Football World Cup

Started by The Letter R, June 13, 2018, 17:22:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Quote from: zoony on July 01, 2018, 12:49:00 pm
France and Uruguay raised their games to a level yesterday that I feel England would struggle to match.

2 brilliant games. Really enjoying this World Cup
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Bisto

Quote from: döm on June 17, 2018, 14:32:04 pm

Exactly. No point producing your best football before the knock out part of the competition. All that matters is qualification.
Can the likes of Argentina and France pick up their game when it matters. That is the big question.

We'll, it seems that France can.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Matt2112

Thought Spain vs Portugal was one of the best World Cup games in living memory, with what looked like the goal of the tournament, only for France vs Argentina to surpass it, with a better goal scored by Di Maria, and then an even better one from France's Pavard.  Fantastic stuff. :)
The keys to happiness

The Letter R

Saturday had the 2 best games by far - waaaay above any level England could achieve I fear. Only problem with France is they can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde but on their day one of the best.
From the Sunday games Russia did what was needed to suffocate the Spanish team - once it reached penalties anyones game. Croatia dipped performance wise from the group stages but managed to still progress with some excellent saves by both keepers.

zoony

Brazil are quietly going about their business. I still fancy Uruguay though.

Matt2112

Tremendous second half in the Belgium vs Japan game. Quality football, great goals, drama...had everything.  Best World Cup since France '98* this.

* And I'm not just saying that because I went to the 3rd-place play-off as a guest of Hilton Hotels...  ::) ;) ;D
The keys to happiness

zoony

Down to the last 4 now then, and a very real possibility that we'll have the 9th different country to win it.

The Letter R

Quote from: zoony on July 09, 2018, 09:21:30 am
Down to the last 4 now then, and a very real possibility that we'll have the 9th different country to win it.

Yes - it will either be a Newbie or a second time winner......

Bisto

Really looking forward to the France v Belgium game tomorrow. Hopefully France will hit the ground running and play the expansive football they are capable of. Could be in for a classic, a nail bitter  and/or another shock. Just hope it doesn't go to penalties...fecking horrible way to go out especially at the semi-final stage
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

The Letter R

Quote from: Bisto on July 09, 2018, 23:39:54 pm
Really looking forward to the France v Belgium game tomorrow. Hopefully France will hit the ground running and play the expansive football they are capable of. Could be in for a classic, a nail bitter  and/or another shock. Just hope it doesn't go to penalties...fecking horrible way to go out especially at the semi-final stage

Agree on all counts.....was considering going to Woking vs AFC Wimbledon friendly tonight but think this semi final could be a cracker - here's hoping.....

Matt2112

Quote from: The Letter R on July 10, 2018, 09:42:49 am
Agree on all counts.....was considering going to Woking vs AFC Wimbledon friendly tonight but think this semi final could be a cracker - here's hoping.....

Got a text from a mate asking if I was going to watch our friendly at The Shay tonight.  Errr, no...  ::)
The keys to happiness

The Letter R

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 10, 2018, 11:43:27 am

Got a text from a mate asking if I was going to watch our friendly at The Shay tonight.  Errr, no...  ::)

;D

Matt2112

Quote from: The Letter R on July 10, 2018, 13:58:48 pm

;D

:)   It gets worse - it's actually away at Brighouse Town.

Hmmm...France vs Belgium in a World Cup semi-final, or Brighouse Town vs Halifax Town Mostly-Triallists XI.

What to do...  :o ::) ;)
The keys to happiness

döm

I take it all back about Deschamps! What a wonderfully organised and disciplined performance to neuter the most potent attack in this World Cup.  Highly enjoyable. I suppose the neutral would have liked a few more goals but France showed themselves to be a serious outfit tonight.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind