Football World Cup

Started by The Letter R, June 13, 2018, 17:22:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

All my sympathies were with the ref. Not only having to manage The seemingly constant histrionics but also having to make all those VAR calls.

It must be almost impossible to say no when he has a single real time view of the incident compared to the 4 refs in the studio in Moscow with the 20 camera angles. They have to be a lot more stringent with what gets referred.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

Well I thought that was an outrage. What's the point of having VAR if it's wholly useless? Just adds wasted time to a stupid decision.

DavidL

June 25, 2018, 23:34:47 pm #32 Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 23:43:36 pm by DavidL
Poor call for the handball penalty decision (against Portugal) and the yellow for Ronaldo should have probably been a red (if he believed it required punishment) but the ref didn't have the balls for that. Quaresma's goal was exquisite.
I think VAR has worked well for the most part but it's clear that refs can make a bad decision even with VAR. That was always going to be the case in a few situations.
Two things that annoy me about pundits: they continue to refer to a penalty as 'missed' when it is saved by the keeper and they continue t o refer to whether a player has 'got a touch on the ball' in the proces of committing a foul (as if it makes any difference).

Matt2112

Quote from: DavidL on June 25, 2018, 23:34:47 pm
Poor call for the handball penalty decision (against Portugal) and the yellow for Ronaldo should have probably been a red (if he believed it required punishment) but the ref didn't have the balls for that.
I think VAR has worked well for the most part but it's clear that refs can make a bad decision even with VAR. That was always going to be the case in a few situations.
Two things that annoy me about pundits: they continue to refer to a penalty as 'missed' when it is saved by the keeper and they continue t o refer to whether a player has 'got a touch on the ball' in the proces of committing a foul (as if it makes any difference).

Totally agree on all counts.

Online, say, when it says "Ronaldo missed pen" it should read "Ronaldo pen saved".  It's fewer characters, even.
The keys to happiness

DavidL

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 25, 2018, 23:43:19 pm

Online, say, when it says "Ronaldo missed pen" it should read "Ronaldo pen saved".  It's fewer characters, even.
;D ;)

The Letter R

Yes, the penalty thing always bugs me - it's always the case in every game, "Saved Penalty" gives credit to the keeper too.

zoony

Some of the penalties awarded for handball have been shocking. The rule is that it has to be deliberate, which it can't be when the ball is literally hitting you from less than a foot or so. Why not change the rule to penalty if it hits the hand regardless? At least we'd all know where we stood!

zoony

With a couple of world class strikers, and the meanest defence in the tournament so far, Uruguay could be a good bet to win it.

döm

Agreed on Uruguay. As I remember people thought they would be dark horses then
I think they will do better this time round.

Meanwhile, despite the most amazing pool of talent, Deschamps managers to turn France into a bunch of cloggers. Hopefully they will be allowed to express themselvescwhen they play Argentina.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

DavidL

Joachim Low, Angela Merkel, Helmut Kohl, Steffi Graf, Boris Becker, Heidi Klum, Manfred von Richthofen, Frederick Nietzsche, Joseph Goebbels - your boys took one hell of a beating!

Slim

pdw1

The draw has become so lop sided that England would be better loosing this evening.
Could be a strange game.
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

zoony

Quote from: Slim on June 28, 2018, 00:00:15 am
Don't mention the VAR

Why not? Best thing to happen to football for years.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: zoony on June 28, 2018, 13:45:36 pm

Why not? Best thing to happen to football for years.

Zooners, think Fawlty Towers and German pronunciation...

Oh dear, Belgium Reserves beat England reserves. Ho-hum.
Legend in my own Mind

zoony

France and Uruguay raised their games to a level yesterday that I feel England would struggle to match.