Arsenal 2017 - 18

Started by döm, August 30, 2017, 10:27:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

April 22, 2018, 22:44:20 pm #30 Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 22:50:10 pm by Slim
I think so, probably mostly due to poor attendances at the Emirates of late. But supposedly he'll say more about it at the end of the season.

döm

If the club had been further along with its succession plans for Wenger last Summer I think he would have left afterthe FA Cup Win. He stayed on and a poor season coupled with succession plans firmly in place has led to his departure.

I think the early announcement was a nice touch by the club allowing Arsene to get the send off he deserves.

The Europa league would be a fantastic finale but the error prone defence seem certain to make things very easy for Atletico
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Slim

Opportunity missed so far, but I think Atletico will leak at least one in the second half.

döm

Awful defensive lapse completely negates a great team performance

Slim

Against ten men at home, that's poor.

DavidL

Quote from: zoony on April 21, 2018, 00:54:56 am
He has probably outstayed his welcome a bit over the last few seasons, but will rightly go down as one of the best that certainly Arsenal, and the top flite in England has ever had. His team's of the late 90s and early to mid 00s were awesome.
Some credit for his first years must go to George Graham, surely?

zoony

Quote from: DavidL on April 27, 2018, 16:02:10 pm
Some credit for his first years must go to George Graham, surely?

I wouldn't argue with that mate.

döm

Graham left the club playing turgid boring football. Yes he left behind a very solid backline that Wenger was able to build on. Wenger had to purge the club of the firmly entrenched drinking culture and it was his ideas and his recruitment that turned the club into PL winners.

Slim

And the season implodes; Arsene will be signing off on a Sunday afternoon in Huddersfield ten days from now.

DavidL

No 'happy ending' then. I'll miss the v-neck pullover and tie combo

Slim

I shall miss the bomb disposal style long coat.

döm

Quote from: Slim on May 04, 2018, 09:49:37 am
I shall miss the bomb disposal style long coat.

Well done for finding a photo where he'd managed to zip it up!

Disappointing end to his reign and the season, I do feel sorry for him even though it was all pretty predictable really.  We could really learn a thing or two from that Atletico defence.  Our defensive line was all over the place for their goal, something they would never do. 

zoony

Quote from: Slim on May 03, 2018, 22:58:50 pm
And the season implodes; Arsene will be signing off on a Sunday afternoon in Huddersfield ten days from now.

And it looks like that will be a massive game in the outcome of at least one of the relegation spots .

Slim

The way things have turned out, it looks like a dead rubber - Arsenal won't change places in the league whatever happens and Huddersfield are already safe.

There are scenarios in which Southampton go down instead of Swansea of course, but they aren't particularly likely. So the relegation places are all pretty much decided.

zoony

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2018, 13:52:45 pm
The way things have turned out, it looks like a dead rubber - Arsenal won't change places in the league whatever happens and Huddersfield are already safe.

There are scenarios in which Southampton go down instead of Swansea of course, but they aren't particularly likely. So the relegation places are all pretty much decided.

I could quite easily see Southampton losing by 5 goals to City, but I can't see Swansea winning by 5 goals. Hope I'm correct and Swansea do go down, as I despise Welsh clubs being in the English premier league, and "The other one" is back in it again next season.