Author Topic: Chelsea 2017/18 season  (Read 984 times)

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
Chelsea 2017/18 season
« on: August 12, 2017, 16:58:13 PM »
As much as I enjoyed this result I'm not going to gloat, we've all seen our own clubs have a bad day at the office. It was certainly one of those today for the defending champions...they were definitely the architects of their own downfall but huge credit to them for making a real game of it in the second half despite their one, then two man disadvantage. Theres no need to panic, this was a one off...but well done Burnley...absolutely fantastic performance and result!

Arsenal 4 Leicester 3
Watford 3 Liverpool 3
Chelsea 2 Burnley 3
Palace 0 Huddersfield 3

What an opening weekend advert for the Premier League!...and weve still got Brighton vs City, Newcastle vs Spurs and Man United vs West Ham to come.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 17:00:33 PM by Bisto »
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
Re: Chelsea 2017/18 season
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 19:41:14 PM »
A good advert for calamitous defending. Wouldn't be surprised to see Conte walk before Xmas.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 19:37:13 PM »
I thought he was sugning a new contract?

Although he'd be advised not to watch Matic's performance for United against West Ham today!  :-X 8)

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Red Star

• TNMS Member
  • For I have dined on Honeydew...
    • audit my debts
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 17:11:40 PM »
I really don't know what to make of my team this season. Clearly something is not right and the decision to sell Matic to our main rivals (against Conte's wishes I reckon) was ludicrous. I frequently despair at the way Chelsea football club is run - Conte is obviously disappointed in our pre season transfer business and we had a disastrous start losing at home to Burnley but then surprised me by winning away against Tottenham. Another stern test awaits on Sunday against Everton at The Bridge. Early days but Utd look like they could be the team to watch this season.
You shall call me pisshead the God of Pintage I shall be...

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 20:57:00 PM »
Rumours gathering pace of Vardy being sold to Chelsea.

If there's anything to it, and it comes off, that will very likely mean a juicy 7-figure sum for us.

Two big IFS though. :)
The keys to happiness

Red Star

• TNMS Member
    • audit my debts
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
I've not heard of the Vardy rumour but he signed a lengthy contract with Leicester shortly after winning the title didn't he? Of course contracts are meaningless these days are they not?

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »
A bit of a disastrous deadline day for the Blues, with Oxlade-Chamberlain choosing Liverpool over them for less salary as well if the stories are to be believed and Barclay reputed to have also turned them down at the last minute.

Danny Drinkwater seems to be a good choice though as a Matic replacement. Fabregas must be pissed off!
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Red Star

• TNMS Member
    • audit my debts
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
Its very strange Bez, Ross Barkley apparently changed his mind whilst he was on the medical couch at Cobham! It's clear that for some reason our first choice targets don't want to come to Chelsea - despite the fact that we are the most successful English team in the last 10 years. I don't think the Costa situation has helped, particularly the poor way this has been handled by Conte and maybe other players see Chelsea as an unsettled perhaps even volatile club and this is putting them off?

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Drinkwater signing and know very little about Zappacosta. Morata looks promising but is he any better than Costa?

Matt2112

• TNMS Member
  • RISE FROM THE ASHES
    • The Fringe
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
I've not heard of the Vardy rumour but he signed a lengthy contract with Leicester shortly after winning the title didn't he? Of course contracts are meaningless these days are they not?

Depends on the contract I suppose mate - should Vardy be sold on to a bigger club, we should do very nicely out if it (for the level we are at).  Unfortunately the speculation turned out to be only that: speculation.

Incidentally, and also disappointingly, no-one came in for (Millwall's) Lee Gregory either, another proven striker whose sale we could potentially benefit enormously. 

Ah well, there's always January.
The keys to happiness

Red Star

• TNMS Member
    • audit my debts
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
So Oxlade leaves a club that hasn't won the league for 13 years to go to a club that hasn't won it for 27 years😀

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 17:03:41 PM »
So Oxlade leaves a club that hasn't won the league for 13 years to go to a club that hasn't won it for 27 years😀

Got no time for the little shit mate, but to give him his due, he made his choice of move for footballing rather than financial reasons.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 23:26:22 PM »

But arguably more likely to win it than his former club....if Liverpool can keep building momentum under Klopp and sort their defence out they could be a dark horse for the title in the coming seasons.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 23:42:26 PM »
Its very strange Bez, Ross Barkley apparently changed his mind whilst he was on the medical couch at Cobham! It's clear that for some reason our first choice targets don't want to come to Chelsea - despite the fact that we are the most successful English team in the last 10 years. I don't think the Costa situation has helped, particularly the poor way this has been handled by Conte and maybe other players see Chelsea as an unsettled perhaps even volatile club and this is putting them off?

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Drinkwater signing and know very little about Zappacosta. Morata looks promising but is he any better than Costa?

Seems to be some debate around whether or not he had a medical....

Llorente is another to reject the chance to go to Chelsea and chose Spurs instead, which seems bizarre as they're hardly likely to play him ahead of Kane?
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 13:43:50 PM »
Unfortunate timing for that decisive defeat at Watford last night, just after Conte had asked for a vote of confidence from the club.

döm

• TNMS Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 14:10:11 PM »
Unfortunate timing for that decisive defeat at Watford last night, just after Conte had asked for a vote of confidence from the club.

he certainly didn't get one from the players !
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!