Author Topic: General Golfing Chat - 4  (Read 22028 times)

Norwegian

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
Re: General Golfing Chat - 4
« Reply #405 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:42 AM »
Found this nice presentation of the golfcourse I am a member of (Oslo GK). Hole 14 is crowned as the best par 4 in Norway btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUM1f20yijI
"Information does not kill you" - FZ

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #406 on: January 03, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
Okay, here's my annual list of golfers I'm expecting to do well (and have a flutter on) in 2017...hence they probably won't win anything until 2018 at the earliest.  ::) ;)

Thorbjorn Olesen

Already a well-established name of course, but after having spent a long time in the doldrums, he was getting back to his best toward the end of last year.  So, with down-to-earth Bradford-based caddie Dom Bott on his bag,
I expect "Thunderbear" to find more consistency, really kick on and re-establish himself as one the brightest talents on the European Tour, if not in world golf.

Chris Hanson

I'm going to sound West Yorkshire-biased having mentioned Dom Bott, however this guy from Huddersfield showed some eye-catching form in 2016 to earn his European Tour card and graduate rapidly from the Challenge Tour. The word is that he's aiming to be one of England's top-ranked golfers this year and will certainly be one to watch.

Joakim Lagergren

I've been tracking this Swedish golfer for ages now and believe this will be the year he makes his big breakthrough.  He's shown plenty of raw talent these last few years but 2016 saw him put together much more consistent performances and he's one player who's been knocking on the door of his first European Tour win.

Thomas Detry

This Belgian rookie is lined up to be the next Thomas Pieters and has shown he's capable of being a formidable birdie-machine on the Challenge Tour; I'll be tracking him very keenly this year and I recommend latching on to this emerging talent before the bookies inevitably do. :)

Well, they all did okay, with Lagergren going closest to a victory after losing out in a 3-way play-off at the Qatar Masters.

Olesen was consistent if unspectacular, though interestingly for 2017 he was 4th for putts per GIR and 14th for stroke average.

Hanson got himself into contention a few times but often fell away again, with one bad round tending to scupper his chances.

Detry had a couple of top 10 finishes and I expect his raw talent to develop - he was 5th for fairways hit in 2017 so he'll certainly build on that.

Some names for 2018 on the European Tour, then:

Dean Burmester
I was on him in 2017 for his first tournament win and his eye-catching stats for the year suggest he has the all-round game to be a major force: 8th for driving distance (3rd for the 2018 schedule, which started last year...), 7th for putts per GIR (15th for 2018, and 7th for putts per round, and 28th for scrambling)...if he can be a little bit tidier with his irons then the sky is the limit.

Julian Suri
Expecting very big things from this guy - an American who has concentrated on plying his trade on the European Tour and is starting to show all the signs he'll be a multiple tournament winner over the next few years; the bookies are already starting to catch on.

Matheiu Pavon 
French golfer who's one of the longest drivers of the ball seen for a while, but has the all-round game to make a name for himself this year.   

Sam Horsfield
Prodigious English talent who earned his card by winning last year's Qualifying school by eight shots.  I've noticed he's having a lot of sponsorship funds thrown his way; looks like he'll be the next Matt Fitzpatrick. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:15:29 PM by Matt2112 »
The keys to happiness

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
Okay, here's my annual list of golfers I'm expecting to do well (and have a flutter on) in 2017...hence they probably won't win anything until 2018 at the earliest.  ::) ;)

Thorbjorn Olesen

Already a well-established name of course, but after having spent a long time in the doldrums, he was getting back to his best toward the end of last year.  So, with down-to-earth Bradford-based caddie Dom Bott on his bag,
I expect "Thunderbear" to find more consistency, really kick on and re-establish himself as one the brightest talents on the European Tour, if not in world golf.

Chris Hanson

I'm going to sound West Yorkshire-biased having mentioned Dom Bott, however this guy from Huddersfield showed some eye-catching form in 2016 to earn his European Tour card and graduate rapidly from the Challenge Tour. The word is that he's aiming to be one of England's top-ranked golfers this year and will certainly be one to watch.

Joakim Lagergren

I've been tracking this Swedish golfer for ages now and believe this will be the year he makes his big breakthrough.  He's shown plenty of raw talent these last few years but 2016 saw him put together much more consistent performances and he's one player who's been knocking on the door of his first European Tour win.

Thomas Detry

This Belgian rookie is lined up to be the next Thomas Pieters and has shown he's capable of being a formidable birdie-machine on the Challenge Tour; I'll be tracking him very keenly this year and I recommend latching on to this emerging talent before the bookies inevitably do. :)

Once again,  it appears I'm predicting winners 2 years in advance, which admittedly is not what I had in mind.

However, Joakim Lagergren broke his European Tour duck by winning last month's Sicilian Open (did I have a bet on him?  Nope), and just this last weekend Thorbjorn Olesen defied his recent indifferent form by winning the Italian Open (did I have a bet on him? Nope - I went for his compatriot Lucas Bjerregaard, who'd been in red hot form only to finish tied 71st  ::)  )

I wouldn't be surprised if Detry wins something this year, while Chris Hanson simply can't put four good rounds together.

As for this year's predictions (earlier in the thread), maybe we should wait for 2019... :-\ 

The keys to happiness

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #408 on: June 05, 2018, 16:10:31 PM »
So, with down-to-earth Bradford-based caddie Dom Bott on his bag

And, wouldn't you know it, I've just had Dom on the phone, so I've been able to congratulate him personally.  :) 
The keys to happiness

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #409 on: September 24, 2018, 07:09:50 AM »
Incredible achievement by Tiger Woods to win in Atlanta. I will gladly admit I was wrong in thinking he was a spent force a while back.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #410 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:38 AM »
Incredible achievement by Tiger Woods to win in Atlanta. I will gladly admit I was wrong in thinking he was a spent force a while back.
I hate the hype that surrounds him, but aggree that it's a fantatsic achievemnt to get himself playing again and winning again....
A Ryder cup win is looking like a tougher ask this morning!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #411 on: September 24, 2018, 13:33:35 PM »
Yep, I thought Woods was finished as a force to be honest. Not a fan though, and confident he'll never match or beat Jack's majors record.

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #412 on: September 25, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »
Yep, I thought Woods was finished as a force to be honest. Not a fan though, and confident he'll never match or beat Jack's majors record.
There was a pice on Sky about that yesterday....they reckon he has six years left in him at the top level, so 24 attempts....might be worth a few quid at the bookies  ;)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #413 on: September 25, 2018, 23:41:56 PM »
Absolutely stunning comeback by Tiger.  Apparently his club head speed is as fast as it’s ever been.  Looking ominous for Europe at the Ryder Cup.  :-\
The keys to happiness

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #414 on: April 08, 2019, 14:24:41 PM »
Local lass Alice Hewson came 10th in the weekend's women's amateur event at Augusta at the weekend.

She joined us for half a dozen holes a couple of years back with her caddy as we were finishing a slow round at her home course of Berkhamsted. Hits the ball miles and was good fun into the bargain. I reckon she was 18 or 19 at the time and was happy to play for a pound as we struggled round behind a society.

Really pleased for her  :)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #415 on: April 14, 2019, 23:36:04 PM »
Incredible win for Tiger Woods today. The media is reporting it as the greatest sporting comeback of all time. I don't know about that, they seem to have forgotton that Lance Armstrong beat bollock cancer and had to virtually have continual blood transfusions afterwards.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #416 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
Absolutely stunning comeback by Tiger.  Apparently his club head speed is as fast as it’s ever been.  Looking ominous for Europe at the Ryder Cup.  :-\

Well yes, but if Tiger is in the US Ryder cup team, that does help our chances.....
The new songs are an abomination

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #417 on: April 16, 2019, 10:30:19 AM »
Have to admit it was a stunning achievement by Woods to win his 5th Masters, and I never saw it coming. Sometimes things just fall into your lap in golf, and that certainly helped in on Sunday when Molinari did his best to implode. Never been a big fan of Tiger though tbh, although he dies seem more down to earth these days than the aloof individual he was in years gone bye. Undoubtedly the best golfer there has ever been in my opinion, but greatness is still measured by the amount of majors you win. Do I think he will ever beat Nicklaus's record of 18? I hope not.