Author Topic: Summer hols 2018  (Read 258 times)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
Summer hols 2018
« on: June 25, 2018, 23:18:54 PM »
The early summer motorhome staycation is almost upon us (Saturday). Again we're heading northwards from the Shire (Oxon). We did the Lakes last year and decided to do another part (or parts) of the UK that we are unfamiliar with. We've booked two nights at a site in Castleton in the Peak District on our way up to take a look around Yorkshire. We may venture up as far as Northumberland but primary goal is to do the Dales and North York moors.
If anyone can suggest any 'must see' destinations that we can visit I'd be appreciative as we've no plans beyond those first two nights. We may try Bolton Abbey, nr Skipton after we leave The Peaks. I'd quite like to have a few hours in Harrogate and possibly visit Scarborough, Whitby etc, at some point. It'll probably be as much as I can do to keep the wife away from the Emmerdale set! I will be disappointed if at some time I don't get to happen upon three octogenarians travelling downhill, at speed, in a bathtub. Looking forward to tucking into a few pies and discovering if they still practice the ancient art of 'Ecky Thump' in those parts. Any advice would be appreciated.Cheers

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
Re: Summer hols 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »
There's a good week to be had in the Yorskshire Moors....stay near Thirsk / York and its an easy drive to the coasts or the moors
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
Bolton Abbey is alright.  Beware ‘The Strid’... ;)

HYFTOUR30

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 22:29:06 PM »
Bolton Abbey is alright.  Beware ‘The Strid’... ;)
Wow! Just googled it

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 23:53:14 PM »
Plenty of Caverns in Castleton, the Devils Arse being one. Climb up Mam Tor.
Then go to Whitby and stuff yourself full of fish and chips.
Legend in my own Mind

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
We've already done the Caribbean this year and will be doing Cornwall again next month.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 21:13:12 PM »
Plenty of Caverns in Castleton, the Devils Arse being one. Climb up Mam Tor.
Then go to Whitby and stuff yourself full of fish and chips.
Really enjoying Castleton! Loving the Peak Hotel gin festival and The Castle for Sunday lunch. Apart from the pubs, the scenery is nice but the road through is plagued by wannabe Barry Sheenes. Took a walk up to Peak Cavern but baulked  at the £12 pp entrance fee so the Devil can stick it right up his arse!
Tomorrow we plan to walk up Mam Tor before moving on to Bolton Abbey via Skipton for a bit of shopping. Loving this weather!

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 21:55:39 PM »
It's a nice walk up Mam Tor. I'd sooner do that than ride up the Edale side of it.
I think the last time I visited Peak Cavern it was under a fiver!
And yes, the Peaks are rather overrun with bikers of the motor variety, yet all the signs festooning the roadsides urge drivers to "Think Bike" when it should really say "Bikers, Think!" or even "Drivers and Motorcyclists RESPECT CYCLISTS!"
Legend in my own Mind

DavidL

• TNMS Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 23:08:35 PM »
Did Mam Tor yesterday followed by a bit of wild swimming at Slippery Stones (Howden reservoir). Took Snake Pass towards Manchester beforel heading up to Bolton Abbey (gave The Strid a wide berth). Today we arrived at Lower Wensleydale camp site just outside of Leyburn. Had a nice wander around Harrogate on the way. Watched the game in The Bolton Arms, Leyburn, great atmosphere - really enjoyed it. What a tense match! We really are not good enough to win it, but might have the luck this time.
Tomorrow we are crossing The Dales heading up to Newcastleton in the Scottish Borders (via Redmire river for some more wild swimming). Weather still superb.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 23:12:19 PM by DavidL »

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 16:37:38 PM »
I did Cornwall. Hot weather, nice pubs, super beaches and a nice coast path with great views.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 21:56:34 PM »
Discussed holidays with Mrs S last night. We got down to a choice of: 1 night in Brum; 2 nights in Cambridge or three nights in Edinburgh.

One night isn't enough, Mrs S didn't really want to be away from her housebound mother for three nights, so two nights in Cambridge it is.
Legend in my own Mind

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 07:28:42 AM »
Discussed holidays with Mrs S last night. We got down to a choice of: 1 night in Brum; 2 nights in Cambridge or three nights in Edinburgh.

One night isn't enough, Mrs S didn't really want to be away from her housebound mother for three nights, so two nights in Cambridge it is.
2 Gig venues in Cambridge....The Corn Exchange & The Junction  ;)
Patrick lives closeby, as do Fuzzy & Lynda.
I'd recommend visiting Kettle's Yard
Parking is extorionate. I use the Castle St car park and walk into the City or use the Park & Ride.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 22:33:32 PM »
We're going by train. Mrs S turns into a gibbering wreck if we have to travel more than 10 miles on a Motorway. I turn into a nervous wreck due to her constant cries of "LOOK OUT!" Look out for what? "THAT CAR!" What Car? "THAT ONE IN FRONT!" You mean the one half a mile away? Her constant thinking we have a dual control car drives me bats too.

We're going down for some nosebag at Midsummer House, seeing if taking out a second mortgage to try 2 Michelin Star food is worth it.
Legend in my own Mind

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 23:33:37 PM »
Plenty of places to eat. Browns is usually good. There's a Jamie's Italian with a Jamie's pizzaria above (better value imo)Make sure to visit the "Pint Shop" for an inetresting array of beersThe centre of town as all very walkable