Hols 2020

Started by Nick, November 27, 2019, 20:27:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Thinking Greece.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

pxr5

Got back from Tenerife last week. Not great and probably won't go back to the Canaries. Weather was poor and we were blasted by wind all week. We were in a 4 star hotel - more like 2. 

Next year probably Cyprus (again) for spring/summer and still undecided on a winter holiday - maybe further a field to guarantee the weather.

zoony

One of my sons girlfriends parents have got a holiday home near to lake Windermere, so the plan is to have a week there in the summer.

Matt2112

Quote from: Nick on November 27, 2019, 20:27:43 pmThinking Greece.

We will almost certainly go again next year.  Tried Kefalonia this year  - absolutely wonderful place.

Managed to island-hop on a day's boat trip to Zakynthos, visiting the famous "Shipwreck Beach", a stunning cove which has a unique aura about the place and seawater of a preternatural hue I've never seen anywhere else.

Our trip this year was up there with an especially memorable holiday to Pefkos in Rhodes in 2012.

But wherever I've been in Greece (Crete, Halikidiki on the mainland) it's always been marvellous and I'd recommend it to anyone. :)
The keys to happiness

Bez

Back from a few days in Aldeburgh on the Sussex coast.

Great part of the world and good (sensible) COVID practises carried out.

We ate in and avoided the crowded sandy beaches at Southwold / Walberswick during the day, preferring the shingle beachs at Dunwicn and Aldeburgh itself.

Good to get away from home for a few days
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Nick

Got next week off, hoping to find a bolt hole in Cornwall for a couple of days. If not day trips around Devon. I really miss that annual Mediterranean heat and smells of hot land if you know what I mean, olive trees, cicadas etc.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Matt2112

July 28, 2020, 14:27:39 pm #7 Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 15:18:52 pm by Matt2112
After weeks of tracking the yo-yoing package prices for Kos and Rhodes, I've just booked us to Zakynthos, departing next week.

There's a surge of re-bookings to Greece after the mass cancellation of Spanish holidays, which of course is driving prices up, and I've just squeaked home a really great deal ex LBA with Jet2, after a few hours suspense while my booking went through a "pre-authorisation".

Getting a good price looks a bit of a bun fight at the moment, so I'm glad to have that weight off my mind.
The keys to happiness

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 28, 2020, 14:27:39 pmAfter weeks of tracking the yo-yoing package prices for Kos and Rhodes, I've just booked us to Zakynthos, departing next week.

There's a surge of re-bookings to Greece after the mass cancellation of Spanish holidays, which of course is driving prices up, and I've just squeaked home a really great deal ex LBA with Jet2, after a few hours suspense while my booking went through a "pre-authorisation".

Getting a good price looks a bit of a bun fight at the moment, so I'm glad to have that weight off my mind.
Hope it goes well for you mate, but going on holiday is the last thing on my mind at the moment with the way things are.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: zoony on July 29, 2020, 11:28:45 amHope it goes well for you mate, but going on holiday is the last thing on my mind at the moment with the way things are.
Quite right young man.

People need to show restraint. I saw a woman say today that she was entitled no a holiday in Spain. No you're not you daft bint. You're not entitled to anything. Mind, I wouldn't go to these places that the great unwashed go to at the best of times.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

Matt2112

July 29, 2020, 21:14:49 pm #10 Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 21:26:41 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: zoony on July 29, 2020, 11:28:45 amHope it goes well for you mate, but going on holiday is the last thing on my mind at the moment with the way things are.
For many it's a priority the way things are.

And generally I'm not sure what's so reckless about travelling to a sparsely-populated island within a much lower-risk and substantially less affected country while having to adhere to the strictest Covid protocols outside of a hospital that are in place just in case of a close encounter with someone in the 0.05% that make up the infected population; a matter of perspective I suppose.
The keys to happiness

Slim

Quote from: Bez on July 27, 2020, 10:00:26 amBack from a few days in Aldeburgh on the Sussex coast.

Great part of the world and good (sensible) COVID practises carried out.

We ate in and avoided the crowded sandy beaches at Southwold / Walberswick during the day, preferring the shingle beachs at Dunwicn and Aldeburgh itself.

Good to get away from home for a few days

I enjoyed Aldeburgh when we stayed there in 2012. We had the little cottage where Grandpa In My Pocket was set, for a week.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Matt2112

August 05, 2020, 20:16:25 pm #12 Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 20:18:40 pm by Matt2112
Travelled to Zakynthos today.

Yes, long story short, there's more hoops to jump through, and these vary by European destination, however the speed and efficiency of the whole process in this "new normal" today exceeded my already optimistic expectations.

With very similar public protocols in Greece to those in force in the U.K., plus extremely low numbers in the former (look them up), I'm surely far safer on this tiny, sparsely populated island than I am at home; I'm certainly warmer...  8) ;)
The keys to happiness

pdw1

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 05, 2020, 20:16:25 pmTravelled to Zakynthos today.

Yes, long story short, there's more hoops to jump through, and these vary by European destination, however the speed and efficiency of the whole process in this "new normal" today exceeded my already optimistic expectations.

With very similar public protocols in Greece to those in force in the U.K., plus extremely low numbers in the former (look them up), I'm surely far safer on this tiny, sparsely populated island than I am at home; I'm certainly warmer...  8) ;)
Have a great time  :)
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Matt2112

Quote from: pdw1 on August 05, 2020, 21:13:44 pmHave a great time  :)
Thanks Patrick - I'll try to, in between "Covid-proofing" my rental property.  It's not all sun, beaches and Mythos, you know.  ::)
;)
The keys to happiness