Author Topic: Surprised  (Read 606 times)

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
Re: Surprised
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 08:12:31 AM »
I'm surprised that Geddy hasn't put anything out, as he has often said he enjoys the creative process of writing and recording and didn't feel like he was "done" yet. That said, in no hurry to hear the results if they were to be as bland as My Favourite Headache.

Lerxst on the other hand - I'd love to hear some more Victor. In the stoner / doom / sludge world I inhabit these days he's become a bit of a legend after featuring on Fu Manchu's Il Mostro Atomico. The dreamer in me hoped that little dalliance would inspire him to delve into the heavy a bit more, on his own or with others.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »

Lerxst on the other hand - I'd love to hear some more Victor. In the stoner / doom / sludge world I inhabit these days he's become a bit of a legend after featuring on Fu Manchu's Il Mostro Atomico. The dreamer in me hoped that little dalliance would inspire him to delve into the heavy a bit more, on his own or with others.
He's already recorded a sludge album......Vapor Trails  ;D

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 18:35:11 PM »
Not sure this is the right place.

But Geddy is mentioned at the bottom of the page.

http://www.yesfeaturingarw.com/new-music-from-yes-featuring-arw-coming-soon/

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 22:11:59 PM »
Interesting one. When you look at the number of original studio albums the band put out in the twenty years leading up to the last one - only five - you don't really get a sense of a band bursting with ideas or the desire to make new music. Geddy must know that the audience struggles with his voice nearly as much as he does. Alex has a touch of arthritis.

Their first paying gig as Rush was fifty years ago on Tuesday, by the way. And it's very nearly forty years since they released what is by some distance their strongest ever album, Hemispheres.

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 22:25:04 PM »
He's already recorded a sludge album......Vapor Trails  ;D

Valid point! If Geddy's vocals were replaced with a good dollop of shouting......  ;D

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 23:51:48 PM »
And it's very nearly forty years since they released what is by some distance their strongest ever album, Hemispheres.
Characteristically provocative   ;) 

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
Hey I didn't start it

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »

I guess you could ask a similar question to Jimmy Page ........ not exactly set the world alight since 1980 when we was guitarist in the arguable the greatest rock band of all time.
True but in Jimmy's case it's a more conspicuous career decline, because he was still in his '30s in 1980. So he was something of a One Band Wonder, to coin a phrase. But as you say, what a band.

Jonners

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Give me strength.....
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »

Their first paying gig as Rush was fifty years ago on Tuesday, by the way. And it's very nearly forty years since they released what is by some distance their strongest ever album, Hemispheres.

While I have no doubt that LVS is one of the great Rush tracks, and The Trees is pretty decent, I have never understood the love in for Hemipsheres. Am I missing something? Side 1 just grates and grinds IMHO with what appears to be the same tune over and over again.

Compare it to what came next with PW, its like the band went on a "how to write a catchy Tune" course, and passed with first class honours!
The new songs are an abomination

L3rxst

• TNMS Member
  • I will choose Freewill!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 15:21:44 PM »
My sweet spot for Rush work starts with Hemispheres. It is just so musically accomplished, especially if you play yourself.
I think my sweet spot ends and includes Grace Under Pressure, which I consider a superb piece of work.
Everything in between was a treat too, PW, MP etc etc
After that, and certainly Counterparts onwards, I was disappointed, but hung on in hope and faith.......
I want to believe......

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 19:09:09 PM »

While I have no doubt that LVS is one of the great Rush tracks, and The Trees is pretty decent, I have never understood the love in for Hemipsheres. Am I missing something? Side 1 just grates and grinds IMHO with what appears to be the same tune over and over again.

Compare it to what came next with PW, its like the band went on a "how to write a catchy Tune" course, and passed with first class honours!
I also have always had a problem with the repetitive nature of side one. Possibly it was a direct result of the narrative but seems a little uninspired to me (the concept doesn't work too well for me also).
Side two has to be in the top five 'sides' of Rush music though.