'Even I can barely make sense of our concept albums'

Started by Chalker the Stalker 2, December 24, 2018, 14:23:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

It's a very mediocre album. Always liked Working at Perfekt though.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Jonners

It was a rather nasty sign of things to come regarding the ability to fit words/phrases etc into a listeneable vocal melody/tune
The new songs are an abomination

Matt2112

Ged's album has its moments, but is quite patchy.  Victor is much stronger, but neither are indispensable.
The keys to happiness

Bisto

January 04, 2019, 14:33:32 pm #18 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 14:42:37 pm by Bisto
5 years is quite a lag between the respective release dates of these albums, quite a bit longer than I had previously thought. MFH just sounds like tracks that, even in the highly unlikely event that they would have been presented to the rest of the band and made it past the collective quality control as far as the studio in the 80's, they would have been left on the cutting room floor and binned.

They set the bar so high in the 70's and 80's and still recorded some worthwhile material in the 90's, but that enforced hiatus after T4E had a disastrous effect on the band, for me at least; that was when the band, and Geddy in particular, started to lose it for me; there was far too much dense layering, multi-tracking and overdubbing and I couldn't take to a lot of Geddys vocal arrangements, especially some of the harmonies, which I found really jarring; the overall effect of this was to spoil some otherwise promising/interesting musical ideas, but even many of these were often the result of disparate bits n bobs being hobbled together and not so much seemlessly blended with pro tools, as mIG welded in what seemed like an incongruous and almost arbitrarily fashion at times, particularly on the Snakes and Arrows album...the only songs I can listen to without cringing (on that album) are the 3 instrumentals. The overall effect makes that (and the Feedback EP) the only Rush albums that I've never listened to in their entirety more than a few times. Clockwork Angels fares little better (with me) for similar reasons, although in general, the songs are at least better crafted.

Geddy mentioned that the band wished they could have re-recorded the Presto album, well they certainly made the Vapor Trails album sound better with only Alex really adding anything musically to the remix.....If I could wave my magic wand ...I would have bought in a variety of guest vocalists, musicians and writers to open up the music and provide a counterpoint to Geddy's vocals...just for one album. (and tour)..and made the arrangements simpler and give the songs room to breathe...any overdubs would be added (and played live on tour) by additional vocalists and musicians. I would also keep Peart and Geddy totally out of the process of lyric writing and laying down vocals until presented with the completed instrumentals which they would then add to. After that Geddy and the guest vocalists would make their contributions.....then, finally after, I'd make them all rehearse it and record it live for the studio album....then take it on the road.

I'dalso have liked them to have recorded at least one OST with instrumental songs and incidental music per decade.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Jonners

Someone has got some time on their hands me thinks, or is drinking again!
The new songs are an abomination

Matt2112

I like the idea of an OST; it's certainly worked for Trevor Rabin.  In fact, Rabin would be a good choice for producer - in the absence of Peter Collins, of course.  :)
The keys to happiness

Bisto

Quote from: Jonners on January 04, 2019, 17:18:17 pm
Someone has got some time on their hands me thinks, or is drinking again!

Is that a polite way of saying I talk a lot of shit? :o
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

Quote from: The Letter R on December 27, 2018, 08:43:19 am
"Trustworthy UK Newspaper" ........ ??? :o ..... that's a great example of an Oxymoron.

In the Grauniad's case, without a doubt. Mainly written by dishonest and/or hysterically special people. But there are some honest and sane newspapers out there still - the Telegraph and the Express especially.

Slim

I like Victor a lot, haven't listened to it for a couple of years, must give it a spin again. The really good stuff on there is just so much more interesting, creative and well-crafted than anything Rush did since the early '80s, or possibly even the '70s. Have to agree that Geddy's effort is just an amusical dull thud. Not even irritating enough to be interesting; just pointless.

döm

Quote from: Slim on January 05, 2019, 14:40:13 pm
In the Grauniad's case, without a doubt. Mainly written by dishonest and/or hysterically special people. But there are some honest and sane newspapers out there still - the Telegraph and the Express especially.

Oh come on Slim. I'd agree with the Telegraph to a degree but The Express is about as truthful as Trump!

DavidL

Quote from: döm on January 05, 2019, 15:52:17 pm

Oh come on Slim. I'd agree with the Telegraph to a degree but The Express is about as truthful as Trump!
Sore loser. The Express started to campaign for our exit from the EU over five years ago with no support from any other papers. They are also campaigning for an end to our ridiculous foreign aid expenditure,dignity for the elderly and an end to the persecution of soldiers that served in Northern Ireland. No reason to believe that they will be any less successful in those campaigns than they were in securing our exit from the EU. They are both aims that most reasonable UK citizens support.

döm

I won't spoil this Rush thread any further with talk of that awful publication.  I get the impression though that this version of TNMS is in a parallel universe where the Express is reputable .

DavidL

I know it upsets you but The Express is a very successful newspaper

DavidL

Quote from: Bisto on January 04, 2019, 14:33:32 pm
5 years is quite a lag between the respective release dates of these albums, quite a bit longer than I had previously thought. MFH just sounds like tracks that, even in the highly unlikely event that they would have been presented to the rest of the band and made it past the collective quality control as far as the studio in the 80's, they would have been left on the cutting room floor and binned.

They set the bar so high in the 70's and 80's and still recorded some worthwhile material in the 90's, but that enforced hiatus after T4E had a disastrous effect on the band, for me at least; that was when the band, and Geddy in particular, started to lose it for me; there was far too much dense layering, multi-tracking and overdubbing and I couldn't take to a lot of Geddys vocal arrangements, especially some of the harmonies, which I found really jarring; the overall effect of this was to spoil some otherwise promising/interesting musical ideas, but even many of these were often the result of disparate bits n bobs being hobbled together and not so much seemlessly blended with pro tools, as mIG welded in what seemed like an incongruous and almost arbitrarily fashion at times, particularly on the Snakes and Arrows album...the only songs I can listen to without cringing (on that album) are the 3 instrumentals. The overall effect makes that (and the Feedback EP) the only Rush albums that I've never listened to in their entirety more than a few times. Clockwork Angels fares little better (with me) for similar reasons, although in general, the songs are at least better crafted.

Geddy mentioned that the band wished they could have re-recorded the Presto album, well they certainly made the Vapor Trails album sound better with only Alex really adding anything musically to the remix.....If I could wave my magic wand ...I would have bought in a variety of guest vocalists, musicians and writers to open up the music and provide a counterpoint to Geddy's vocals...just for one album. (and tour)..and made the arrangements simpler and give the songs room to breathe...any overdubs would be added (and played live on tour) by additional vocalists and musicians. I would also keep Peart and Geddy totally out of the process of lyric writing and laying down vocals until presented with the completed instrumentals which they would then add to. After that Geddy and the guest vocalists would make their contributions.....then, finally after, I'd make them all rehearse it and record it live for the studio album....then take it on the road.

I'dalso have liked them to have recorded at least one OST with instrumental songs and incidental music per decade.
Good post. I certainly agree with your opinion of S&A. I think the instrumentals are probably the best tracks on there. I only listened to it the other day for the first time in ages. At least three songs should never had made the cut. As you say, too much layering and too many multi-tracked vocals.
I've got a copy on CD of MFH and I don't think I've ever listened to it all the way through. Victor is also poor.
Not sure I'm with you on the guest/additional musicians though. Interesting post, all the same - nice one!

zoony

Far Cry is one of the best tracks they ever done in my opinion.