RIP Ginger Baker

Started by Nick, October 06, 2019, 12:28:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Thenop

Brilliant drummer - all of us that make music owe him a lot.
Arrogance Is Bliss

Nïckslïkk2112

RIP you miserable old curmudgeon.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

One of the true characters from the first age of rock. Listened to Cream a lot in my teens.

Interesting that many of the larger-than-life characters from those days were drummers. Ginger was if anything an even bigger nutter than Keith Moon.

pdw1

Incredible drummer & complete wanker. RIP
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Slim

Tuned in to 6 Music a few minutes ago and they were playing (what sounded like) a recent interview with Ginger. Within a minute of my tuning in, Ginger was explaining to the interviewer (Shaun Keveney I think) that Keith Moon and John Bonham were nowhere near as good as him.

Nick

He says the same in the great documentary "Beware of Mr Baker" on you tube.

I don't think self doubt was an issue for him.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

The Letter R

Off to see The Music of Cream tomorrow in London - featuring Kofi Baker ( son of Ginger ), Malcolm Bruce ( Son of Jack ) and Will Johns - Eric's Nephew - had it booked for a while now but the night will no doubt be tinged by extra emotion following Gingers Death. Not sure how close Kofi was to his Dad generally, the message on their website reads that their relationship was "mended" at the end which is always a good thing but suggests they weren't always on the best of terms.

"The other day I had a beautiful visit with my dad...we talked about memories and music and he's happy that I'm keeping his legacy alive. Our relationship was mended and he was in a peaceful place.  Thank you all for the kind messages and thoughts. I love my dad and will miss him always."  Kofi Baker

captainkurtz

They weren't close at all - read an interview a few weeks ago where he was absolutely scathing about his Dad..
Anger is a gift.

DavidL

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 12, 2019, 13:36:52 pmThey weren't close at all - read an interview a few weeks ago where he was absolutely scathing about his Dad..
Quite happy to make a living from him though   :-\

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nick on October 07, 2019, 16:27:52 pmHe says the same in the great documentary "Beware of Mr Baker" on you tube.

I don't think self doubt was an issue for him.
It is on iplayer.

It did not mention Hawkwind and Levitaion.

The Letter R

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 12, 2019, 13:36:52 pmThey weren't close at all - read an interview a few weeks ago where he was absolutely scathing about his Dad..
He mentioned at the gig that Ginger gave him Cocaine at 15 - not sure that's in the "Good Parenting" Book