• Welcome to The National Midday Sun. Please login or sign up.
July 21, 2019, 17:56:48 pm

Echo Dot currently £35 on Amazon

Started by Slim, December 12, 2017, 18:29:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I have two. Love them. They make cracking Internet radios, and they'll tell you the weather, give you a news update, do simple maths, order stuff from Amazon for you and play records from online music services. You can use them to set an alarm or a timer. All by voice control

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DFKBL68/

They'll be back up to £50 soon.

The Dot has a small speaker built in which is fine as a bedside radio, but you can connect speakers (wired or bluetooth). I have one connected to a desktop amp with decent speakers, works very well.

Nick

You can use them to control a sonos system as well.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Slim

What I'd really like is if you could hook them up to Google Music - a bit much to expect really. But that's where all my online stuff is - more than 1200 albums.

Red Star

Quote from: Slim on December 12, 2017, 18:29:02 pm
They'll be back up to £50 soon.

Yep, they sure are - I have one already and it's great so thought I'd buy another for the bedroom. They were still £35 until after boxing day but looks like I've missed the boat for now. I thought that they would stay at £35 for a bit longer seeing as it's January. I'll wait until they do another promotion before buying it.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Slim

Today, if you have Amazon Prime, they can be had for £29.99.

Reg

Just bought a 3rd gen for £24.99. 2nd gens are available for £19.99.

Connected to my Panasonic soundbar and_sub using bluetooth.

The only annoying thing so far is that if I wanted to use Spotify with it, I would need to upgrade to a Spotify Premium account.

Apart from that, for the price I paid, it is quite a little technological bundle of joy.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Matt2112

Indie Lass asked for one for Chrimbo, but I saw a cracking Black Friday deal on those cylindrical Echo 2nd gen thingies, so I ordered one of those instead. :) Chrimbo presents should always have a surprise element anyway, imo.  ;D
The keys to happiness

Slim

Yep so the one I bought one year ago today (I've just noticed) at £34.99, down from £49.99 is now £19.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DFKBL68/

And apparently there's a newer model, as some above have alluded to, the "3rd Gen" and this is currently a rather reasonable £24.99. But not in stock until Dec 7th.

Not sure I like the fabric design though. Might get grubby over time. Looks like they're copying the Google Mini.

Just found an article describing the differences here:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/amazon-echo-dot-gen-2-vs-gen-3/

"the third-generation sounds significantly better than the second generation"

I suspect that's mostly due to the inbuilt speaker though and you can attach a decent compact speaker to an older Dot quite cheaply. Anyway I've ordered one all the same.

Reg

Just to say that you don't need to get them from Amazon - I got mine from Currys but they are the same price everywhere I looked - at least Argos and Tesco anyway.
Standing in the shadows, hiding from the light
Reach out in the darkness, and hold on for your life
All the fear of the future, all the emptiness inside
When the moment of truth arrives, hey, you can run but you can't hide

Slim

I bought a 3rd gen Dot, and set it up yesterday.

It's a little bigger and heavier than a 2nd gen Dot. The audio quality is indeed considerably better - much fuller / bassier sound - so no need to connect to an external speaker.

I'm not that keen on the fabric cover - might be a dust magnet.

Usefully, bluetooth performance seems to have improved on the 2nd gen, which was noticeably worse than my phone for connecting to a remote speaker and would often cut out. But I've only tried the 3rd gen for a few minutes with a remote speaker (handy for listening to 5 Live in the bath!)

Matt2112

December 05, 2018, 12:30:28 pm #10 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:43:44 pm by Matt2112
The Echo thingy I ordered was delivered so quickly it was in time for the lady's birthday, so that's what she got.

Yes, it clearly has its uses; yes, bearing witness to our 2-year-old asking Alexa to play a specific song is simultaneously a source of immense pride, heady amusement and vague discomfiture; yes, I can't shake the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that it's some kind of sinister Trojan Horse, the thin end of some dystopian, Orwellian wedge...  ::) ;) 
The keys to happiness