Author Topic: Avengers Infinity War  (Read 218 times)

cygnusxdave

• TNMS Member
Avengers Infinity War
« on: May 01, 2018, 17:44:08 PM »
10 years in the making. The culmination of everything in the MCU since Robert Downey Jr first appeared as Iron Man in 2008.

I saw this on Sunday evening and I'm still stunned by what I witnessed. It's a real roller-coaster of a movie. There are, of course, funny lines. It's a Marvel movie, after all, but be prepared for some shocks. The tone is set in the first 10 minutes and things only get harder for Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

There are lots of "WTF?" moments. At the end (stay around for an end credits scene after the full credits - about 10-15 minutes, but it is important to the movie and the future of The MCU), everybody in the cinema sat looking at each other in a bewildered state. I was still trying to process what had happened when I was on my way to work on Monday afternoon.

If you don't like super hero movies and haven't seen any of the other MCU canon, then it won't make any sense, but if you've been following the MCU, then this is what you've been waiting for. I will need to see it again, to make sure I've got everything right in my head for the as yet untitled Avengers 4, which will be a continuation of the Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet battle, that is due for release in May next year.

A quick word about Thanos. He's the best villain in the MCU. He's not just The Mad Titan, he's actually a character with feelings that manifest themselves in the movie. Yes, he's a CGI/motion capture character, but Josh Brolin makes him a little more "human" than just a one dimensional bad guy. DCEU take note.

Each hero gets their chance to shine and the fight scenes are spectacular. Thor just edges out Dr Strange as MVP.

As a Marvel fan from reading comics when I was about 9 or 10 years old, back in the mid 70's, this is manna from Heaven. 

I talk to planets, Baby!

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
Re: Avengers Infinity War
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 18:59:37 PM »
Saw it in 4D.  Thought it was pretty good, although I fell asleep for around 20 minutes somewhere in the middle.
Anger is a gift.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 20:32:01 PM »
Saw it in 4D.  Thought it was pretty good, although I fell asleep for around 20 minutes somewhere in the middle.

4D?  I remember going to Shrek 4D at Universal Orlando.  Bloody hell, you do get about.  :o ;D
HYFTOUR30

Reg

• Global Moderator
  • TNMS Member
  • Must be the woman in you, brings out the man in me
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 16:40:09 PM »
Difficult to give my views without spoilers so I won't try.

But if you are a fan of the Marvel films, you won't want to miss it.

2.5 hours flew by, and I'm going to need time to digest everything - especially that ending. The trouble is, as we know that this is part 1, it is difficult to review by itself. I can only say whether the whole thing is satisfying when we know the whole story.

Next week, Deadpool 2. I nearly did a Marvel double bill but am glad I didn't, I need a bit of a breather after Avengers : Infinity War!

Without spoiling anything, Chris Hemsworth's Thor just keeps getting better and better, and I thought that Peter Dinklage's contribution was ace.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Richard_2112

• TNMS Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 23:53:53 PM »
For me this film completely re-sets the bar for superhero films. In pretty much all aspects this film is perfect.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 01:05:15 AM »
Just (finally) watched on 3D Blu-ray.

What?  Whaaat?? WHHAAAAAT???!!

The quickest 2-and-a-half hour film I’ve ever seen.

As mentioned above, this raises the bar.  What a consistently brilliant franchise the Marvel films have been.
HYFTOUR30