• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.

What's in Your CD Player etc....175

Started by Bez, December 15, 2017, 10:12:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonners

The 11th Hour-Burden of Grief, and Lacrima Mortis

Incredibly heavy doom/metal/Sabbath/Candlemass style heaviness. Clean vocals, crazy heavy guitar sound!

And Mors Principium Est=Dawn of the 5th
Melo Death/Power Metal from Finland. Mix between At the Gates, Dark Tranquility and In Flames. But better!
The new songs are an abomination

pdw1

GTR - GTR
Asia - Aqua

I guess I am in an AOR Synths type of mood
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Thenop

Baroness - Gold & Grey
I really like it. I know there will be people complaining about the sound - but this is essentially just an artistic choice and a quite obvious one at that (it is quite heavily compressed and distorted at times). It is a kaleidoscope of an album, it has all the makings of a magnum opus to me. I believe this album will turn out to be a pivotal point in the bands' catalogue.
Bla-bla big words, I know, but that does not take away form the fact the song writing is top notch here. They have clearly moved away more and more from standards set in metal even though loud guitars are still present but the fuzz laden basslines and lively drums, that more often than not swirl around odd time signatures are far from what I'd call modern metal, or metal of the old for that matter. Sure there is Baroness as we know it (Borderlines most obviously) but most of the album is new territory for the band. I think this is what Baizley & Co was trying to achieve prematurely with Green & Yellow but failed to capture: a wide vision of what Baroness music can be: it finally lived up to its' full potential, not taking away from Red or Blue - these were early days masterpieces in itself (Blue is 10 years already!).
And that's saying a lot coming from an old metalhead...
Arrogance Is Bliss

Reg

I've just finished Muse : Absolution

Now enjoying the delights of the 'other Canadian power trio' Triumph: Just A Game

Sadly can't see Rik Emmett ever gracing these shores again.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

pdw1

2 new CDs from Rockosmos arrived yesterday and very good they are too

Dead Blonde Stars - Keepsake
like Soundgarden and Alice In Chains reincarnated in 21st century North England

Awooga - Session
Brilliant trippy Stoner, Space rock

The Letter R

Morass of Molasses new release - The Ties That Bind

And some Mohair B-Sides, ahead on tonights gig, that have just been given the light of day on Deezer

pdw1

pdw1

Nïckslïkk2112

Legend in my own Mind

Ali

Rammstein 
followed by
Mostly Autumn - White Rainbow
Rome-Wembley-Paris-Rome-Istanbul-Madrid

Jonners

Pallbearer-Heartless. Brilliant Metal/Doom/Sabbath type stuff
The new songs are an abomination

Thenop

Quote from: Jonners on June 17, 2019, 10:09:15 amPallbearer-Heartless. Brilliant Metal/Doom/Sabbath type stuff
Fantastic album indeed, and it has been noticed: they just signed with Nuclear Blast for their new album. They are going places :-)
Arrogance Is Bliss

pdw1

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu

both discs  :o