Author Topic: Bought any Vinyl lately ?  (Read 548 times)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
Re: Bought any Vinyl lately ?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
Bought recently, first proper play (on the new Steven Wilson mix 2 disc remaster) today

Marillion - Brave........wow!

Wow, the album or wow, the new mix?
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
Wow, the album or wow, the new mix?

Sorry Bez, I've never had or played an original vinyl copy and don't have the cd so I'm unable to make any comparisons, subjective or otherwise. All I know is that this definitely presses all the right buttons and kicks ass! Great seperation, with each instrument distinct....if anything is say that the Bass, drums, keyboards and H's vocals are all slightly more prominent than the guitar chords but the guitar and keyboard solos arent hidden away by any means.

I very nearly cried during "The slide" ...it's just perfect
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 13:02:35 PM »
Cheers, mate...I was contemplating the Blu-ray....I'll probably add it to the list  8)

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 13:33:46 PM »
Cheers, mate...I was contemplating the Blu-ray....I'll probably add it to the list  8)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Blu-ray....hmmm.....now there's a thought :o

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 14:13:28 PM »

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Blu-ray....hmmm.....now there's a thought :o

I don't do vinyl (space and time restrictions)....Bluray audio gives me crackle free, high definition access to the music in 5.1 surround sound

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 14:30:59 PM »
I don't do vinyl (space and time restrictions)....Bluray audio gives me crackle free, high definition access to the music in 5.1 surround sound

Yes, I know Bez, and good luck to you! :) , but I've just spanked a wad on a 2 speaker hifi system, and that took me 40 years :o .... I can't justify a 5.1 system on top of that.

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 17:55:08 PM »
Bought recently, first proper play (on the new Steven Wilson mix 2 disc remaster) today

Marillion - Brave........wow!

Not sure if they've ever bettered this album anyway but hearing this on a decent system rather begs the question; is there a better 'modern' progressive rock concept album than this?
As much as I like Paranoid Android and Crack the Skye, Brave is in another league imho...are there any other 'modern' contenders?
Fantastic album.There is a CD Deluxe remaster version just released too with lots of lovely live tracks.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 18:02:34 PM »
Steven Wilson Home Invasion boxset.
Yes - Steven Wilson remixes - these sound fantastic! And look gorgeous as well...
Arrogance Is Bliss

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 00:38:25 AM »
Two fantastic pre-owned vinyl purchases today at opposite ends of the cost spectrum. Had a browse through the racks in my local independent store, Rapture, and came across two records I've been on the lookout for for a long time. First find was 'Raunch & Roll' a live album by Black Oak Arkansas in the sale bin for £6. Second was Mott the Hoople's, 'Mott'. Rapture have just acquired a collection of 5000(!) second hand albums and this collection contained a couple of examples this classic. Both appeared to be original first pressings. The best had a sleeve that was in exceptionally good nick, including the acetate. The vinyl itself is in great condition. They'd not got around to pricing them up and after a bit of haggling, I got the best for £50. Bargain at that price. Plays like a new record  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:57:53 AM by DavidL »

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »
Working my way through the Rolling Stones 1972-2016 box set and having a whale of a time.  Weirdly, much of the post 1972 material is unfamiliar to me - id always dismissed it as not worth having...but it’s great...
Anger is a gift.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 18:31:43 PM »
Arrived today - Near mint copy of The Captain and Me by The Doobie Brothers. Cool 70s vibe  8)
Ted Templeman produced some fantastic records in that decade.

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 18:56:13 PM »
Pre-ordered the new Baroness on coloured vinyl.
Also pre-ordered the new Black Mountain, the Dinked edition on Coke bottle coloured vinyl. Yes I know...
Arrogance Is Bliss

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 04:07:49 AM »
Picked up a 180gm Remastered Disraeli Gears from Sainsbury's for £12 yesterday

Ali

• TNMS Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 00:04:44 AM »
On Record Store Day, I ended up buying New England by Wishbone Ash and the double Moonflower by Santana - £2 each (also bought the Hemispheres picture disc, mono Saucerful of Secrets and double ELP Live at Pocono Raceway 👍)
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul