Rocketman

Started by Reg, May 28, 2019, 21:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

Well worth the admission price. Highly entertaining. Dexter Fletcher is on a bit of a (rock and) roll.

I don't know who I would have chosen to play Elton John, but I doubt that Taron Egerton would have been an obvious choice for me. However, he does a cracking job (in my humble view), and he is a very competent singer too.

Followed this up by watching Taron Egerton at home in Kingsman, and then both Taron Egerton and Elton John in Kingsman : The Golden Circle  ;D 

If Golden Circle proves one thing - it is that Elton John can't act!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

zoony

Doubt if I'll ever watch this, but it would definitely win in a choice with Bohemian Rhapsody.

Bez

Went to the cinema with Mrs B to see this on Monday....

I wasn't as convinced as Reg. It was OK. A bit contrived and sets up nicely for the "stage musical" which I expect to see in theatres in the West End within 18 months...

Cynical? Moi?
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Reg

I intend to get this for 'er indoors for Christmas on Bluray, so I had no problems in bagging it temporarily from another source so that we could watch it again for her birthday.

If anything, it was better on a repeat viewing. It has made me want to check out Dexter Fletcher's earlier output - namely "Eddie The Eagle" and "Sunshine on Leith". I suspect that Mr. Fletcher will be very much in demand after his work on Bohemian Rhapsody, and the fantastic Rocketman.

Musically, I prefer Bohemian Rhapsody, but overall, Rocketman is a better film. There, I've said it. 

I just wish that they had shown it in the Imax. Ho hum.

Here is a somewhat gushing review from Mark Kermode:

https://binged.it/31G5eVY
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Matt2112

Coincidentally I was reading about this film today.

Haven't seen it yet but it's on the list.
The keys to happiness