• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
June 16, 2019, 03:38:33 am

Bad Times At The El Royale

Started by Reg, October 18, 2018, 22:01:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reg

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Not really a fan of Jeff Bridges, but he really commanded my attention in this (he seems to be having a bit of a renaissance at the moment). In fact, all concerned in this give excellent performances, and amongst many standout moments, Cynthia Erivo singing "Unchained Melody" with no accompaniment in an incredibly tense situation, is just astonishing. One scene actually had my eyes a little damp, but I cannot describe it without spoilers and this film deserves not to be spoiled for anyone but it was pretty heart-breaking. The film also gave me goosebumps on occasion.

If you were (or are?) excited by the trailer for this, as I was, then I think you won't be disappointed. When I saw the trailer, it was one of those "I've got to see this!" moments.

I don't think this will be for everyone, and perhaps a tad overlong at about 2 hours and 20 minutes, but I just yummed it up.

It wasn't until I did some research that I discovered that the director's (Drew Goddard) first film was "Cabin In The Woods", another great film.

Top marks.

Please note : these views are my own. If you disagree with them, well boo hoo hoo.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide