Apollo 11

Started by Reg, June 20, 2019, 17:59:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

Ooh this looks right up my street. One for the IMAX in just over a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Co8Z8BQgWc
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

Reviewed by the excellent Scott Manley a while back:

Reg

Thanks for that James, I'm even more determined to see it now.

Reg

Quite astonishing.

I think the biggest thing that this brought home to me, was the sheer number of people involved. Not just over the years leading up to the moon landing, but during the actual launch.  There was this fantastic tracking shot in the (please excuse me if I don't get the actual terminology correct) Firing Control Room at the launch site - starting at one end of this large room, with banks and banks of equipment with rows and rows of displays, no, not displays - those rolls of paper printing out lines and so on - and the camera just tracks backwards through the room. Each row has many people in it, and so there were, I think, hundreds of people in that room alone. And that wasn't even Mission Control (that was in the Manned Spaceflight Centre in Houston, Texas).

That was a rubbish explanation for an awesome scene - kudos for the person that had the foresight and vision to film it back then. And of course, to whoever had the bright idea of having lots of film cameras filming, well, 'stuff'. 

The music was right on the button too (Matt Morton) - made using technology that was available at the time - a heavy, pulsating synth soundtrack which was used really well to add to the tension. Even though you knew how it was all going to pan out.

I'm so pleased I got to see this in the IMAX.