Author Topic: Stan & Ollie  (Read 243 times)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
Stan & Ollie
« on: January 14, 2019, 13:12:24 PM »
Yes, I actually managed a visit to the cinema for the first time since December 2017 (seeing The Last Jedi).  :o

And not just any cinema - for the first time in literally years I re-acquainted myself with the wonderful Elland Rex, one of the oldest purpose-built cinemas in the UK, with its history proudly displayed on its sleeve (well, in the corridor).  I still love the old place.

The evening started by being greeted on arrival by Stan & Ollie "themselves", Ollie issuing the tickets (via the Rex's old-fashioned ticket machine) and Stan going around the patrons causing mirth and mischief.

Just beneath the red velvet curtains that cover the screen, The Rex has a large, Wurlitzer-esque organ, which was being played beautifully by a senior lady who entertained the punters with tunes instantly recognisable from the L&H films.

Then, after a brief performance by "Stan & Ollie" in which they hopelessly attempted to move the organ out of the room, we were treated to the classic short Towed In A Hole, which not only served as a great warm-up to the main feature in its own right, but retrospectively demonstrated just how good are the portrayals by John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan.

For a fan of L&H like me, the main event was a warm hug of film, which provided some insight into the men behind the characters - and no shortage of laughs, of course.  I have to say that while Coogan is very good as Stan, Reilly is absolutely remarkable as Ollie, with an utterly gob-smacking performance that surely deserves a host of accolades.  I'd recommend this film for that alone. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 14:26:53 PM by Matt2112 »
The keys to happiness

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
Re: Stan & Ollie
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 16:07:03 PM »
That sounds pretty much like a perfect evening's entertainment Matt, and also a great cinema!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 19:37:18 PM »
That sounds pretty much like a perfect evening's entertainment Matt, and also a great cinema!

Yes, absolutely Reg.  8)

Presume you’ll be seeing this, look forward to your thoughts. :)
The keys to happiness

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 20:14:23 PM »
Strikes me that Steve Coogan is now just a shade too old to play Stan Laurel in his 30s and 40s? But I must admit I was impressed by the clip I saw.

Laurel and Hardy seemed to be on Saturday TV all the time when I was a kid. I remember going to a birthday party in about 1968, and my friend's dad had a cine film copy of the one where they join the Foreign Legion, and showed it on a projector.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:24:03 AM »
Strikes me that Steve Coogan is now just a shade too old to play Stan Laurel in his 30s and 40s? But I must admit I was impressed by the clip I saw.

Laurel and Hardy seemed to be on Saturday TV all the time when I was a kid. I remember going to a birthday party in about 1968, and my friend's dad had a cine film copy of the one where they join the Foreign Legion, and showed it on a projector.

Yes, hasnt TV come on a long way since we were nippers!

Saturday TV and holiday TV a heady mix of Laurel and Hardy, Harold LLoyd, Why Dont You, Rhubarb, The Flashing Blade.....

Very good reason to get out of bed and start doing stuff!
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 17:08:03 PM »
I was a surly teenager when you were a nipper, Jonners.