Echo Dot currently £35 on Amazon

Started by Slim, December 12, 2017, 19:29:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pdw1

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Nick

I like the ability to add things to a shopping list on my iPhone, just tell Alexa to add milk to the list and it appears.

Not so happy that bbc have removed their radio shows from tune-in radio which means I can no longer tell Alexa to,
"play radio 4 in Kitchen" and it would play through my kitchen sonos 5. First world problems.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Bez

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2019, 20:56:22 pmI like the ability to add things to a shopping list on my iPhone, just tell Alexa to add milk to the list and it appears.

Not so happy that bbc have removed their radio shows from tune-in radio which means I can no longer tell Alexa to,
"play radio 4 in Kitchen" and it would play through my kitchen sonos 5. First world problems.
That worked for me on Friday, Nick...is it a very recent change?
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

Quote from: Nick on October 05, 2019, 20:56:22 pmI like the ability to add things to a shopping list on my iPhone, just tell Alexa to add milk to the list and it appears.

I'd noticed that the 'Tune In' app no longer works. But BBC Sounds works fine - so if you just say "Radio 4" to a Dot, it will work quite nicely. If you say "play Radio 4" the 'play' keyword will try to invoke Tune In, and that won't work now.

Not sure if BBC Sounds will work remotely with a Sonos like Tune In did, though. Never used that facility myself.

Bez

Quote from: Slim on October 06, 2019, 23:51:55 pmI'd noticed that the 'Tune In' app no longer works. But BBC Sounds works fine - so if you just say "Radio 4" to a Dot, it will work quite nicely. If you say "play Radio 4" the 'play' keyword will try to invoke Tune In, and that won't work now.

Not sure if BBC Sounds will work remotely with a Sonos like Tune In did, though. Never used that facility myself.
Ta, sounds like an experiment for breakfast time tomorrow AM...

Bez

Quote from: Bez on October 07, 2019, 00:27:37 amTa, sounds like an experiment for breakfast time tomorrow AM...
Had a play this AM....

BBC sounds does work as Slim says above, but my Echo wouldn't play BBC sounds to my Sonos.

Nick

Yes that's the issue and a retrograde step by the BBC, apparently Tune-in refused to share data with the BBC. I never listen on my dot only via my sonos. I can play BBC radio from the sonos app but was so used to the ease of shouting at alexa.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Reg

Quite a good bundle deal on QVC if you wanted all 3 items that are included. Saving about £40 (well, £35 if you include QVC postage) compared to Amazon's prices. Oh - it is currently a "Today's Special Value", so if you ordered today, a saving over over £50 (Amazon prices genuinely are £79.99 + £49.99 + £24.99 = £154.97, QVC TSV price is £94.98 + £4.95 postage). And if you've never ordered from QVC before, I believe you can get another £5 off using code FIVE4U.

No, I don't work for them or get any kind of kick-back, but this is a good deal. Note that it is the 3rd Gen Dot - but not the spanking new one with digital clock.

Echo Show 5
Echo Dot 3rd Gen
Smart Plug

https://www.qvcuk.com/Amazon-Echo-Show-5-with-Echo-Dot-3-%26-Smart-Plug.product.519548.html?sc=SRCH

Also - this now makes me wonder if Amazon have a sale coming up when their new gear is actually released on Wednesday.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light<br />Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life<br />All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside<br />When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide