Author Topic: The Predator  (Read 89 times)

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
The Predator
« on: September 14, 2018, 13:05:53 PM »

No spoilers here I hope . . .

Shane Black's extension to the series is well worth a watch, in my incredibly humble opinion.

I have liked all 3 outings so far (Predator, Predator 2, Predators - I'm not counting the AvP crossovers), and this 4th does add some new ideas, and clearly lines up the next film in the franchise, assuming that this one does well.

Being a Shane Black film, there are plenty of quick dialogue gags, and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments. There are a few ridiculous coincidences / stretches to advance the plot, or 'Did I miss something?" moments, but overall it didn't spoil the flow too much. I'm already looking forward to the next instalment.

Maybe I am getting used to this kind of fantasy violence/gore (Alien / Predator), but I didn't find this too gross. (Not as gross as Alien vs. Predator 2, that's for sure).

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It looks like this has split opinion in review land, but who cares?
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
Re: The Predator
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
I really liked the first two, especially in that they were very different films. Don't even remember a third one!

I did see one of the Alien vs Predators film, the first one probably. Very forgettable.

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
Re: The Predator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 21:05:11 PM »
The 3rd film, Predators is very different to the prior films James, which helps. The action is taken off-world. The basic premise is that a bunch of human killers (military, serial killers, other criminals - a mixed bunch) are dropped on an alien planet where they are hunted by multiple Predators. More like the 1st film in that the action is set in the wilds rather than in a city, and it has the added twist that none of the hunted bunch know each other (rather than a team like in the 1st film) and that the hunt is on right from the start.

It is directed by Nimrod Atwal, and I quite enjoyed it. Actually, I liked it a lot.

I know I am in a minority with my view here given the reverence that is bestowed upon the original - but actually Predator 2 is my pick of the bunch.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 21:22:55 PM by Reg »
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide