• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

Six Nations Rugby - 2019

Started by Bez, January 29, 2019, 08:39:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bez

A big year for the Six Nations with the Rugby World Cup in Japan later this year...

I'm off to see the England vs Italy game in March (Crimbo pressie from my boys), so hoping that the tournament is still alive by then.

A tough set of fixtures for the first week with Wales away at France, England away at favourites Ireland and Scotland at home to Italy.

I'm going for a shock England win, France to edge Wales in a close game and Scotland to thump the Italians...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Jonners

six nations is still socially and visually the best global competition, but its a good way behind the competition in the SOuthern Hemisphere for quality.

I think we will get mugged by the Irish, you would expect Scotland to win (in a fixture I have never, ever watched on Telly) and I cant read the France game.
The new songs are an abomination

zoony

I've got a feeling The Scots could put a spanner or two in the works of the fancied teams.

Bez

Quote from: zoony on January 29, 2019, 19:39:47 pm
I've got a feeling The Scots could put a spanner or two in the works of the fancied teams.


Yep, apart from the Paddys, its wide open between everyone (except the Italians)
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

pdw1

It is hard to look beyond the Irish but not necessarily with a grand slam
and the Italians for the wooden spoon.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Pricey

Anyone doing the Guinness fantasy rugby thingy ?
I'll try and behave . Promise

döm

I've given up wondering what to expect from France.


Ireland do look very strong and home games against England and France puts them in a strong position.


England could snatch it and tomorrow will be crucial if there is any likelihood of that happening.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bez

So much for predictions then....

Watched the France vs Wales game in disbelief in the first half and then shock in the second. George North won't score two easier tries ever!
Scotland were worthy winners against the Italians who managed to flatter the scoreline in the last 15 mins. Bagpipe player was irritating
England were fantastic against the Irish. The early try made all the difference and Slade's catch for his second try was magnificent

I find myself disliking Eddie Butler more and more. Why do the BBC let him commentate on Welsh games? I'm all for a bit of partisan commentary, but Butler takes it way too far, and to have Jonathan Davies as co-commentator took things to an unacceptable level. Andrew Cotter wasn't much better for the Scots game.


RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

A massive and well deserved win for England in Ireland puts them in a strong position early on. As we've seen in recent years though, nothing can be taken for granted in the 6 nations.

Jonners

Quote from: Bez on February 02, 2019, 23:39:08 pm
So much for predictions then....

Watched the France vs Wales game in disbelief in the first half and then shock in the second. George North won't score two easier tries ever!
Scotland were worthy winners against the Italians who managed to flatter the scoreline in the last 15 mins. Bagpipe player was irritating
England were fantastic against the Irish. The early try made all the difference and Slade's catch for his second try was magnificent

I find myself disliking Eddie Butler more and more. Why do the BBC let him commentate on Welsh games? I'm all for a bit of partisan commentary, but Butler takes it way too far, and to have Jonathan Davies as co-commentator took things to an unacceptable level. Andrew Cotter wasn't much better for the Scots game.



I lobe Buttlers voice, but nothing else about the man. Thank Christ Brian Moore isnt involved any more
The new songs are an abomination

Bez

A bounceback win for the Paddys against the Jocks...it'll be close though. Kinghorn has to be sdeemed unlucky having scored a hat-trick last time out and only a place on the bench this time

England to beat France comfortably in the second half. Les Blues have picked a physically "strong" team, watch out for Bamba's name to be mentioned a lot in the loose

Wales to put 30+ past Italy
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

A couple of games that won't stay in the memory long yesterday, both with predictable outcomes. Wales will be disappointed they never got the bonus point though. Are the Italians really the 6th best side in the northern hemisphere? You could possibly argue the case that they're lucky to still stay in the competition. Hopefully we can get a convincing victory today, but I can't see France being as lapse as they were last week.

zoony

It would have been nice to see even more points on the board in the second half yesterday, but England did well to stop the French from scoring anymore. After a rough period 12 months ago, England are ominously now starting to show similarities to the side that won the WC in 2003, IE hugely powerful up front with a flying match winner to match Jason Robinson in Jonny May. We are missing a big influential captain though, but I don't think we are missing Dylan Hartley, who always gets hooked anyway. It could be exciting times ahead again for England.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: zoony on February 11, 2019, 11:32:58 am
It would have been nice to see even more points on the board in the second half yesterday, but England did well to stop the French from scoring anymore. After a rough period 12 months ago, England are ominously now starting to show similarities to the side that won the WC in 2003, IE hugely powerful up front with a flying match winner to match Jason Robinson in Jonny May. We are missing a big influential captain though, but I don't think we are missing Dylan Hartley, who always gets hooked anyway. It could be exciting times ahead again for England.



Zoony, yes I agree with you.


The wales match in two weeks is going to be a tester. Playing Wales at the Millenium stadium is going to be a real battle. They will pump the crowd up and the Welsh players will be on fire. If we win that match I can see us truly being able to rise to the big occasions and maybe win the world cup. Mike Catt was an inspirational help and had the vision back in 2003 that maybe we are lacking that at the moment.


I moved/live in wales so I have adopted wales as my second team, rugby in wales is like football in england. I have been having some fun with the locals, let's hope for a cracking match.


Georgia are above Italy on the world rankings.




döm

France were dismal.  I almost switched off after the first 20 minutes but for some reason (masochism?) I kept watching. Dire!!  Although England were very good it's disappointing to see France quite so off the pace.


Enjoyed the Scotland Ireland game.  I thought Scotland were a little unlucky, they started very strongly.  And thought Kinghorn was excellent when he came on.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!