Author Topic: What saved guitar rock in the 90s Grunge or Brit pop?  (Read 545 times)

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
What saved guitar rock in the 90s Grunge or Brit pop?
« on: September 07, 2018, 16:41:51 PM »
I was having a conversation with a mate and he said "Brit pop saved guitar rock in the 90s"

Is this true? Nevermind was before Wonderwall though.

I was not a big listener to either but I loved the Screaming Trees "Dust". Guitar rock seems to have gone underground again but that could be because I don't listen to music radio much!

Any thoughts?

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: What saved guitar rock in the 90s Grunge or Brit pop?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 19:23:36 PM »
It's quite obvious really - HEAVY METAL - like a musical Exlax  it's been keeping guitar rock going since its birth. 70s 80s 90s 00s and now HEAVY METAL is bringing the world together though LOUD GEETARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KERRANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Legend in my own Mind

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 20:57:16 PM »
Did it need saving?
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

pdw1

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 21:16:27 PM »
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
It's quite obvious really - HEAVY METAL - like a musical Exlax  it's been keeping guitar rock going since its birth. 70s 80s 90s 00s and now HEAVY METAL is bringing the world together though LOUD GEETARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KERRANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you are right HM just keeps reinventing itself and seems always to be there in the background if you look.

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
Did it need saving?

No. Grunge and Brit pop made it mainstream again I guess after years of Rap and Dance and SAW.

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »

Guitar rock seems to have gone underground again but that could be because I don't listen to music radio much!

Any thoughts?

The underground is where all the best guitar rock (and metal) is at present, for sure. It's where I live these days, and it's a quite thrilling place to be with outstanding new releases appearing on a weekly basis. I don't think I've ever been this excited about new music, which I find amazing considering 6 or 7 years ago I was one of those "there's no good new bands these days" kinda guys (I was the person I now get pissed off with when I hear those words being uttered).

I hardly ever listen to music from "the past" now. Not because I don't love it any more, but because there's so much amazing new stuff coming out which takes up all my listening time.

And Rufus, you won't find much underground stuff on the radio mate. Spotify playlists are where I've found a lot of the stuff I listen to these days.

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 14:00:14 PM »

And Rufus, you won't find much underground stuff on the radio mate. Spotify playlists are where I've found a lot of the stuff I listen to these days.

I'm a bit of a progarchive fan. Yes I agree with you apart from the 70s Guitar is mostly underground. Rush were mostly an underground band in the UK

So I Guess the Guitar needed saving 6 years ago.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 16:54:10 PM »
The question is moot of course - if you look at the bigger picture, SYNTHS SAVED MUSIC.

There - the thread may now be closed.  :D
HYFTOUR30

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 21:48:28 PM »
The question is moot of course - if you look at the bigger picture, SYNTHS SAVED MUSIC.

Like Rick Wakeman's keyboard set up, that's wrong on so many levels.
Legend in my own Mind

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 19:38:50 PM »

I like keyboards, ... Nothing wrong with them...in their place...but they also take away a lot of the instruments and musicians they seek to emulate. Call me old fashioned but I'd much prefer to hear and see real backing vocals and harmonies being sung live and brass and woodwind instruments being played.
Last week I had the considerable pleasure of seeing and hearing a Steely Dan Tribute act at the 606 club. There were 14 band members (almost) all on one stage, including a percussionist, three backing singers, a three man horn section and two keyboard players; the band probably could have got away with being a 5 piece but it wouldn't have been half as splendid as it was.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 13:08:34 PM »
Like Rick Wakeman's keyboard set up, that's wrong on so many levels.

Yet, they are a thing.

And Rick Wakeman's keyboard set up SAVED YES*.

* feat. ARW.
HYFTOUR30

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 14:30:30 PM »

Yet, they are a thing.

And Rick Wakeman's keyboard set up SAVED YES*.

* feat. ARW.

Just being going through some of the Yes back catalogue and was thinking about this. I think their finest album is Going for The One - the majesty of Awaken and Turn of the Century is to me their most exquisite  piece. Rick and Yes at their finest.  How they could go from this to Tormato with the same line up  a year later defies belief. Rick's keyboards just jar, as does Steve's guitar. Would have been better for everyone if it had never been released.

Kay's 3 albums The Yes Album followed up over a decade later with 90125 and Big Generator are all far more listenable to these ears than much of Yes's work with Rick. I really enjoy Close to the Edge and Fragile but I think I prefer theif output when Kay was behind the keys (bar Going For The One)
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

rufus the dawg

• TNMS Member
  • i stihl love rush?
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 16:39:13 PM »

Just being going through some of the Yes back catalogue and was thinking about this. I think their finest album is Going for The One - the majesty of Awaken and Turn of the Century is to me their most exquisite  piece. Rick and Yes at their finest.  How they could go from this to Tormato with the same line up  a year later defies belief. Rick's keyboards just jar, as does Steve's guitar. Would have been better for everyone if it had never been released.

Kay's 3 albums The Yes Album followed up over a decade later with 90125 and Big Generator are all far more listenable to these ears than much of Yes's work with Rick. I really enjoy Close to the Edge and Fragile but I think I prefer theif output when Kay was behind the keys (bar Going For The One)

I think there is some good stuff on the much maligned Union and Talk albums. Talk in particular is really good. Union could be a brilliant 40 minute album.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 19:25:32 PM »

I think there is some good stuff on the much maligned Union and Talk albums. Talk in particular is really good. Union could be a brilliant 40 minute album.

I've never heard Talk. Missed it when it came out and now I'm revisiting with Spotify and its not been released on that medium.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!