The Conservative Party Leadership Election of 2019

Started by Slim, May 29, 2019, 16:23:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Quote from: döm on July 24, 2019, 16:41:27 pmIt was quite long and I dont think you're the intended audience. Brilliantly written nonetheless.  Using the word anarchy was perhaps a touch strong but he could well end up being the last PM of the UK or the PM who starts the process that concludes with its break-up

They stopped reading, says it all. Slim stopped reading, so so funny.

Gawd I giggled, I expect nothing more.

Maybe post a link to Peter and Jane next time.

Peter and Jane "How to vote for a racist and a liar" he might read that.
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

Nïckslïkk2112

Where is the democracy in the EU?
Come on Dogman, explain it to us, how we can we as "Europeans" influence the way the EU is run?

Why should anybody be beholden to an organisation deriving from the European Coal and Steel Council? It's like if the NCB and BSC decided to resurrect the British Empire!
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 25, 2019, 09:56:54 amWhere is the democracy in the EU?
Come on Dogman, explain it to us, how we can we as "Europeans" influence the way the EU is run?

Why should anybody be beholden to an organisation deriving from the European Coal and Steel Council? It's like if the NCB and BSC decided to resurrect the British Empire!
It gives the countries involved a collective say in whats going on.

One of the principal reasons why the UK joined in the first place was because here was this big organisation on its doorstep that was making decisions that was affecting the UK.

Becoming a member enabled it to influence and shape those decisions.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on July 25, 2019, 10:24:25 amBecoming a member enabled it to influence and shape those decisions.
It did?

Not enough, like obvs, or we wouldn't be where we are today!
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on July 25, 2019, 13:43:38 pmIt did?

Not enough, like obvs, or we wouldn't be where we are today!
What policies enacted by the EU that the UK has committed to has the UK been opposed to?

Its all optics. Largely driven by Johnson and his anti EU ilk when he was a journalist at the Telegraph.

Bent bananas, prawn cocktail crisps and other BS

Anyone for a kipper delivery?

Slim

I think you'd be hard pushed to make your case to the UK's fishing industry for one, Dom. Or to people who have been put out of work or had their wages driven down by huge-scale immigration from Eastern Europe. And controlling our own laws and borders has little to do with prawn cocktail crisps. I don't think the £39 billion we waste on the EU every year has much to do with the geometry of the bananas we import.

But I have no need really to make these points; I already won that argument in June 2016 and the matter was settled by a referendum. I do so nonetheless for courtesy.

Very sure touch from the Prime Minister in the Commons today - nothing bumbling about that performance. Very many people right across the political spectrum will be relieved to see that we have a team in charge that will firmly put the national interest first. Friendly, but businesslike, firm, assertive.

No more cap in hand. No more treating our country's historic opportunity like a damage limitation exercise. What a criminal waste these last three years of Theresa the Appeaser have been.

I wonder if there will be a General Election this year? The Labour vote is badly split at the moment. The Conservative vote has the potential to hold firm under a Brexit-committed government. Only a small minority of Conservatives are Euro-snivellers.

Slim

Quote from: rufus the dawg on July 25, 2019, 00:17:20 amThey stopped reading, says it all. Slim stopped reading, so so funny.

Gawd I giggled, I expect nothing more.

Maybe post a link to Peter and Jane next time.

Peter and Jane "How to vote for a racist and a liar" he might read that.

Hi Rufus!  Not surprisingly (I'm sorry to say I think you're more than a little dim), what I typed went over your head.

Read slowly: I stopped reading that piece because it was evident that it was nonsense.

Now I grant you, your own posts fall squarely into that category as well. And they tend to be semi-literate at best. But they aren't nearly as long - and I am a patient and tolerant sort of chap to a point.

Chris Quartly

Next time someone directly insults another user on here I will be suspending their account. 

The pathetic rhetoric on here is at best immature and at worst cancerous. 

Act like adults and have actual conversations or don't bother being here.
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Nïckslïkk2112

July 25, 2019, 20:14:25 pm #293 Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 20:18:21 pm by Nïckslïkk2112
Can't life imitate Politics?

If anyone wants to insult me, feel free :)
It won't come anywhere close to what's been said to me in the past. Like water off a duck's back to me. Heck, I'd still let you buy me a pint, no matter what you said to me.
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

Quote from: Chris Quartly on July 25, 2019, 19:32:28 pmNext time someone directly insults another user on here I will be suspending their account.

"Nothing is perfect, but to suggest ambassadors should verbally communicate is either ignorant, stupid, or just pigheaded..."
:o ;D ;)

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on July 25, 2019, 16:31:21 pmHi Rufus!  Not surprisingly (I'm sorry to say I think you're more than a little dim), what I typed went over your head.

Read slowly: I stopped reading that piece because it was evident that it was nonsense.

Now I grant you, your own posts fall squarely into that category as well. And they tend to be semi-literate at best. But they aren't nearly as long - and I am a patient and tolerant sort of chap to a point.
I'm still giggling, so so funny.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on July 25, 2019, 16:31:21 pmRead slowly: I stopped reading that piece because it was evident that it was nonsense.

Hook line and sinker.

Nïckslïkk2112

Well, I read all the article, even though the author's name should have put me off straight away as it may as well have said "Unrepentant Fenian Bastard".

Here's an article saying that Fintan O'Toole couldn't be more wrong:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/01/24/fintan-otoole-could-not-be-more-wrong-about-brexit/

It might be nonsense. It might not. Depends on whether it supports your view or not.
Legend in my own Mind

Matt2112

Watched today's respective leaders' speeches as an interested non-partisan observer.

An adrenaline-fuelled Boris on form, of course - made me chuckle in all honesty when he was laying into the opposition benches.  But let's see how his rousing rhetoric today stacks up once we're a bit further down the line.

The stopped clock that is Corbyn asked a few pertinent questions, but his party will not represent a credible opposition while he and his   bunch of front bench radical left  fellow regressives are at the helm.

Get your Dave Millibands and your Hilary Benns sitting there and they might start broadening their appeal.  We can dream.
The keys to happiness

döm

Not going to quote Slim's long post but will answer it.

FISHING - not sure how the UK fishing industry will benefit from Brexit. The majority of fish caught by the UK fishing industry goes to the EU and so the UK will want to achieve a good deal. Inevitably that will include access rights for EU fisherman.  Regardless of this there is the underlying issue of low fish stocks. There will still need to be controls on how much is caught.

EASTERN EUROPEAN IMMIGRATION.
There was absolutely no obligation imposed on the UK by the EU  on the nationals of the newly joined countries from Eastern Europe. That decision was made and confirmed by successive UK governments, not the EU.

You talk about cap in hand. That's not the relationship the UK has with the EU at the moment.  It's the relationship it can expect though  when it is desperate to get a good trade deal from the likes of the EU and the US etc when its out on its own, economy suffering badly through the imposition of WTO trade terms