Chernobyl

Started by döm, May 09, 2019, 17:32:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Anyone watching the latest HBO offering on Sky Atlantic.

It's a five parter, the first aired on Tuesday and I'm riveted.  The level of incompetence and mismanagement is amazing but quite believable.  Well worth catching especially to get that mid 80s Soviet vibe!
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bez

I have the first one recorded.....apparently it gets bleaker!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Nick

Watched the first one, I don't like the accents.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Bez

Watched the first one....grim stuff.

döm

Episode 2 was brilliant in its grimness.  Best thing on tv for me at the moment. The ending was so bleak yet so compelling. Come on episode 3 already!

Chris Quartly

I would like to see this but also a little worried that it doesn't help the bad rep that nuclear energy still has - it's the cleanest and safest form of energy and we can't fight climate change without it (I'll get off my soapbox for now :))
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Bez

You watching really isn't going to change that!

Nick

Really enjoyed episode 2, the bleak situation, the bleakness of Belarus and Ukraine, the way the state worked and the frightening protective suits.

I remember walking around Plymouth when it happened.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Jonners

very, very good programme so far
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Quote from: Chris Quartly on May 17, 2019, 20:58:57 pm
I would like to see this but also a little worried that it doesn't help the bad rep that nuclear energy still has - it's the cleanest and safest form of energy and we can't fight climate change without it (I'll get off my soapbox for now

Yes, and a lot more people have been killed mining coal than in the nuclear industry. Is it really the safest / cleanest though? Can't help thinking that wave, solar and wind power are cleaner and safer bearing in mind the environmental cost of decommissioning a nuclear site.
It will be a long time before those forms of power have the capacity to provide power in sufficient quantities, though.

DavidL

Quote from: Slim on May 20, 2019, 18:54:56 pm
Yes, and a lot more people have been killed mining coal than in the nuclear industry. Is it really the safest / cleanest though? Can't help thinking that wave, solar and wind power are cleaner and safer bearing in mind the environmental cost of decommissioning a nuclear site.
It will be a long time before those forms of power have the capacity to provide power in sufficient quantities, though.
It almost seems criminal to me that a country with such a tidal range has not invested in tidal energy as a large part of the energy mix.

Chris Quartly

Quote from: Slim on May 20, 2019, 18:54:56 pm

https://ourworldindata.org/what-is-the-safest-form-of-energy
Last.fm playlist of previous 7 days:<br /><br /><br />Q's Comps<br /><br />Some Other Suckers Parade

Slim

Yes, so it's the safest of all major energy sources. I think we knew that already. What it isn't is the safest and cleanest form of energy.

Chris Quartly

It's the safest and cleanest that's scaleable to a size that others can't achieve. It's a bit like saying talking between two cups and string is safer and cleaner than a landline.

döm

This show is simply stunning. Watched the 4th of 5 last night.i think I held my breath for the entire scene on the roof of the reactor with the "bio-robots"