RUSH fanzine

Started by zoony, January 16, 2018, 19:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zoony

I was talking to a bloke called Phil last night, who is the brother of my late best mate, Iantheholte. He was telling me that his wife's uncle had just passed away suddenly, and he was also a big RUSH fan. Phil said he had a fair few cops of a fanzine called The spirit of RUSH if I was interested in having them, which obviously I am. I'm sure I've seen this fanzine mentioned on here before, and was wondering if anyone has got any info on it?

Thailand Express

I think I've got every issue in a box in my parents' loft. It was the absolute business in the pre internet days...

Signals get crossed

January 17, 2018, 00:38:14 am #2 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 00:18:18 am by Signals get crossed

Well worth checking out Zoony, yeah TSOR was a great read back in the day, always liked coming home from work & finding that the new issue had arrived in the post. Back then it was the likes of Kerrang & Metal Hammer for rock news and that was about it. The years covering Hold Your Fire thro' to Test For Echo were enthusiastically covered by Mick & his small team. Lost touch with it myself at some point in 1998-99..

I met Mick briefly at Birmingham on the Roll The Bones tour, thanks to him & the fanzine i got fantastic seats for both nights there :) Was genuinely shocked a few years later to find out he had died at a young age quite suddenly if i remember..
Glasgow '88 Sheffield '92 Birmingham '92 (2X nights) Glasgow '92 Toronto '94 Glasgow '04 Glasgow '07 Newcastle '07 Glasgow '11 London '11 London '13 Glasgow '13

BaldiePete

Mick Parry was involved in it at the start.

Every issue is available online here.
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tsor.php

You'll recognise a few names in there if you dig around.

The Letter R

Yes Mick Burnett kept the interest in Rush alive in the UK/Europe with that Fanzine during the days when Rush's record company told them there was no need to tour Europe.... :( .....Our very own Analog was a sub editor also on many an issue. Pre Internet it was pretty much the only way to keep in touch with all things Rush - there was also a few Bootlegs on offer too  8)

Mick also organised the first ever Rush Conventions - Leicester University 1996 I think....he died not long after returning from the States after seeing Rush on the Vapor Trails Tour - very sad loss to the Rush community.

zoony

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I get when Phil brings them round to me.

RAY4583

Good day, Zoony.  Indeed, I could wax poetic about the wonder of, "The Spirit Of Rush" for pages and pages here.  I befriended Mick in 1986, just as he was laying the foundation for what became a great, sixteen year run with the fanzine.  Amidst my ridiculous collection that surrounds me here at home, without question, my collection of every issue of, "The Spirit Of Rush" holds a very special place in my heart.  As one of the fellow fans here just noted, this fanzine was an excellent way for Mick and his team- myself included, as well as Andrew Field, Stewart Gilray, Janet Balmer, Neil Elliot, and some of Mick's other Stateside friends- to keep fans up to date on all things Rush, before the internet came along and altered our collective orbit.  Really, it wouldn't be a bad way for a fan who is new to Rush to educate himself/herself on the band, were he/she to start on page one of issue one, and subsequently read through each and every issue in it's entirety. The fanzine published issue number one in the summer of 1987, and was put to bed after it's last edition was published posthumously in the Spring of 2003, under Janet's guidance.  There is an admitted bias in how I view, "The Spirit Of Rush".  My friendship with Mick was very real, and his loss in the summer of 2002 hit the Rush fan community very deeply, myself included.  I'm sure if you were to get your hands on the copies you referenced, you would be impressed with the quality, the substance, and the labor that it took to maintain this sort of dedication for as long as he (Mick) did.  The band was very aware of Mick's work.  They received each and every edition of the fanzine.  Neil himself wrote to Mick personally in December of '89.  That particular correspondence was reprinted for inclusion in the next/subsequent issue- which was issue ten- which came out in the Winter of 1990.  Their class act- to send something to Mick's family at his wake- was a kind and generous move, to recognize all he (Mick) did to keep the band's name alive in the UK, especially during their years of absence on your side of the pond.  Andrew MacNaughtan worked closely with Mick and everyone associated with the fanzine as well, even making available a special, limited edition offer of his, "Presto" album prints to subscribers of the fanzine only.  I hope you do get your hands on at least a few copies.  Sure, they can now be accessed online.  But, to have them in your hands is worth infinitely more than what reading them online will offer you.  My best to you, then, with the hopes that Mick's spirit and enthusiasm will still speak to you, through the pages on what awaits you.- Ray W.

Analog RH

It was a special time. I still miss Mick so much. I listened to A Show Of Hands, Presto and Roll The Bones for the first time in his company. The 7 days I spent with him, Janet Balmer and Tom Cornell in Canada on the Test For Echo tour remains the best week of my life. RIP.

zoony

Quote from: RAY4583 on January 18, 2018, 06:13:03 am
  Good day, Zoony.  Indeed, I could wax poetic about the wonder of, "The Spirit Of Rush" for pages and pages here.  I befriended Mick in 1986, just as he was laying the foundation for what became a great, sixteen year run with the fanzine.  Amidst my ridiculous collection that surrounds me here at home, without question, my collection of every issue of, "The Spirit Of Rush" holds a very special place in my heart.  As one of the fellow fans here just noted, this fanzine was an excellent way for Mick and his team- myself included, as well as Andrew Field, Stewart Gilray, Janet Balmer, Neil Elliot, and some of Mick's other Stateside friends- to keep fans up to date on all things Rush, before the internet came along and altered our collective orbit.  Really, it wouldn't be a bad way for a fan who is new to Rush to educate himself/herself on the band, were he/she to start on page one of issue one, and subsequently read through each and every issue in it's entirety. The fanzine published issue number one in the summer of 1987, and was put to bed after it's last edition was published posthumously in the Spring of 2003, under Janet's guidance.  There is an admitted bias in how I view, "The Spirit Of Rush".  My friendship with Mick was very real, and his loss in the summer of 2002 hit the Rush fan community very deeply, myself included.  I'm sure if you were to get your hands on the copies you referenced, you would be impressed with the quality, the substance, and the labor that it took to maintain this sort of dedication for as long as he (Mick) did.  The band was very aware of Mick's work.  They received each and every edition of the fanzine.  Neil himself wrote to Mick personally in December of '89.  That particular correspondence was reprinted for inclusion in the next/subsequent issue- which was issue ten- which came out in the Winter of 1990.  Their class act- to send something to Mick's family at his wake- was a kind and generous move, to recognize all he (Mick) did to keep the band's name alive in the UK, especially during their years of absence on your side of the pond.  Andrew MacNaughtan worked closely with Mick and everyone associated with the fanzine as well, even making available a special, limited edition offer of his, "Presto" album prints to subscribers of the fanzine only.  I hope you do get your hands on at least a few copies.  Sure, they can now be accessed online.  But, to have them in your hands is worth infinitely more than what reading them online will offer you.  My best to you, then, with the hopes that Mick's spirit and enthusiasm will still speak to you, through the pages on what awaits you.- Ray W.

Thank you very much for that post Ray, a lot of I go there that was news to me. I look forward to having some of these copies of something that had I known about at the time, would have definitely subscribed to.

mikeyboy

January 21, 2018, 15:23:17 pm #9 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 15:28:08 pm by mikeyboy
i was a subscriber to the spirit of rush. like someone else said pre internet days apart from kerrang!/metal hammer etc there was nothing nowhere else for any rush info, so Mick and his team's fanzines were very much appreciated. was buzzin when that brown a4 envelope used to arrive on my doormat! loved reading those fanzines and still have all of them. never met Mick but to a fanatical rush fan those fanzines were a godsend and i hoped he and his team realised it and just how much it meant to this rush fan and many of its other readers.

Chalker the Stalker 2

I stumbled across my first copy of TSOR at the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street, and yes have a complete set in a box somewhere.

Essential reading for Rush fan back in the day, when ordering off of Amazon.com was a new experience and full of anticipation.......... 

Stewart

I co-edit and did all the layout for TSoR back between 93 and 97 I think.

Mick and I also organised the first 2 conventions in 96 and 97, with the held of Andy, Janet, Neil and others, great days :)

Jonny B

I'm flicking through the entire collection as I read this thread - I've been meaning to scan these for years - perhaps now...it is time

BaldiePete

Quote from: Jonny B on January 26, 2018, 00:59:42 am
I'm flicking through the entire collection as I read this thread - I've been meaning to scan these for years - perhaps now...it is time

No need. They are all here.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tsor.php

Jonny B