• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

The Conservative Party Leadership Election of 2019

Started by Slim, May 29, 2019, 15:23:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Quote from: zoony on July 10, 2019, 00:20:06 amWell none of that was mentioned on my voting slip.
neither was WTO or no deal

Nick

Sovereign countries choose their own envoys. They don't allow them to be bullied or humiliated. Kowtowing to a foreign power or failing to defend those sent to promote Britain's interest shows weakness and undermines our security as others will think they can push us around.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

But, the dozy twonk resigned. He didn't have that long left on his tenure either did he?

All he had to do was wait a few days and Trump would have forgotten all about it, he'd had had another bee flying around inside his head.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

Quote from: Nick on July 10, 2019, 18:55:33 pmSovereign countries choose their own envoys. They don't allow them to be bullied or humiliated. Kowtowing to a foreign power or failing to defend those sent to promote Britain's interest shows weakness and undermines our security as others will think they can push us around.
He resigned after being found to be an undiplomatic diplomat. His position was untenable.

Nick

Sir Kim's observations were spot on. One should not have to resign for being correct. He was paid to inform Whitehall of the situation in the USA. Trump has only today described the kidney as "having a special place in the heart". 

Nïckslïkk2112

So, he was getting paid to state the bleeding obvious. Job's a good 'un.

Maybe he was embarrassed by earning so much for so little so manufactured his own way out :)
Legend in my own Mind

rufus the dawg

Quote from: DavidL on July 10, 2019, 19:23:48 pmHe resigned after being found to be an undiplomatic diplomat. His position was untenable.
No it was a private email. This is his job.

DavidL

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 10, 2019, 19:17:40 pmBut, the dozy twonk resigned. He didn't have that long left on his tenure either did he?

All he had to do was wait a few days and Trump would have forgotten all about it, he'd had had another bee flying around inside his head.
yes to this

rufus the dawg

Quote from: DavidL on July 11, 2019, 07:37:25 amThat became public
I think you are missing the point of a diplomat. One of the reasons for a diplomat is to give their assessment of the Government to where they are appointed. It is not the diplomats problem that their views became public.

What do you think the views of the British Diplomat in Zimbabwe would have been during the Mugabi years?

Mugabi is a brilliant bloke and he runs the country really well and he really looks after his citizens.

Nick

Boris was taken apart by Andrew Neil last night. Complete blusterer, AN was very good at exposing Boris's lack of capability.

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on July 11, 2019, 09:54:26 amI think you are missing the point of a diplomat. One of the reasons for a diplomat is to give their assessment of the Government to where they are appointed. It is not the diplomats problem that their views became public.

What do you think the views of the British Diplomat in Zimbabwe would have been during the Mugabi years?

Mugabi is a brilliant bloke and he runs the country really well and he really looks after his citizens.
;D
I wouldn't disagree with that but I'd have thought one of the first lessons at 'diplomat school' is the one that explains that email is not a secure medium for conveying opinions that may be used to undermine your position.
If Mugabe had taken offence to a diplomat's view he could have expelled them. It is in the host country's power to do so or indeed refuse to accept someone they do not want in position.

The Letter R

Quote from: DavidL on July 13, 2019, 08:48:06 am;D
I wouldn't disagree with that but I'd have thought one of the first lessons at 'diplomat school' is the one that explains that email is not a secure medium for conveying opinions that may be used to undermine your position.
If Mugabe had taken offence to a diplomat's view he could have expelled them. It is in the host country's power to do so or indeed refuse to accept someone they do not want in position.
How do you suggest the information is communicated then? - we're living in the modern world David these sorts of things are not written on parchment and sealed with wax anymore. All these sorts of communications are supposed to be private and for government officials / trusted civil servants only, who have signed the official secrets act. The publication of these is an act of treason and should be investigated and punished as such. I would also expect to see all our senior ministers 100% supporting Sir Kim.

DavidL

Quote from: The Letter R on July 15, 2019, 07:52:40 amHow do you suggest the information is communicated then? - we're living in the modern world David these sorts of things are not written on parchment and sealed with wax anymore. All these sorts of communications are supposed to be private.....
They are not, though. A diplomatic envoy can be useful.

The Letter R

Quote from: DavidL on July 15, 2019, 10:42:55 amThey are not, though. A diplomatic envoy can be useful.
So it's OK for civil servants who have signed the official secrets act to share Government communications externally and really our Ambassador should have verbally communicated to an envoy and trusted them to accurately communicate this to others....hmmm - that's going to work well!!??