The Conservative Party Leadership Election of 2019

Started by Slim, May 29, 2019, 16:23:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 07, 2019, 15:50:15 pmBoris suddenly odds-on everywhere, looks like he's being lumped on now.  Raab and Rory both drifting along with the rest of the market - except for Hunt (9/1) who is still attracting interest.

Keeping my powder dry as otherwise I haven't a clue what to do really;)
A bit like the Tory party at the moment !!  ;D ;D
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Matt2112

The keys to happiness

Slim

And the Labour Party, without a doubt. I couldn't help but laugh when Corbyn described his "incredible victory" in Peterborough as a huge vindication for Labour's position. You'd think he'd just won a General Election.

Reality check: Labour got a bit more than 48% of the votes in that constituency at the last election, and they still lost nationally. Yesterday they managed slightly less than 31%. Slightly more than 17% of the overall vote deserted them. Yet they are the main opposition to a party of government in mid-term that is demonstrably struggling to maintain confidence and support.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.

Slim

Quote from: Slim on May 29, 2019, 16:23:15 pmForget about the private prosecution stunt in the news today. It will do nothing but enhance his support among those of us who have grown tired of the antics of the Remainer Flat Earthers.

And as expected, it's been thrown out without Boris ever having to appear in court. The dickhead who organised this stunt has wasted £300,000 of small-minded remoaner money donated via crowd-funding on this and trashed his own reputation. Good times.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on June 08, 2019, 00:17:09 amAnd as expected, it's been thrown out without Boris ever having to appear in court. The dickhead who organised this stunt has wasted £300,000 of small-minded remoaner money donated via crowd-funding on this and trashed his own reputation. Good times.
It would be nice to think some of that money came from Gina Miller!

Slim

Michael Gove has owned up to doing coke when working as a journalist, which I find commendably honest - or perhaps he just wants to exorcise that ghost before it comes back to haunt him in the top job.

Will lose him a few votes if he makes it to the final ballot.

Received wisdom has it that the two candidates to be offered to the wider party will be a remainer and a Brexiteer. If that's the case, I'm struggling to think who the remainer might be. Rory possibly.

Nick

Wonder if Boris was as much of a junkie as his colleagues.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Matt2112

June 08, 2019, 13:00:15 pm #52 Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 13:02:13 pm by Matt2112
I thought doing recreational drugs was part of a journalist's person specification.  :)

Anyway, total non-issue, or should be.  Another manifestation of the current tiresome phenomenon of long-ago peccadilloes being dredged up for lazy smears.

Gove is wise to say he "deeply regrets" it; whether he genuinely does or not doesn't matter - I actually don't think it's anything to be ashamed of.

Either way, it shouldn't affect his leadership candidacy and it should all soon blow over. ("Blow" over; no? Yes? Please yourselves  :) )

Can't quite believe I find myself defending the chap, by the way, but there it is.
The keys to happiness

Slim

To be honest I did coke a couple of times in the '90s, maybe not as often as Michael. I haven't touched it or any other recreational substance since 2001, excluding alcohol. It made not the slightest difference to my ability to do my job, then or now. Alcohol has, a few times.

But - it is of course against the law and that's the problem, I think, for a politician. Especially one aspiring to be a Prime Minister. I can understand the raised eyebrows, especially given that he's already been a justice minister.

Heard that Oliver Letwin is supporting him in the leadership contest which will not do his chances in the wider party vote, hereafter known as the Big Ballot, any good.

If I still had a vote I'd vote for Boris I think, assuming his parliamentary colleagues let him get that far. I prefer Raab in some ways but Boris does have that transcendent Heineken quality of appealing to people who aren't usually Tory voters.

Nick

Nick

Rory Stewart- opium in Iran, this sounds a bit more classy and Empire like.

Richard_2112

The resounding hypocrisy of Michael Gove deeming it perfectly okay for him to have taken a class A drug on several occasions, but when he was education secretary he passed a code of conduct that included disqualification for teachers convicted of possessing class A drugs!

So snorting coke makes you unfit to teach, but fine to run the education system, the justice department, the environment department, and possibly lead the country!?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Slim

You aren't quite drawing a fair comparison, there. It's already the case that anyone running the education system or any other government department will be disqualified permanently if found to be in possession of class A drugs. It's highly unlikely that he was ever in possession of cocaine while justice secretary.

I don't think it was the case that people who owned up to using cocaine years earlier were disqualified from teaching. Just people using it while in the job. Not sure about that one actually. If it was the case then yes it's an interesting one, but I doubt that Michael Gove was responsible for that rule.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on June 09, 2019, 00:44:04 amYou aren't quite drawing a fair comparison, there. It's already the case that anyone running the education system or any other government department will be disqualified permanently if found to be in possession of class A drugs. It's highly unlikely that he was ever in possession of cocaine while justice secretary.

I don't think it was the case that people who owned up to using cocaine years earlier were disqualified from teaching. Just people using it while in the job. Not sure about that one actually. If it was the case then yes it's an interesting one, but I doubt that Michael Gove was responsible for that rule.
There would be, quite rightly in my opinion, a different view taken on those that snort a line or two in private and those that are using (wherever) that have a huge influence over children whilst in their care.

Slim

In any case - whatever Michael's chances were, and I don't think they were strong to be fair, I think they've been scuppered by this. Quite a lot of discussion about it in the media today, and Andrew Marr entertainingly asked him "should you have gone to prison?" this morning.

I'm not sure that everyone who gets caught in possession of personal-use quantities of cocaine goes to prison, but it is an option.

Most of the other candidates have, wisely I think, steered clear of scoring points off this but Savid Javid had a go. I'm starting to suspect that he has that draconian / paternalistic / moralistic tendency that some Conservatives have. I hope he doesn't win.