We need to talk about Boris

Started by Matt2112, July 27, 2019, 04:07:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Matt2112

Following on from the thread about BoJo's ultimately successful campaign to become PM.

Tell you what, I've just happened upon BBC News coverage where me mate Hilary Benn stands up and shows the Labour front bench how you calmly ask a question of a senior Tory that has him scrabbling around for an answer he can't give.

To think, Corbyn gave this class act the Spanish Archer from the shadow cabinet.  :-\
The keys to happiness

Richard_2112

Already touting the idea of direct rule of Northern Ireland and the pound has hit a two year low. We're in for a very rough ride with Boris at the helm...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Slim

Hillary Benn is a very clever and capable politician, but I think he's been intent on defying a referendum result since before he became chairman of the select committee for Brexit. You might think he's a class act; I certainly don't.

I'll take a politician like Boris, who will defend the people's interest and fight our country's corner, thanks. Rather than sell it out in the service of foreign powers like Benn.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Richard_2112 on July 30, 2019, 17:58:19 pmAlready touting the idea of direct rule of Northern Ireland 
Good.

Then do the same for Scotland and Wales.

One United Kingdom. One Parliament. Simples.
Legend in my own Mind


Matt2112

Hilary Benn May be a remainer but as far as I can tell he accepts the result and I've only ever seen a pragmatic and dignified stance on his part.  If in any way he intends to undermine the result then I think he is profoundly wrong to hold that position.  But he doesn't strike me as having a Swinson-esque zeal to sabotage the vote come what may.

Look at Hilary Benn in the round though and he's a genuinely progressive and liberal politician who serves his constituency extremely well.  He's wasted in a party led by Corbyn.
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg


Nïckslïkk2112

Liar? Yes, he's a politician.
Racist? Probably not, he's Turkish.
Legend in my own Mind


The Letter R

I'm no grand supporter of Boris but will give him a couple of months and see what he does with the mess we're in.
If he can get a better deal out of the EU I will be very surprised - best I can think is a fudge on the TM deal over the backstop. Personally I can see us still being in the EU at Christmas......
The main problem I have with him is that although he can at times talk a good game I never know if I can believe him or if indeed he believes himself at times......

zoony

Quote from: The Letter R on August 01, 2019, 09:17:46 amI'm no grand supporter of Boris but will give him a couple of months and see what he does with the mess we're in.
If he can get a better deal out of the EU I will be very surprised - best I can think is a fudge on the TM deal over the backstop. Personally I can see us still being in the EU at Christmas......
The main problem I have with him is that although he can at times talk a good game I never know if I can believe him or if indeed he believes himself at times......
The 'backstop' will not be a problem to a PM who is committed to taking us out of the EU, unlike the last one. It is nothing more than a voodoo spell to bewitch and befuddle the feeble minded, and was invented by Theresa May as a sneaky customs union that would continue to bind us to Brussels rules.

döm

Unfortunately the backstop will be a problem.  The Good Friday agreement which has maintained relative peace in Northern Ireland for the last couple of decades and which all parties have agreed will be maintained is dependent on no border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Leaving without a deal and on WTO terms necessitates a border between the 2 countries.  Boris Johnson will need to be a genius to square that circle.  If he manages it kudos to him!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

zoony

Quote from: döm on August 01, 2019, 15:56:39 pmUnfortunately the backstop will be a problem.  The Good Friday agreement which has maintained relative peace in Northern Ireland for the last couple of decades and which all parties have agreed will be maintained is dependent on no border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Leaving without a deal and on WTO terms necessitates a border between the 2 countries.  Boris Johnson will need to be a genius to square that circle.  If he manages it kudos to him!
We'll see mate. Remainers will just cling to everything to try and see democracy fail.

Nick

Problem is Zoony you have to overcome this logic..https://twitter.com/mwalker50/status/1156712418258694149 see the Jonathon Powell interview from Newsnight, great explanation of the issue.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 31, 2019, 09:15:50 amHilary Benn May be a remainer but as far as I can tell he accepts the result and I've only ever seen a pragmatic and dignified stance on his part.  If in any way he intends to undermine the result then I think he is profoundly wrong to hold that position.  But he doesn't strike me as having a Swinson-esque zeal to sabotage the vote come what may.

Look at Hilary Benn in the round though and he's a genuinely progressive and liberal politician who serves his constituency extremely well.  He's wasted in a party led by Corbyn.

There's nothing liberal about him, he's just less honest than Swinson.

Quite encouraged to read the most recent YouGov voting intention poll:




That's 45% in total for the democratic centre parties, and the Conservative figure reflects an impressive first week for the new Prime Minister, as does the left's obvious fear. Even I didn't expect him to be quite so assured and sure-footed so early on.

There's no doubt that Boris' conciliatory, constructive determination to fight the UK's corner and offer commendable clarity on Brexit for a change has been popular.

The important thing now is that the democratic mainstream parties work constructively together for the same goal against our enemies abroad and the Little Europeans at home.

I'll be interested to see how long the EU's intransigence lasts in the current circumstances. What a shame we couldn't have taken the same approach three years ago.

BasspedalMan

Boris is a self-serving Twat, although I should really have found out what the Latin for 'Twat' was... If he has any nuts whatsoever he will revoke article 50 and start again. I am not scared of Brexit per-se but the horlicks made of it up to now means that any outcome is completely untenable.

I have to admit to enjoying his first foray to the Dispatch Box though!
Ok, I'll join in...

1981 x 1
1983 x 4
1988 x 2
1992 x 2
1996 x 2
1997 x 5
2002 x 3
2004 x 7
2007 x 7
2011 x 3
2013 x 3

Slim

Well - revoking Article 50 would still be something of a betrayal of the referendum result, even if the intention is to resubmit it and start afresh. Because it's been over three years now and we need certainty, and closure.