Author Topic: 8K HD TV  (Read 593 times)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
8K HD TV
« on: November 18, 2018, 17:08:17 PM »
Just noticed these are available now: gobsmacking or just gimmicky?

Ironically they cost about 8K.  ::)
The keys to happiness

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: 8K HD TV
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 23:38:57 PM »
Just the time-honoured power of big numbers in marketing, unless you're planning to pull up a chair and use a magnifying glass to watch TV. Even the limited 4K material that's already available is compressed. 4K is a scam, and 8K is taking the piss completely.

Here's a fun fact: there are 8.3 million pixels on a 4K TV screen. There are only 6 million cones in a human eye.

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »
It might also depend on your eyesight too. I've got a 4K TV, and 4K capable bluray player (in my Xbox One S).

I have tried the odd 4K bluray - and to be honest, to my spectacle assisted eyes, I see no difference. I'm quite happy with standard HD.

My disappointment is that 3D is on the way out. I quite enjoy 3D blurays on my TV - but I fear if the time comes that I have to replace it, I am going to struggle to get a new TV with 3D capability.

Sigh.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »
My disappointment is that 3D is on the way out. I quite enjoy 3D blurays on my TV - but I fear if the time comes that I have to replace it, I am going to struggle to get a new TV with 3D capability.

Sigh.

I'm with you there; looks like anyone wanting a 3D telly now will be forced down the pre-owned route.  For some reason - probably economic, I'm not sure - 3D became unfashionable but there are many films that utilise it very well.  That said, by how much is a good film in 2D enhanced by an extra dimension?  Not significantly I'd suggest, though something like Gravity may be a notable exception.

Anyway - I'm still very happy with my 55" 1080p Samsung smart TV I bought almost five years ago; get the settings right and the picture can be very natural and "lifelike".
The keys to happiness

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 14:19:28 PM »
High-Def, Ultra-High Def.........Hyper Hi-Def????

How long before the hipsters are buying black and white TVs? And while we're at it .....bring back the Radiogram!

;D

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 18:50:40 PM »
Thinking about a new TV ... saw a Sony 55” AF8 .. £1900 .. pondering.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 20:32:31 PM »
Thinking about upsizing from 50" to 65", but there seem to be a few decent options for less than £800 at the moment. Just checked and the AF8 is OLED - very nice. Will be an absolutely brilliant picture I'm sure.

You know what's coming eventually? Software that will tart up old material in real time, synthetically. A bit like They Shall Not Grow Old, but it will interpolate and extrapolate synthetic detail using AI techniques as well as denoising and sharpening. We'll be able to watch old episodes of Porridge in hi def.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 21:19:01 PM »
Been looking at 65” Samsungs for a while actually - because TVs seem to shrink don’t they?  Some corkers available for under a grand.  Or I could just take the Yorkshireman option of sitting a bit closer. :)
The keys to happiness

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
This is the one I think I may acquire:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-65UK6300PLB-65-Inch-Smart-Freeview/dp/B07C8LNHTM/

Decent brand and works with Echo Dots, which is rather handy.

This one is even less expensive at £599 but I try to avoid Philips since my bad experience with one of their DVD recorders in the early noughties, and there's a high proportion of negative reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-65PUS6523-12-65-Inch-Freeview/dp/B07C8NR6FR/

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 11:58:31 AM »
Been looking at 65” Samsungs for a while actually - because TVs seem to shrink don’t they?  Some corkers available for under a grand.  Or I could just take the Yorkshireman option of sitting a bit closer. :)
I remember in the '90s when people had a 30 inch telly or a projector and a DVD player plugged into a stereo, they'd describe their setup as "Home Cinema". Nowadays just watching Coronation Street or the news is a big step up from what was once called Home Cinema.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 16:55:17 PM »
Just took delivery of a brand new free LG 43" UHD 4K HDR TV - 43UK6300PLB. This was part of Sky TV black Friday deal, upgraded to Sky Q (new router, sky cinema and netflix) all for £10 a month more than i was paying, 18 month contract. While its not the Sony Oled i am ogling after, it certainly is better than my current TV and i can always sell it later.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 13:23:46 PM »
The 8K being sold in the UK will be marketed for it's "upscaling" as basically there is no meaningful content available.
My understanding is the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 will be filmed and perhaps broadcast in Japan in 8K who as usual are more ahead of the game than we are in broadcasting capabilities.
I wouldn't bother investing in 8K at the moment there simply is no point and I wouldn't expect to see much meaningful content over here for at least 5 years.
The internet needs to improve somewhat for streaming 8K to be viable and broadcasters are not even fully HD yet let alone 4K in the UK.
As of 2019 there will be 4 or 5 manufacturers selling 8K in limited numbers just because if you're not offering them certain people will think you're behind the curve.

3D has been removed because of price / the unsociable side ( everyone wearing dark glasses ) and really how many films benifitted in truth? - a handful maybe.....??

Good quality 4K on a decent size screen can actually look 3D ish too especially with good HDR.

I can say the 55/65" AF8/AF9 Sony OLEDS picture is fantastic  8)

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 16:33:44 PM »
This is the one I think I may acquire:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-65UK6300PLB-65-Inch-Smart-Freeview/dp/B07C8LNHTM/

Decent brand and works with Echo Dots, which is rather handy.

And I was about to take the plunge, but it's gone up by £83 since the last time I looked! FFS

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?