Echo Dot currently £35 on Amazon

Started by Slim, December 12, 2017, 19:29:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Still no fix for playing on Sonos via Alexa command, really annoying.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Reg

Whilst I have not had an answer from the Beeb, I think I have found a pretty definitive answer in these 2 pieces. Firstly from Amazon, and then from the BBC:

From the Amazon announcement e-mail:
Quote from: undefinedBeginning on 30th September, BBC will cease support for BBC live radio streams via TuneIn on Echo devices. You can still access BBC radio stations via the "BBC" Alexa skill however, this skill does not currently support playback via routines, alarms/timers, Multi-Room Music Playback or Echo companion devices (Echo Sub, Echo Link and Echo Link Amp).

From the BBC announcement (see the "Follow Up From Keiran" a bit down the page):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

Quote from: undefinedWe are pushing the boundaries as far as we can with our custom skill but Amazon does not make features such as alarms and multi-room playback available to custom skills. We will continue to work with Amazon to find a solution.
So Amazon appear to be 'blaming' the Beeb saying that the BBC skill "does not currently support blah blah blah" whereas the Beeb are saying that Amazon do not allow custom skills (such as BBC Sounds) access to features such as alarms and multi-room playback. 

Either way, I think I've found my answer - that it isn't possible at present.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

Another thing that doesn't appear to be possible with Echo devices. No, actually, not possible with Amazon Music Unlimited. It would appear to be possible with Spotify Premium? I don't know as I don't have this.

Anyway . . . I was listening to Judas Priest (FIrepower) on the kitchen Echo Dot whilst doing the ironing, and I was really enjoying it, so thought I would try and 'transfer' the playback to my upstairs Echo. Turns out (from everything I've read) that this is just not possible with Amazon Music Unlimited. I can play the music everywhere, or on a group - not a problem.

But it looks like if I want to move to another room where the music isn't currently streaming, that I have to start the album / playlist from scratch and then skip tracks to get back to where I was.

And yes, I've tried "Pause" on one then "Continue" on another - all this does is continue on the other speaker from what that speaker was doing before.

Here is a thread discussing this very issue:

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/echo-alexa/485127-continue-or-move-music-to-another-device
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Reg

December 03, 2019, 16:35:37 pm #33 Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 16:37:33 pm by Reg
This is from the reply to me from a BBC representative:

Thanks for getting in contact with BBC Sounds Support.

I understand that you are hoping to find out if it is possible to listen to BBC Sounds on multiple speakers at the same time using your Amazon Echo speakers.

At the moment, the BBC Skill isn't supported for pairing with other speakers. The BBC has developed a custom skill to offer access to its audio services and a great deal more.

Amazon does not offer features such as multi-room and alarms to custom skill developers. As soon as this functionality becomes available to the BBC we will embrace it.

In the interim we continue to work with Amazon to explore solutions.

Your interest in this is appreciated, Reginald. This is a feature I would also like to see in the future.

What I can do is record your feedback and place it onto our BBC Sounds Feedback Report.

This will be seen by the Head of BBC Sounds as well as by the various Sounds Product teams.

Your feedback concerning the usability of the BBC Sounds app is greatly appreciated. The BBC Sounds Product teams find this sort of feedback to be very useful to them in influencing future development decisions regarding Sounds.

Thanks again for getting in touch, Reginald.