Meat

Started by Nick, August 31, 2019, 20:04:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

With health and environmental warnings coming from all corners is anybody making an effort to reduce their meat consumption in all of its forms?
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

No, although I haven't had sausage, burgers or pork pie since my heart attack, I still enjoy pork slices, chicken, mince and roast lamb, and I'm not changing that for anybody.

Nïckslïkk2112

No.

Just as Morrisey says: MEAT IS TASTY!
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

No.  Steaks are overrated though.
The keys to happiness

Bisto

September 01, 2019, 13:11:29 pm #4 Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 16:09:08 pm by Bisto
Quote from: Matt2112 on September 01, 2019, 11:49:35 amNo.  Steaks are overrated though.
Are you preparing and cooking them properly? It can make a big difference to the flavour and texture.
Ribeye is the best cut on a reasonable budget. You can get a decent size Ribeye for under a fiver in Lidls, their steaks are very good quality for the money too.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

zoony

You can't beat a nice sirloin.

Bisto

Quote from: zoony on September 01, 2019, 13:32:52 pmYou can't beat a nice sirloin.
I disagree, Ribeyes have more flavour than Sirloin because of the marbling

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

DavidL

We like some of the Quorn products and haven't used beef mince for years. The ready-made cottage pies are good and the other day we made a nice spaghetti meal using Quorn cocktail sausages and a Lloyd Grossman sauce. We started to regularly make stir-fry meals using just vegetables but we now add Quorn pieces for protein.
Still like meat though and couldn't see me going completely veggie.

rufus the dawg

River Cottage veg every day is worth getting

Nick

Quote from: DavidL on September 01, 2019, 15:56:54 pmWe like some of the Quorn products and haven't used beef mince for years. The ready-made cottage pies are good and the other day we made a nice spaghetti meal using Quorn cocktail sausages and a Lloyd Grossman sauce. We started to regularly make stir-fry meals using just vegetables but we now add Quorn pieces for protein.
Still like meat though and couldn't see me going completely veggie.
Never tried Quorn, must give it a go. As I understand it you have to give it some flavour to go with. Just cooked a mince chilli but next time think I will do a quorn version.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

Quote from: Bisto on September 01, 2019, 14:10:02 pmI disagree, Ribeyes have more flavour than Sirloin because of the marbling
All down to individual taste mate.

Matt2112

Quote from: Bisto on September 01, 2019, 13:11:29 pmAre you preparing and cooking them properly? It can make a big difference to the flavour and texture.
Ribeye is the best cut on a reasonable budget. You can get a decent size Ribeye for under a fiver in Lidls, their steaks are very good quality for the money too.
Mate, my cooking abilities just about stretch to putting a pizza in the oven. 😄😉

I suppose I should have more accurately put "over-priced" - I've just never thought the premium on the price for steaks as justified for what they are, particularly in restaurants. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The keys to happiness

Bisto

September 01, 2019, 18:24:57 pm #12 Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 18:26:33 pm by Bisto
Quote from: Matt2112 on September 01, 2019, 17:41:58 pmMate, my cooking abilities just about stretch to putting a pizza in the oven. 😄😉

I suppose I should have more accurately put "over-priced" - I've just never thought the premium on the price for steaks as justified for what they are, particularly in restaurants. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Best steak to get (on a reasonable budget) is Ribeye.

Allow the steak to acclimate to room temperature, pour a little olive oil onto a plate and rub the steaks with it, then make cross cut diagonal lines on both sides and rub salt flakes (kosher or sea salt) and course ground black pepper all over and into the steak. Allow the steak/s to sit for 60 minutes on the plate.

Place the steak/s in a heavy gauge, pre heated, pan 220° ish, (a heavy griddle is even better if available but you'll need to keep brushing the surface with olive oil whenever you turn the steak or it will stick and tear) Sear on both sides, a minute each side then turn the heat down to 140° ISH and keep turning the steaks every couple of minutes for 6 - 8 minutes (according to your tastes)  Now turn the heat off the pan and allow the steaks/to sit in the residual heat for a minute a side then transfer to heated plate/s, leave the steak/s to rest for a further 3-5 minutes before serving

DavidL

September 01, 2019, 22:35:24 pm #13 Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 22:37:28 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Nick on September 01, 2019, 17:05:07 pmNever tried Quorn, must give it a go. As I understand it you have to give it some flavour to go with. Just cooked a mince chilli but next time think I will do a quorn version.
Personally, I find it is absolutely no different to really lean minced steak in dishes like bolognaise, chilli or even in a well-seasoned cottage pie. Also it is a fungus and contains no soya (which, I've been led to believe, is not too good for you)
Makes you run fast too! (honestly! Ask Mo Farah - or it could be the drugs)

Bez

I don't eat beef - a hangover from the BSE days.

I've tried over the last year to restrict my intake of processed meat and I also try to restrict my consumption of red meat - although I love bacon and roast lamb / pork

I'm still a fat fecker ::)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%