What's in Your CD Player etc....175

Started by Bez, December 15, 2017, 11:12:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rufus the dawg

Jonners

Quote from: zoony on August 07, 2019, 18:19:20 pmI never actually got around to buying the Clutching at straws album. Script for a jesters tear is a great album, whereas Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood are both terrific. Apart from everything by RUSH, Fugazi is my favourite album.
I would recommend it big man, especially with a remix available and an extra live Disc with a couple of tracks from Fugazi on it.
Clutching took me a while to "get", it came out at the time my music tastes went a little more extreme.

However now, it is my Go to Marillion album (see what i did there?)
The new songs are an abomination

Slim

Been on a bit of an Acid Jazz revival this last week or so. Listening to Corduroy quite a bit.

My go to Marillion album is Afraid of Sunlight

zoony

Reg

Alcatrazz - The Very Best Of Alcatrazz.

Considering it is the best of Alcatrazz, there is quite a bit of Rainbow material on there!
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind

rufus the dawg

Nïckslïkk2112

MagmaMekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Legend in my own Mind

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Jonners on August 09, 2019, 10:33:32 amI would recommend it big man, especially with a remix available and an extra live Disc with a couple of tracks from Fugazi on it.
Clutching took me a while to "get", it came out at the time my music tastes went a little more extreme.

However now, it is my Go to Marillion album (see what i did there?)
Clutching at Straws is brilliant better than Misplaced Childhood imo. Also Marbles is great with H

rufus the dawg

Bisto

The Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sergeant Pepper 2009 remasters
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

rufus the dawg

Anathema - we're here because we are here.

Straight Shooter

Quote from: zoony on August 07, 2019, 18:19:20 pmI never actually got around to buying the Clutching at straws album. Script for a jesters tear is a great album, whereas Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood are both terrific. Apart from everything by RUSH, Fugazi is my favourite album.
Although out of stock just now, Amazon are selling the 4 CD + Blu-Ray deluxe set for just £21.61!

HERE.
"I mean...unbelievable, you're a walking encyclopaedia!" : Rick Wakeman - Planet Rock's 'Tune-Adversity Challenge' 2007.

Matt2112

August 14, 2019, 14:21:51 pm #1168 Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 19:15:13 pm by Matt2112
It's that time of year again folks...!!  8)

This year's Annual Summer Richard Marx Album is the follow-up to the chart-conquering masterpiece Repeat Offender, namely Rush Street.

First things first: Rush Street is not a patch on RO.  It is mostly slickly-produced filler of the kind that belongs wafting out of the speakers of some budget Miami Beach hotel's elevator. 

It's a rather uneven record, evinced by the fact that amongst its myriad of - admittedly top notch - session and guest musicians, we get Steve Lukather's beach body guitar on soft-rock tracks and the velvety tones of Luther Vandross backing smoother numbers.

Lukather's involvement renders RS at least a level heavier than RO, and in all honesty this is to the album's severe detriment; even to my acutely 80s calibrated sensibility, the punchier tracks sound more horribly dated with each passing year, each coming across as some kind of U-rated Motley Crue pastiche, the sex, drugs and debauchery of Vince Neil & co completely disregarded in favour of a hugely watered-down, soft-focus approach.  Streets Of Pain is possibly the most egregious example, not least because it has one Tommy Lee guesting on drums (also, trivia fans, on backing vocals is Dalbello).

But look: I didn't pick out Rush Street for the lameness of its weak tracks, or the passing quilty pleasures of its somewhat cheesy cuts.  I put it on because of four words, namely, "Take This Heart" and "Hazard", otherwise known as two of the best tracks Marx has ever written.

Fortunately, they arrive consecutively and that is probably not an accident.  Take This Heart is notable not just because it is an absolute stonewall banger of a pop-rock track, but also because it contains the best key change of all time in modern popular music.  Just listen to that transition between bridge and chorus; it's pure, exospheric genius that a million Ed Sheerans each trying a million chord changes wouldn't get anywhere near happening upon.

Hazard, well everyone knows that song, a staple of commercial radio playlists for almost thirty years now, in that respect surpassed in Marx's canon only by Right Here Waiting.

Put the top down and enjoy.  8)
The keys to happiness

rufus the dawg