• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 21, 2019, 17:56:41 pm

Watership Down and Christmas TV

Started by rufus the dawg, December 12, 2018, 10:43:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Watership down is one of my favourite Films and Books.

So I am really looking forward to the new BBC Netficks adaption over Christmas

But the beeb are saying the violence in the book and original film have been calmed down. I really hope not, this is not a cuddly Disney movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

IMO The film is a flawed masterpiece like Lynch's Dune

Matt2112

December 12, 2018, 12:03:56 pm #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:25:53 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: rufus the dawg on December 12, 2018, 10:43:27 am
IMO The film is a flawed masterpiece like Lynch's Dune

Oh, well there's a whole other topic.  Dune is a mess, but a noble mess, mostly because David Lynch didn't have final cut and he had to work to a non-negotiable running time.  He had such a bad experience making that film he almost had a pseudonym used for the director credit ("Judas Booth" as I recall).  The subsequent re-edit - in which he had no involvement, because he'd completely washed his hands of the project - is considered to have improved some areas, but at the expense of others.  There is a great sci-fi film in there trying to get out, but it was smothered by the above issues and much of the budget going on sets rather than into the somewhat cheesy special effects.

And I didn't have to look any of that up - I should go on Mastermind, me.  ;D  (EDIT: Er, I looked it up and I've slightly mis-remembered some of that.  Lynch objected to the extended version bearing his name for the director and screenwriter credits; the former was changed to the industry pseudonym "Alan Smithee" and the latter to Lynch's creation of "Judas Booth").   

Anyway, it will soon be time for the annual household ritual of watching Bad Santa (once the little 'un is safely tucked in bed of course..!).   :)
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 12, 2018, 12:03:56 pm

Dune is a mess, but a noble mess, mostly because David Lynch didn't have final cut and he had to work to a non-negotiable running time.

There is on the net a 3 hour long fan edit linking the mini series and the film together to make the film more like the book. it is pretty good if you can find it. This is the link I used but it does not work now.

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2015/08/dune-the-insanely-complete-3-hour-fan-cut/

Dune is a fascinating subject a bit like Beach Boys Smile album. The idea of Jodorowsky making a version in the 70s is mind bending with Pink Floyd and Magma soundtrack. Then there was a quite good mini series was it in the early 2000s. I will reread the book again.

I thought there was a new film coming out?

Bisto

The mini series was great. Very political, much more faithful to the book in that sense than the film but the budget for the special FX was the equivalent of 1960's Doctor Who

The great shame and missed opportunity of the failed Jodorowski project was that it actually got so far as it did conceptually. The set designs in the film were great but can you imagine how fantastic the Mobius designs from the Jodorowski project would have been?! on screen?

The Jodorowsky's Dune documentary is available on Netflix
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

rufus the dawg

Best Christmas TV for me

Sky at night - Real star of bethlehem
12 drinks of Christmas
Chris and Michaele - Under the christmas sky
The Truth about Christmas carols
Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Watership down was okish, just.

Matt2112

I think the only thing I watched from start to finish, that had my full attention, was Match Of The Day.  ::)
The keys to happiness

Jonners

The new songs are an abomination

The Letter R

Matt2112

Oh, I think I might have watched one of those TOTP Xmas specials on BBC Four.
The keys to happiness

zoony

Corrie and Emmerdale were a bit underwhelming this Xmas.

Matt2112

Quote from: zoony on January 03, 2019, 17:37:40 pm

Been like that for ages imo, mate.
The keys to happiness

The Letter R

Quote from: zoony on January 03, 2019, 17:37:40 pm

I bet there was a massive row in Eastenders though  ;D

pdw1

About the only TV I watched over Christmas was the Agatha Christie, ABC Murders.
Oh and The Devil Wears Prada on Xmas evening.
I thought both were great.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Reg

I caught both Bake Off holiday specials, and the MasterChef thing.

And I quite enjoyed "The 'Christmas' Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan".

I have yet to catch up with the Christmas Upstart Crow but will do when I've got around to watching series 3 first!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

rufus the dawg

Quote from: pdw1 on January 05, 2019, 09:58:11 am
About the only TV I watched over Christmas was the Agatha Christie, ABC Murders.
Oh and The Devil Wears Prada on Xmas evening.
I thought both were great.

John Malkovich was rather good in the ABC murders.