Author Topic: World Athletics Champs  (Read 1142 times)

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
World Athletics Champs
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
ANyone going to be following this?

Its hard to see much medal action for us beyond "sir Mo"
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
Re: World Athletics Champs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
Hope to catch it, especially the big events.... agree that we won't hear our Anthem much, apart from Mo

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »
Will probably catch some bits. Become a little disillusioned with Athletics recently - aside from Mo and Bolt who are both on the verge of retirement there are no real star performers and you keep wondering which ones are taking dodgy substances or trying to cheat the system..... :-\

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 16:25:44 PM »
of course there's cheating, the rewards are too great.... money yet again has killed the sport it seems

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 05:23:11 AM »
I'll probably have a peek now and again.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 23:03:51 PM »
Somalian drugs cheat (perhaps) wins the 10,000m
200% Grade A Seppe drugs cheat wins the 100m. So glad he was booed.
Legend in my own Mind

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 23:10:19 PM »
Justin Gatlin World Champion...nuf said

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
Justin Gatlin World Champion...nuf said

Mmmmm, mixed feelings about this and any other "formed" drugs cheat...David Milla(e)r the ex-cyclist is a prominent anti-drugs advocate after his "issues"

I'm not sure that being caught twice a cheat should be allowed to compete again...

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 20:24:56 PM »
Seems very odd to me that a 35 year old could be a World Champion 100m sprinter; 5 years older than Bolt who is now apparently past his best. I can't really doubt that he's clean now, though. Just seems very surprising.

Really dismayed with all the booing, it just seems like bullying to me. And amid all the commentary about his misdemeanours and his suitability to be taking part, I'd have liked to hear one commentator at least recognise his achievement and effort, despite the circumstances.

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »
Seems very odd to me that a 35 year old could be a World Champion 100m sprinter; 5 years older than Bolt who is now apparently past his best. I can't really doubt that he's clean now, though. Just seems very surprising.

Really dismayed with all the booing, it just seems like bullying to me. And amid all the commentary about his misdemeanours and his suitability to be taking part, I'd have liked to hear one commentator at least recognise his achievement and effort, despite the circumstances.

Bolt may be past his best, but I think that he's still good enough to compete at the highest level...I think he just can't be bothered any more!

On balance, I don't have an issue with the booing. maybe if the crowd were to boo every convicted drugs cheat at all events it might go some way towards driving them (cheats and drugs) out of sport...after all, Gatlin was convicted twice - he's brought it on himself!

zoony

• TNMS Member
  • Look out, Zoony's about!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 17:55:57 PM »
The answer seems simple to me. Get caught once, and you're banned for life. Oh, and I haven't bothered watching any of it.

Nïckslïkk2112

• TNMS Member
  • Dull by day, asleep at night.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 23:12:38 PM »

On balance, I don't have an issue with the booing. maybe if the crowd were to boo every convicted drugs cheat at all events it might go some way towards driving them (cheats and drugs) out of sport...after all, Gatlin was convicted twice - he's brought it on himself!
I have no problem with the booing, after all we do love a Pantomime villain.
Gatlin has shown no contrition or remorse, he just blames everybody but himself. A masseuse rubbed testosterone into his buttocks as an act of spite indeed!
I'd boo Alberto Contador if he came cycling past me :)
Legend in my own Mind

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
I have no problem with the booing, after all we do love a Pantomime villain.
Gatlin has shown no contrition or remorse, he just blames everybody but himself. A masseuse rubbed testosterone into his buttocks as an act of spite indeed!
I'd boo Alberto Contador if he came cycling past me :)

Where's the "like" button....?

Bez

• TNMS Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »
The answer seems simple to me. Get caught once, and you're banned for life. Oh, and I haven't bothered watching any of it.

Quite agree....

There was a tennis player in the news yesterday who got a 2 month ban because her mother had dropped a cancer pill on a worktop which had then been used to prepare pasta. The residue form the pill had contaminated the pasta and a banned substance ended up in the player's bloodstream....sound ridiculous to me....

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »

There was a tennis player in the news yesterday who got a 2 month ban because her mother had dropped a cancer pill on a worktop which had then been used to prepare pasta. The residue form the pill had contaminated the pasta and a banned substance ended up in the player's bloodstream....sound ridiculous to me....

Indeed - it's up there with "the dog ate my homework" line we all used as kids at school.

Crowd booing is fine - they paid their money to sit there and are entitled to clap, cheer and boo as appropriate - Gatlin is a 2 times drug cheat that shouldn't be allowed to compete. Michael Johnson was actually trying to defend him - really not sure why, just sticking up for his fellow Countryman I guess  :-\