Author Topic: Look we are not going to tour again. Just deal with it  (Read 614 times)

pdw1

• TNMS Member
Look we are not going to tour again. Just deal with it
« on: October 22, 2018, 18:29:38 PM »
Geddy interview with Rolling Stone telling us what we all already knew
GEDDY LEE On RUSH's Future: 'There Are Zero Plans To Tour Again'
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geddy-lee-on-rushs-future-there-are-zero-plans-to-tour-again/
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

BaldiePete

• TNMS Member
  • Old Guys Rule
Re: Look we are not going to tour again. Just deal with it
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 18:48:56 PM »

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 21:46:53 PM »
Full interview here. There’s a couple of digs at Terry Brown  >:(

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rush-geddy-lee-interview-prog-rock-hemispheres-738828/amp/

So, let me get this straight; the band did pre production work in a house they rented before going into the studio BUT it was Terry's fault for not telling Geddy to try singing in a different register, even though it was the band's (i.e. Geddy's) fault that they took so long to write Hemispheres that he (Geddy) didn't have time to demo or even rehearse the tracks or his vocals before they commited the instrumental tracks to tape in the studio?

Riiiight!

Terry could only have heard the vocals once Geddy put them down, too late by then unless they were prepared to start over and they clearly weren't. Not Terry's fault at all. That's very poor from Geddy.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 22:08:17 PM »
Also, I don't remember Geddy singing many high notes in the last 3 Terry Brown produced Rush albums. Not impressed Geddy!
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Ian Harris

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 22:17:20 PM »
A good interview though. I hadn't heard any of Rush say before that Circumstances was the (vital) sign of shorter things to come. Circumstances gets overlooked because of the other three mega-tracks.
London, May 1987
Birmingham, May 1987
London, Apr 1992
Paris, May 1992
Sacramento, Feb 1994
San Francisco, Feb 1994
Raleigh, Jul 2002
London, Sep 2004
London, Sep 2004
Manchester, Sep 2004
London, Oct 2008
Birmingham, Oct 2008
Birmingham, May 2011
London, May 2011
Birmingham, 2013
London, 2013

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 23:09:01 PM »
Also, I don't remember Geddy singing many high notes in the last 3 Terry Brown produced Rush albums. Not impressed Geddy!

It was a long time ago and he is getting on! Memory not wat it was.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 07:15:20 AM »
Full interview here. There’s a couple of digs at Terry Brown  >:(

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rush-geddy-lee-interview-prog-rock-hemispheres-738828/amp/

Interesting interview, cheers!

I don't think he was being too harsh on Terry. He does give him a lot of credit in some regards, but he clearly thinks other producers were better for him as a vocalist.

Nice to get some more insight on the mysterious finger injury too  ;D

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 14:18:17 PM »
Don't think that was a dig really - and it would be a producer's job to suggest Geddy sing in a different register.  FWIW, I'm glad he didn't...
Anger is a gift.

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 14:31:16 PM »
Interesting read.

Good news that there's no second Geddy solo album on the horizon.  ;D

Also, is it just me or did he leave the door open for a Lifeson Lee tour there playing Rush stuff? Although Geddy's voice is ruined I'd still go see that if it was in an Apollo-sized venue. ;)

"I would say there’s no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil. But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That’s possible."

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 14:36:28 PM »
Nice interview.

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 15:44:09 PM »
Interesting read.

Good news that there's no second Geddy solo album on the horizon.  ;D

Also, is it just me or did he leave the door open for a Lifeson Lee tour there playing Rush stuff? Although Geddy's voice is ruined I'd still go see that if it was in an Apollo-sized venue. ;)

"I would say there’s no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil. But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That’s possible."

Nah, I read that as meaning that you couldn’t rule out any of them appearing somewhere on a stage performing at some point in the future.  I can’t even see that happening, to be honest.  Geddy showed no desire to tour MFH at a point when he must have thought Rush were dead in the water...
Anger is a gift.

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 18:44:56 PM »

Well Alex doesn't seem to have ruled the possibility out...

"Ged and I are best buds and we talk every few days, but we’ve never talked about that. He’s been so focused on writing a big coffee-table book about basses, but it’s almost done. I have a feeling that once he’s past this and had a bit of a break, we’ll do something for sure. I haven’t stopped writing music. I know he’s missing that. Whether we’ll do something acoustically together, I don’t know. I can’t imagine we would go back on the road with anything, although it would be kind of nice to do some small theaters."

https://www.guitarplayer.com/frets/alex-lifeson-acoustic-chronicles

(Another good interview btw)  :)

Signals get crossed

• TNMS Member
  • Music is that which brings colour to our life.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 01:28:26 AM »

Rolling Stone refusing to give up hope it seems! Rush as we knew (and loved) them are no more I think we all accept that now. Personally 'An Evening of Rush' with Lee & Lifeson is something i'd still go along and see. Only time will tell I guess??

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/could-rush-continue-after-neil-peart-745690/
Glasgow '88 Sheffield '92 Birmingham '92 (2X nights) Glasgow '92 Toronto '94 Glasgow '04 Glasgow '07 Newcastle '07 Glasgow '11 London '11 London '13 Glasgow '13

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
Geddy and Alex should throw their energies into 'Fountain of Lamneth - The Musical"
We might eventually get an idea what the feck it's about!

The Letter R

• TNMS Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:57 AM »

(Another good interview btw)  :)

Indeed - great article - thanks for sharing. Not being a guitarist I didn't understand bits of it ( Nashville tuning???? ) but a great read none the less.