Author Topic: RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE.  (Read 930 times)

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE.
« on: July 22, 2018, 20:04:05 PM »
I spend a lot of my time at work in a pulpit rolling aluminium slabs with just a DAB radio for company. The trouble is, it won't pick up Planet Rock anymore, so I tend to just have Absolute radio on. I'm looking for ideas for how I can play my music in the pulpit. My favoured option is probably a mini CD player, or what about something like a docking station? I currently have a Samsung S7 phone. Any Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated please.

döm

• TNMS Member
Re: RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 21:25:50 PM »
Get yourself a Bluetooth speaker which you can connect to your phone. You can then play Spotify, Deezer, you tube and internet radio to your heart's content
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
Get yourself a Bluetooth speaker which you can connect to your phone. You can then play Spotify, Deezer, you tube and internet radio to your heart's content

Agreed.

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 23:29:03 PM »
What they said.

Or if you want something with better battery life than a phone then a music player of some description with Bluetooth. I've got a Sony high resolution audio thingy myself but probably overkill for what you want.

Actually- I've just remembered that my bluetooth speaker also has a memory card slot so can play mp3s direct from micro sd - but the track selection is very basic, no menu.

Phone and Bluetooth speaker is probably easiest option as the others have said. Sorry if I've waffled!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »
Saw this on FB just now...I have no idea if any of these are any good, nor if the prices represent real bargains! Google is your friend ;)

http://https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-best-deals-on-bluetooth-speakers-in-hmvs-summer-tech-sale
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »

Not sure that link still works - try this one. Just avoid Kitsound - may be cheap but you get what you pay for sound wise.

That Sony SRSXB30 Blue is a good deal - end of life now so they're clearing out their stock - was £200 odd when it first launched - now £89.99  8)
( you can turn the flashing lights off too  ;)  )

https://store.hmv.com/technology/speakers?sort=most_relevant%20desc&quantity=72&page=1&view=grid
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:51:57 AM by The Letter R »

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
This is the speaker I use. It won best budget speaker. It's cheap has great sound but battery life isn't great. You'll probably need a charge point on your pulpit...

PC Advisor 2016/17 Winner - Sumvision Psyc Monic Wireless Bluetooth Speaker 20W Passive Subwoofer   https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C49GVZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ErVvBbYGQPDCM
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:30:50 AM by döm »
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
Also if you go via tunein radio you can listen to Planet Rock.

I have no idea how much data this streaming would use on your phone though, may have to check your plan. You can download albums to your phone though.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 13:27:30 PM »
Thanks guys. Only thing that concerns me is that I only have 2GB of data on my phone per month, so is this enough if I'm going to use it with one of these Bluetooth speakers?

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 15:03:19 PM »
Thanks guys. Only thing that concerns me is that I only have 2GB of data on my phone per month, so is this enough if I'm going to use it with one of these Bluetooth speakers?
You can download music to your phone and then play via the Bluetooth Speaker, so long as you downloaded the music when connected to WiFi then simply playing it back through the speaker won't use any data. Streaming all day for the radio would eat into your data so best to avoid that it you don't have much to play with.
I assume you cannot connect to any work WiFi?

Many BT speakers also have an AUX IN option so you could load music onto a walkman/ipod and play via the speaker too with a connection cable.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 15:06:26 PM by The Letter R »

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 18:37:49 PM »
No Keith, we can't get Wi-Fi at work mate. I'm just not up with this modern day technology mate, I was hoping that I'd get some ideas for some decent mini CD players, which are probably more up my street to be honest.

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
Do you want music via headphones or to play through speakers?
If you want via headphones then I'd go for a Walkman, ipod or your phone - you'll have a lot more flexibility music wise as you can store loads of albums and not have to bother about carrying CD's around and having to physically change them. If you want to play through speakers then like I said before you could use the same set-up and use the AUX-In with cable or on a Bluetooth Speaker connect via Bluetooth if you were using a Walkman with Bluetooth or your phone.

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 13:18:49 PM »
Right, got myself sorted. Just purchased a slim Sony unit with Bluetooth, FM radio and CD player. £120, but I had a £100 Currys voucher towards it. Will be delivered in 3-5 days as it was out of stock.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »
Sounds like a sensible shout....enjoy!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

zoony

• TNMS Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 13:58:33 PM »
Sounds like a sensible shout....enjoy!

Cheers mate. Got over a week off now, so won't be trying it out til the 9th October.