Meat

Started by Nick, August 31, 2019, 20:04:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Quote from: Bez on September 02, 2019, 09:31:41 amI don't eat beef - a hangover from the BSE days.

I've tried over the last year to restrict my intake of processed meat and I also try to restrict my consumption of red meat - although I love bacon and roast lamb / pork

I'm still a fat fecker ::)
We're on 'nitrite-free' bacon now. Supposed to be better for you(?). Slightly less guilt when I have a bacon sarnie now!

zoony

Quote from: Bez on September 02, 2019, 09:31:41 amI don't eat beef - a hangover from the BSE days.

I've tried over the last year to restrict my intake of processed meat and I also try to restrict my consumption of red meat - although I love bacon and roast lamb / pork

I'm still a fat fecker ::)
I only have grilled bacon nowadays, but I'm very fond of those pok slices, covered with mustard, served with mash (50% potato, 50% swede), and a vegetable. One of my favourite meals.

Bez

Quote from: DavidL on September 02, 2019, 10:48:38 amWe're on 'nitrite-free' bacon now. Supposed to be better for you(?). Slightly less guilt when I have a bacon sarnie now!
Any particular supermarket that you get it from, David?

I understand that it comes at a price!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

DavidL

September 02, 2019, 18:47:00 pm #18 Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 18:49:24 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Bez on September 02, 2019, 18:23:39 pmAny particular supermarket that you get it from, David?

I understand that it comes at a price!
You can get it from Sainsbury's. It's by a company called Finnebrogue and they call it Naked bacon. I think it's around £2.50 - £3. I can't really detect any difference in a sarnie.

DavidL

I've just been reminded by my wife that we have also substituted pulled-pork with jackfruit. It's pretty indiscernible from pork with bbq sauce. Lovely in a brioche bun. 
Jesus! I'll be voting Green Party, wearing sandals and joining the anti-fracking lobby soon!

Matt2112

There's no bad food, just bad eating. :)
The keys to happiness

Bez

Quote from: DavidL on September 02, 2019, 18:47:00 pmYou can get it from Sainsbury's. It's by a company called Finnebrogue and they call it Naked bacon. I think it's around £2.50 - £3. I can't really detect any difference in a sarnie.
Ta
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 03, 2019, 10:55:35 amThere's no bad food, just bad eating. :)
And I found that out the hard way!

The Letter R

Agree with Bisto a Ribeye is my favourite cut of steak too.
Generally meat wise am eating less red meat as Maria is not a massive fan so generally only have a steak when out or if I get one from the local butchers and she has something else. I am eating less bacon although every now and again I treat myself to some decent rashers from our butcher - you can really tell the difference, less water coming out when cooking and decent thick cuts that are super tasty.
We eat quiet a lot of fish, the odd lamb shank and bolognaise or chilli along with a bit of Chicken.
Our butchers does a nice range of his own sausages too - the chilli ones are especially good.

Guilty pleasures meat wise are Pork Pies and Sausage Rolls, along with a nice Chicken Balti Pie at Football  ;D

There's not much chance I will become a veggie anytime soon ( unless the Dr advised ) but portions have decreased as has my consumption of red meat.

I'd rather have quality over quantity now - when I was younger that probably wasn't the case  ::)