• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
June 20, 2019, 14:36:46 pm

8K HD TV

Started by Matt2112, November 18, 2018, 17:08:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Thanks guys! A Samsung one that I fancied is down to £789 today so I went with that one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CRQ9T25/

Brand loyalty.

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on November 23, 2018, 13:35:59 pm
Thanks guys! A Samsung one that I fancied is down to £789 today so I went with that one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CRQ9T25/

Brand loyalty.

Absolute corker of a purchase; enjoy, James.

I swear by Samsung TVs myself, they seem to have more "smart" features than their rivals.
The keys to happiness

Slim

The TV arrived on Saturday night, didn't have long enough bolts to attach the brackets for the wall mount unfortunately, but I ordered some from Amazon and they arrived today. So I bolted the brackets on the back, cabled her up and manhandled her onto the wall.

Bloody hell it's a big bugger - it's actually at a size where watching it is a qualitatively different experience from watching telly. I watched ten minutes of Coast on one of the BBC HD channels during a break from work, and it was just glorious. It's not that it's a better picture per se; it's just the sheer size of it on the wall. It's like being in the future!

Has some good stuff built in - Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube and other stuff. But to take advantage of that I have to use the built-in speakers, and usually I use a HiFi amp and speakers that are cabled to a separate Freeview HD unit, BluRay player and Amazon Fire stick only. All the cables are neatly hidden in the wall so I don't really want to do any additional cabling from the telly to the amp.

Watched a bit of Apocalypse Now on BluRay and that was f-ing jaw dropping. And actually a bit weird. The scene where a hung over Willard has dinner with senior intelligence officers who gently hint that he's required to "terminate the major's command" felt more like fly-on-a-wall TV than a movie. It was weirdly real and like being in the room with them - so much so that it actually detracted from the experience. But I flipped the TV picture to "movie" mode and that gave it a much more film-like quality.

The helicopter assault with the long shot of Hueys floating in low over the palm trees, silhouetted against the sunrise was gob-smacking. I got goosebumps.

One bummer though - the BluRay audio was very slightly out of sync, presumably due to the processing time taken to upscale to 4K. You can fix this with a setting on the TV, but since I was using the BluRay audio independently of the TV, I was stuffed. Unsure if the BluRay player has an audio delay option, not checked carefully. If not, I'll have to get one that does.

Freeview HD audio is fine, fortunately.

Nick

Sounds great, i am looking at a 55" but the TV is in a corner and i am worried the TV will not sit back far enough into the corner. Also equally important i have ordered some new glasses which is like an exercise in up scaling as well, will get them next Friday then make a decision on the TV.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

Quote from: Nick on December 11, 2018, 11:18:41 am
Sounds great, i am looking at a 55" but the TV is in a corner and i am worried the TV will not sit back far enough into the corner.

Do the maths! It's fairly simple trig.

Matt2112

Now you've done it, James - the cabinet where our 55" sits will just about take a 65".   Seriously looking at upgrading once Xmas etc is out of the way.  Maybe in the January sales, if that's still a thing. :)
The keys to happiness

The Letter R

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 12, 2018, 12:20:45 pm
Now you've done it, James - the cabinet where our 55" sits will just about take a 65".   Seriously looking at upgrading once Xmas etc is out of the way.  Maybe in the January sales, if that's still a thing. :)

Key TV manufacturers tend to launch new ranges March/April/May so always a good time to buy the previous years out going models at drop down prices and now tech difference from year to year isn't as great there will be some good deals to be had I'm sure.......

Matt2112

Quote from: The Letter R on December 12, 2018, 13:36:26 pm

Key TV manufacturers tend to launch new ranges March/April/May so always a good time to buy the previous years out going models at drop down prices and now tech difference from year to year isn't as great there will be some good deals to be had I'm sure.......

Thanks for the tip mate, I'll certainly hang fire based on that.  :)   Can't lose, really - I can buy a better TV now than the (very good ) one I have for at least £150.00 less than what I originally bought my present one for... 
The keys to happiness

Slim

I think I've found a way to get audio from the telly to my HiFi amp without exposing cables. I'd like to do this because although I use an external Freeview source, the new telly has other stuff built in like Amazon Prime video, Netflix, iPlayer and so on which I'd like to take advantage of. It also has an audio sync facility that I could use for BluRays.

I have buried in the wall, behind the plaster and paint, three cables going to the telly - power, CAT6 (ethernet) and HDMI. But the telly has WiFi so I don't actually need the CAT6, and as it turns out there's a way to use the CAT6 cable as line level audio:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BF6KFOS/

.. put an adaptor on each end and I should have, in effect, HiFi interconnects running through the plaster instead of ethernet. I'll let you know if it works.

The Letter R

The 98" 8K arrived last Friday at the office - certainly a "Statement Piece"  ;D

Bisto

Quote from: The Letter R on February 12, 2019, 08:27:28 am
The 98" 8K arrived last Friday at the office - certainly a "Statement Piece"  ;D

Yeah, a more money than sense statement ::)
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

captainkurtz

Planning a major overhaul of the living room in 2020, put me down for one!
Anger is a gift.