Who to Support?

Started by Bez, April 30, 2019, 09:37:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bez

I was always brought up to support my own team, an English team in Europe, England in Internationals and a UK team in a tournament that England weren't involved in....

I've moderated this over the years - I find it increasingly difficult to want a Scots or Welsh win, for example...

This week I have another tough dilemma: Spurs and Liverpool both remain in the Champions League, but they represent the very bottom rung of my "support ladder" My dad was a Gooner (which probably explains Spurs) and Liverpool fans have always made me cringe with their belief that they have the right to eat a football's top table...

So, my friends, do I support the Spuds against Ajax and the Scousers against Barcelona or follow my guts and wish for success for teams from another country?

I discussed this with Rascal & Lucy pre-gig on Saturday and as committed Gooners (and season ticket holders) they were very much hoping for an Ajax win against Spurs...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

döm

I'm with Lucy and Rascal on wanting an Ajax win tonight.  Spurs are getting far too big for their boots with all the good football they are playing at the moment.  Lord knows what they would be like if they actually won something!

As for Liverpool, every 2nd person here in Ireland seems to support them and it would be pretty unpleasant if they went onto win it.  For the same reason I'm hoping City win the league
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bisto

Quote from: Bez on April 30, 2019, 09:37:07 am
I was always brought up to support my own team, an English team in Europe, England in Internationals and a UK team in a tournament that England weren't involved in....

I've moderated this over the years - I find it increasingly difficult to want a Scots or Welsh win, for example...

This week I have another tough dilemma: Spurs and Liverpool both remain in the Champions League, but they represent the very bottom rung of my "support ladder" My dad was a Gooner (which probably explains Spurs) and Liverpool fans have always made me cringe with their belief that they have the right to eat a football's top table...

So, my friends, do I support the Spuds against Ajax and the Scousers against Barcelona or follow my guts and wish for success for teams from another country?

I discussed this with Rascal & Lucy pre-gig on Saturday and as committed Gooners (and season ticket holders) they were very much hoping for an Ajax win against Spurs...

Not too fussed who wins in the Spurs Vs Ajax tie, which would have made a more interesting and less predictable final for me but I would definitely like to see the winner go on to lift the trophy...not because I have anything against Liverpool, I just want to see the underdog win for a change.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

Well, firstly neither of them are Man Utd, so that's a saving grace. ;)

Difficult one - I'd just say to follow your gut really; it's only a game after all.  :-\    Must dash, I need to order my Halifax Town 2019/20 season ticket...  ::) ;) 
The keys to happiness

zoony

When it comes to football, you support your team and no one else. Obviously there are times when you might want other teams to win certain games when it benefits your own team though. When it comes to European competitions though, I don't give a shit to be honest, but I certainly don't favour any other English teams in them. As far as I'm concerned, the CL in particular has played a big part in spoiling the PL.

The Letter R

Since most PL teams are filled with non English players and have non English owners I don't see the need to worry - watch the game as a neutral and support the team playing the fairest.

Bez

So, my worst nightmare has come true with both qualifying in remarkable circumstances....

The good news is that a British club will win the competition.

It's scant consolation.... :-X
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%