CANADA

Started by zoony, May 18, 2019, 14:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

I've got an appointment at work next week with a pension consultant. As I'm 55 next June, I will be entitled to 25% of my pension pot, tax free in a lump sum. Depending on how much I'm entitled to, one of the things I could be interested in spending some of my money on is a once in a lifetime holiday, and Canada is a place that I would very much like to visit. Has anyone got any ideas or recommendations for a trip there? Obviously I would like to take some of the more famous RUSH sites in if I did go there!

BaldiePete

Toronto is a great place to visit. The obvious tourist stuff you should do would include the CN Tower. Are you brave enough to stand on the glass floor? Also you should definitely go to Niagara Falls and take the option of going in the tunnels behind and beside the falls. If you are staying in Toronto and hiring a car it's about 80 miles away. Alternatively there are day trips from Toronto to Niagara by bus. St Catharine's which is Peart's home town is near there and you can go to Lakeside Park and get your photo taken beside the sign.

In Toronto take the ferry out to the Toronto Islands. Fantastic views of the city skyline from there.

Rush stuff in Toronto has to include a visit to the Ontario Legislative Building (the building on the cover of Moving Pictures) and to Massey Hall where ATWAS was recorded. Both of those are very central in the city.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Legislative_Building

Slightly further out is Danforth & Pape but in reality it's just a road junction (where Danforth Avenue meets Pape Avenue) which you can get to from Downtown by Metro. If you stand in the right place you can get a selfie with both street names in it.

Lots of folk go to the Orbit Room, a club part-owned by Alex but I've never been so can't comment.

BaldiePete

Me standing on the glass floor with a horrific hangover. Not recommended.

It's a long way down.

You recognise this building of course.

zoony

Thanks for that Pete. So I could get all that in by staying in Toronto then?

BaldiePete

Quote from: zoony on May 19, 2019, 11:13:31 am
Thanks for that Pete. So I could get all that in by staying in Toronto then?

No problem. It's unlikely you could get to St Catharines and Lakeside Park without a car but all the rest (if you are happy with a bus trip to Niagara Falls) are either in central Toronto or within easy reach of it. The CN Tower is in on the waterfront right in the centre of Toronto. It's maybe 1.5 miles from there to the Ontario Legislative Building (and there's a bus or metro(underground) to get you there if you don't fancy walking). Massey Hall is in the area between the two.

zoony

When is the best time of year to go then mate? Did you book flights and accommodation separately, or get a package? I'm not being nosey, just trying to get as much info as I can!

BaldiePete

I've been twice (well once as a kid as well). I've been in June and October. June can be very hot (more than 30 degrees) but pretty much everywhere is air-conditioned. October was very pleasant, starting to get a cooler edge on the temperature, but I wouldn't leave it too late, because when winter kicks in in Canada it really kicks in. I booked everything separately, flights, accommodation and Rush gigs  ;D  I have a cousin in Toronto so stayed with her some of the time but have also stayed in hotels there that I found online. Try booking.com. You'll be best to look in the main downtown area around from the lakefront up Yonge Street and the surrounding streets. If you'd rather have someone do it all for you there will be plenty of tours which organise it all for you. Check out a traditional travel agent and see what they say.

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/destinations/canada/toronto-holidays

https://www.canadianaffair.com/holidays/canada

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/destinations/toronto/toronto-holidays

zoony

Thanks for your help Pete. As I say, until I find out how much I can get from my pot, I can't say for sure if this idea will become reality anyway. Here's hoping though 🙂.

Bisto

Rob, I am truly envious of you; I've not travelled through Canada extensively, far from it in fact, but from what  iI ithave seen it is fantastic; I managed to cram quite a bit of sight seeing into a 23 day vacation a few years ago with my ex and I absolutely fell in love with it on my one and only holiday there (so far). I would emigrate to Vancouver in a heartbeat if it were possible.

It not be for you but if your looking to squeeze a lot into your holiday, especially with multiple short stays in different locations flights, hotels, lodges, car hire, train and ferry travel etc it can be very stressful, frustrating and time consuming. When I visited Canada I used Trailfinders to book everything and I have to say they were brilliant, it took a huge amount of hassle and worry out of it.

If your budget stretches that far, one thing I would recommend is a brief stopover in New York City if possible...if you haven't been already it's well worth a visit...and only an hour and a half away from Toronto by plane.

No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

captainkurtz

Toronto is ace.

If you're going to Nigara Falls, then stay at Niagara-on-the-lake - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara-on-the-Lake

It's a gorgeous little town with lovely people..and a very short drive to Niagara Falls as well as Lakeside Park.  One of the most beautiful places I've visited - a very very excellent family holiday was had there.
Anger is a gift.

BaldiePete

Quote from: captainkurtz on May 20, 2019, 00:39:33 am
Toronto is ace.

If you're going to Nigara Falls, then stay at Niagara-on-the-lake - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara-on-the-Lake

It's a gorgeous little town with lovely people..and a very short drive to Niagara Falls as well as Lakeside Park.  One of the most beautiful places I've visited - a very very excellent family holiday was had there.

This.^^^^^^

We stayed in Niagara-On-The-Lake for a couple of nights in 2015 and it's lovely. Much, much nicer than Niagara Falls.

zoony

Thanks guys, you're getting me really interested now. Any idea of what kind ofa budget I would be looking at? I'm not a 5 star kind of guy, but obviously I like a comfortable stay.

BaldiePete

In downtown Toronto it can get pretty expensive. In 2012 I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express Downtown which was decent but not in any way fancy. I just checked their prices and it looks like it will cost about £200 a night this year. Food and drink prices would probably be similar to London prices (so a bit more expensive than you are used to).

zoony

Cheers Pete. I saw the bloke from Pension wise today, and we had an interesting discussion. What I did learn though was how little I know about pensions, and I've got some research to do! Apart from the pension I'm paying into at the moment, I've got 2 other frozen ones. I now have plenty of time to find out how much I've got in them, and then I will know how much I can have out come next June.

Matt2112

Toronto is a fantastic place.  Crawling with fitties as well.  ;) ;D
The keys to happiness