Author Topic: AFTK 40th Anniversary Release  (Read 4500 times)

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
Re: AFTK 40th Anniversary Release
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 22:03:34 PM »

Edit - I will probably buy Prog for old times' sake. Always hard to resist a Rush front cover  :)
But why the front cover of Prog?

Rush were HEAVY METAL!!!!!!
Legend in my own Mind

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 13:54:19 PM »
I had a quick flick through and decided for £7.99 it wasn't worth it.......

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 23:55:25 PM »

The album anniversary is obviously embraced by magazines like Prog who's aim is to continue to generate interest from old product. How many times have we seen that front cover shot ffs? I imagine the content within contains more images that have been used many times previously. I'm assuming the interviews contains something new but I wouldn't be too surprised if I'm wrong.

I take it all back. It really is quite interesting and I don't remember reading most of this elsewhere. There are also a few pics I've not seen.
Here's a transcription of the article from those lovely people over at cygnus-x1.net

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/prog-12.2017.php

Enjoy!

Not worth 8 quid though  ;)

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 15:40:43 PM »
I agree it's a scandalous price for a magazine. However I had a voucher at Tesco for £6 off if I spent £40 and Prog took me over the threshold  ;)

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 16:39:58 PM »
I agree it's a scandalous price for a magazine. However I had a voucher at Tesco for £6 off if I spent £40 and Prog took me over the threshold  ;)
Nice one  ;)

RAY4583

• TNMS Member
  • I love Rush!
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 01:49:09 AM »
So frustrating.  Such a lazy reissue.

They really need to appoint someone to research and sift through whatever they have in the archives and make these releases special for the fans.

Ummmm,....  With all due respect,...they *did* research/sift through the archives.   And, this fan thinks the box set is indeed special. 

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 19:17:26 PM »
Ray Danniels found ^^^^^^^^^^^

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 19:37:39 PM »
Ray Danniel$ found ^^^^^^^^^^^
Corrected...
Legend in my own Mind

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 20:24:09 PM »
   Ummmm,....  With all due respect,...they *did* research/sift through the archives.   And, this fan thinks the box set is indeed special.
They went through the archives and all they could find was a couple of unreleased bits from a show released officially in 1998? 

Chuck that I’m with some cheap pendant tat and some re-recorded songs by some nobodies that you’ll half listen to once...

Rubbish.

See the recent Metallica box sets for how to do it properly..

Love Rush but this is hardly a labour of love. 
Anger is a gift.

RAY4583

• TNMS Member
  • I love Rush!
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2017, 04:25:36 AM »
  Just a follow-up here. 
1)    When you claim that, “they” went through the archives, who, exactly do you claim “they” to be?
2)    You claim,  “…all they could find…”  was some unreleased material from the Hammersmith ’78 show.  How do you know that’s all that was found?  Perhaps more was indeed found, but, this is all that was chosen to have been worthy of use.
3)    Like the bands who recorded cover versions or not, they’re certainly, “somebodies”, and not, “nobodies”.  Just because you may not have heard of some of them, to call them, “nobodies” only shows ignorance.
4)    “Hardly a labour of love”?  Ummmm,…do you know exactly how long it took, from stem to stern, to finally have this box set see the light of day?  Labor?  Most definitely!  “Of love”?  Well,…there certainly must be a depth of admiration, enthusiasm, and passion, to devote almost a year-and-a-half (true labor!) to a project.  Seems to me like this beautiful, abundant, celebrated set was a true, “labor of love”, in the truest sense of each word.

Dods

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
  Just a follow-up here. 
1)    When you claim that, “they” went through the archives, who, exactly do you claim “they” to be?
2)    You claim,  “…all they could find…”  was some unreleased material from the Hammersmith ’78 show.  How do you know that’s all that was found?  Perhaps more was indeed found, but, this is all that was chosen to have been worthy of use.
3)    Like the bands who recorded cover versions or not, they’re certainly, “somebodies”, and not, “nobodies”.  Just because you may not have heard of some of them, to call them, “nobodies” only shows ignorance.
4)    “Hardly a labour of love”?  Ummmm,…do you know exactly how long it took, from stem to stern, to finally have this box set see the light of day?  Labor?  Most definitely!  “Of love”?  Well,…there certainly must be a depth of admiration, enthusiasm, and passion, to devote almost a year-and-a-half (true labor!) to a project.  Seems to me like this beautiful, abundant, celebrated set was a true, “labor of love”, in the truest sense of each word.

Don't post much nowadays but should get back into here. Friends, you will not be surprised that I totally agree with the above. There is a LOT to look forward in this release and I do believe that while there may be snippets in the vaults, perhaps not commercially viable or oh good enough quality. Also bear in mind, SRO/Anthem is NOT an independent company anymore so...personally I cannot wait for a 5.1 Hemispheres - sonic heaven :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:43:27 AM by Dods »

The Old Dog

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »

Don't post much nowadays but should get back into here. Friends, you will not be surprised that I totally agree with the above. There is a LOT to look forward in this release and I do believe that while there may be snippets in the vaults, perhaps not commercially viable or oh good enough quality. Also bear in mind, SRO/Anthem is NOT an independent company anymore so...personally I cannot wait for a 5.1 Hemispheres - sonic heaven :)

It really begs the question though Dods why not release the 5.1 as a standalone and not as part of an expensive box set ,which is pissing a lot of folk off so I've heard.I'm certainly not going for this as we already have the studio re release from 2015 in the vinyl format and I'm not altogether that fussed about a couple of extra tracks from a live recording that is available as a roio ,definitely don't want a reprint of the 1978 tour book nor the the tacky ring thing nor the slip mat for that matter.

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 13:37:34 PM »
Glad you’re enjoying it.

I’ll get it when it’s gets drastically reduced next year when they try to shift the masses of unsold units.  Picked up the 3 vinyl 2112 for a tenner a few weeks ago.  Bargain, that.
Anger is a gift.

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 21:25:59 PM »
I’ll get it when it’s gets drastically reduced next year when they try to shift the masses of unsold units.  Picked up the 3 vinyl 2112 for a tenner a few weeks ago.  Bargain, that.

That is indeed a bargain. Saw the AFTK box in HMV today.....£149. Ouch!

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 23:05:59 PM »
It really begs the question though Dods why not release the 5.1 as a standalone and not as part of an expensive box set ,which is pissing a lot of folk off so I've heard.I'm certainly not going for this as we already have the studio re release from 2015 in the vinyl format and I'm not altogether that fussed about a couple of extra tracks from a live recording that is available as a roio ,definitely don't want a reprint of the 1978 tour book nor the the tacky ring thing nor the slip mat for that matter.

Sums it up nicely for me....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%