40 years today

Started by Fuller, May 10, 2019, 09:45:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuller

May 10th 1979
Rush at Birmingham Odeon
40 years ago today but still so fresh in the memory - what a night !
Anyone else there ?

Bez

It was Hammy Odeon for me....I'm not sure of the date (I think it was earlier in May) and sadly don't have ticket stubs...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

Quote from: Fuller on May 10, 2019, 09:45:22 am
May 10th 1979
Rush at Birmingham Odeon
40 years ago today but still so fresh in the memory - what a night !
Anyone else there ?

Not sure, but I think Chris Newman, aka Red Star may have been there.

Slim

I did two nights at Newcastle City Hall on that tour. Very good set, reinforced not only by the Hemispheres material but by Beneath, Between & Behind as well.  Big improvement on the AFTK tour, I thought.

DaveC

Newcastle City Hall for me - 2 nights. Got to meet the band and sat in for sound check on first night. Jees I feel so old  :(
DaveC

xfireballx

Liverpool Empire for me earlier in the month, first time seeing them, I was in awe!
And the things that we fear are a weapon to be used against us..........

Pricey

think Neil P was at all these shows ,, ?
I'll try and behave . Promise

zoony

Quote from: Pricey on May 17, 2019, 10:56:29 am
think Neil P was at all these shows ,, ?

I'm sure he told me that he'd only ever missed one RUSH show in England.

Japes

Was 3 shows at Hammy for me that year along with one of the Stafford shows in September.

Slim

Quote from: DaveC on May 13, 2019, 00:20:52 amNewcastle City Hall for me - 2 nights. Got to meet the band and sat in for sound check on first night. Jees I feel so old  :(

Nice! I was at those two, as well. Would be strong contenders for my best two Rush gigs ever, but the Stafford nights later the same year edge it.

Slim

Quote from: Slim on May 28, 2019, 10:33:44 amNice! I was at those two, as well. Would be strong contenders for my best two Rush gigs ever, but the Stafford nights later the same year edge it.

And as of this evening, it's 40 years since those two as well.

That was a very memorable weekend. The first time I heard Freewill and Spirit of Radio in their pre-released forms. On the Sunday morning I rose and took a train from Stafford to Huddersfield - actually a replacement bus service for most (or possibly all) of the way. There, I met my parents at the railway station. They'd driven from Hartlepool with a load of my stuff, including my treasured (if awful) acoustic guitar and my radio cassette. They helped me to carry it into my room at a big student house in Kaffir Road, and I began life as a student, away from home for the first time.

The moment the echo of the final chord of La Villa Strangiato died 40 years ago tomorrow night, it started to sink in that I would not be going back home the next day. Until then the excitement of going to the gigs had relegated everything else to the back of my mind.

So I've always thought of those two Rush gigs at Stafford as being sort of ceremonial; a sort of elaborate fanfare for a rite of passage, heralding the end of boyhood and a new life.

zoony

2 of my work mates, Dale and Robin, both of who are now 60 went to one of those Bingley hall shows. Dale came with me to see them at the LG arena in 2013.

Pricey

Quote from: zoony on May 17, 2019, 17:12:00 pmI'm sure he told me that he'd only ever missed one RUSH show in England.
aye ...
I'll try and behave . Promise

zoony