We need to talk about Boris

Started by Matt2112, July 27, 2019, 04:07:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

This is a list UK Railway comapanies and who owned them until the Conservatives nationalised them. And it was not because of Brexit. I wonder if the UK owns any European railway companies.

c2c: Italian state
Chiltern: German state
Caledonian sleeper: PRIVATE
CrossCountry: German state
East Midlands: Dutch state
Eurostar: French state
Gatwick Express: French state
Grand Central: German state
Great Northern: French state
GWR: PRIVATE
Greater Anglia: Dutch state
Heathrow Express: PRIVATE
Hull Trains: PRIVATE
LNER: British state
London Northwestern Railway: Dutch state
London Overground: German state
London Underground: British state
Merseyrail: Dutch state
Northern: German state
Northern Ireland Railways: British state
Scotrail: Dutch state
South Western Railway: Hong Kong state
Southeastern: French state
Southern: French state
Stansted Express: Dutch state
TfL rail: Hong Kong state
Thameslink: French state
TransPennine Express: PRIVATE
Transport for Wales: French state
West Coast: Italian state
West Midlands Railway: Dutch state
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Thailand Express

Quote from: Slim on February 27, 2020, 13:44:29 pmVery much an admirer - canny operator, that one. The British people owe him a huge debt of gratitude and I trust he will be rewarded with a significant honour before too long.

döm

When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Nïckslïkk2112

Like we need a Seppo to criticise our PM...
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

döm

When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Slim

Quote from: döm on March 28, 2020, 21:51:50 pmThe NY Times is not a fan (well this NY Times journalist anyway)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/opinion/coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson.html#click=https://t.co/XlqdOeHzb1
Ah, what a shame. What a great shame.

I genuinely can't help thinking that Boris Johnson is going to be remembered as one of the very great Prime Ministers of modern times - Churchill, Thatcher, Johnson. His handling and triumph over Brexit was undoubtedly historic in very difficult circumstances, and so far in the greatest crisis our country has faced for decades his premiership has been inspirational.

He's a real character, a real leader, and perhaps most importantly in the current circumstances - a proven winner. And that's why people love him. That last one is probably the biggest reason that some people hate him, to be fair.

Beacuse one measure of the calibre success of a Conservative leader has always been the degree to which the left hate him or her. See also : Margaret Thatcher. Boris has only won one election so far; I'll be interested to see if he can win the next two as well.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

rufus the dawg

I guess you will be sending flowers and paying for his Harley street DR, Nurse their PPE, ventilator and oxygen.

Bisto

Quote from: Slim on March 28, 2020, 23:56:44 pmBeacuse one measure of the calibre success of a Conservative leader has always been the degree to which the left hate him or her. See also : Margaret Thatcher. Boris has only won one election so far; I'll be interested to see if he can win the next two as well.

True colours showing again, didn't take long for you to revert to type. It's typical that you should think and frame it that way and the fact that you care more about (the side you personally identify with) winning than the character of the people actually competing, how they play the game, or what that victory will mean for sections of society that you obviously look down on, and lack any kind of real empathy or sympathy for, says it all far more effectively, and damningly, than anything I could point to. At least you're consistent.

The irony, and tragedy, is, that the Tories won by default; the fact that they could put forward such an appalling candidate, in an unprecedented era of appalling candidates, to lead them to electoral success proves it. Labour and the LidDems are basket cases. Even (not so) Little Lord Fauntleroy (Jacob Rees Mogg) could have done the same, and with far less artifice and duplicity.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

Quote from: Bisto on March 29, 2020, 17:39:02 pmTrue colours showing again, didn't take long for you to revert to type. It's typical that you should think and frame it that way and the fact that you care more about (the side you personally identify with) winning than the character of the people actually competing, how they play the game, or what that victory will mean for sections of society that you obviously look down on, and lack any kind of real empathy or sympathy for, says it all far more effectively, and damningly, than anything I could point to. At least you're consistent.

The irony, and tragedy, is, that the Tories won by default; the fact that they could put forward such an appalling candidate, in an unprecedented era of appalling candidates, to lead them to electoral success proves it. Labour and the LidDems are basket cases. Even (not so) Little Lord Fauntleroy (Jacob Rees Mogg) could have done the same, and with far less artifice and duplicity.

Sorry, old chap - none of what you've typed here is particularly coherent and your second paragraph is even more nonsensical than the first. I'm passionate about the success of the Conservative Party at least in part because of the spirit and character of those who make up its ranks, but more especially because I care about all of society, especially the vulnerable and poor. That's empathy and sympathy.

You may well imagine that the stereotype of the typical Tory you believe in isn't consistent with that, but that's only really a problem in your head, not the real world.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

döm

I hope he recovers quickly. It's funny though. In a previous life the thought of having Raab in charge would have frightened the life out of me but having the likes of Johnson and Trump in charge of their respective countries has normalised having idiots in charge.

rufus the dawg

does he know where Dover is yet? god bless his sole.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on April 08, 2020, 00:18:27 amdoes he know where Dover is yet? god bless his sole.
Very funny, rufus! I just don't know whether you intended it to be 😉

rufus the dawg

Quote from: DavidL on April 08, 2020, 01:03:14 amVery funny, rufus! I just don't know whether you intended it to be 😉
David.

The Letter R

Quote from: rufus the dawg on April 08, 2020, 00:18:27 amdoes he know where Dover is yet? god bless his sole.
Bet he can't wait to put his feet up ;-)

döm

He'll soon find somewhere to plaice them