Author Topic: Manchester United Football Club 2018/19 season  (Read 256 times)

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
Manchester United Football Club 2018/19 season
« on: July 31, 2018, 21:51:08 PM »

Prepare for some long winded negative comments

No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
Re: Manchester United Football Club 2018/19 season
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 22:40:05 PM »
A few of you will know that I've been seriously thinking about moving up North for a while now; somewhere away from the overcrowding and nightmarish Public Transport system and general travel issues that affect London and its satelite towns and suburbs

Away from the dirt, grafitti and overflowing garbage bins, away from the isolationism and lack of communal identity. Hopefully, away from the fear and uncertainty over what post BREXIT life will mean.

The idea is to settle somewhere in or around the Lancashire/Yorkshire environs to be within striking distance of the Peak District, The Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District and to experience life in the North of England and visit as many of Englands Northern Cities and Towns as possible.

One of the major advantages for me in doing this would be the ability to attend United home games regularly again for the first time in 40 years. I'd even allowed myself to become excited at the prospect of becoming a season ticket holder and imagined gradually reimmersing myself back into tribal footballing culture again and no longer being merely an arm chair supporter. So many little rituals I realise that I've missed over so many years, pre and post match Pints and a pie, learning the songs and chants, reading the United Review and maybe the odd fanzine again...being inside Old Trafford again, reliving those magical memories....aaah...nostalgia! as well as some new things like learning the best route to the ground instead of being dropped outside by coach, getting to know the fans next to my seat, hopefully seeing some of the Academy players make their debuts and perhaps earn a regular spot in the first team. Welcoming a new manager to the the club.

However, it's recently become increasingly evident to me that United and Mourinho are in danger of imploding and there's a very real prospect that two of our best players will leave the club, possibly before the start of the new season.  I've become reconciled to the reality that the Glazers have adopted the Arsenal model of success where 4th place and the odd domestic cup is good enough, I can stomach that as long as the football is good to watch but I fear that won't be the case. Right now I'm thinking De Gea will probably be voted United's POTY again.

There's no hurry, I won't get a sniff of a season ticket until the renewal letters go out around Chritmas time, so I can hedge my bets and see how the season unfolds but tbh it's the lure of experiencing the craic again that's pulling me as much as the quality of the football that might be on show.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 23:14:20 PM by Bisto »
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 14:07:43 PM »
There's three grades of Man Utd season ticket - here they are:

The keys to happiness

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
There's always FC United of Manchester Andrew if you want to immerse yourself in REAL football not the over-hyped Prem  ;)

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 13:59:50 PM »
There's always FC United of Manchester Andrew if you want to immerse yourself in REAL football not the over-hyped Prem  ;)

Excellent shout, Keith.  Good set-up there and a great set of fans.  :)
The keys to happiness

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 21:42:05 PM »
I'd say there's a chance of 4th place, now.