Author Topic: Grenfell Tower Fire....  (Read 2849 times)

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
Re: Grenfell Tower Fire....
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
The tabloids encouraged by comments and soundbites those who govern us have been belittling H&S for a number of years now - red tape and bureuacracy etc.... major rethink required maybe?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-i-will-kill-off-safety-culture-6285238.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-safety-standards-workers-rights-jacob-rees-mogg-a7459336.html

Thailand Express

• TNMS Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
Just seen this time lapse collection of photos illustrating how the fire spread around the outside of the building  :-\

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
those poor folk, what a way  to go

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 23:55:28 PM »
pot kettle black

Sorry, that's a ridiculous comment.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
Sorry, that's a ridiculous comment.
I guess the inference was that you are an 'upper-class warrior' because of your political allegiance - as you say, ridiculous.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
I'm a lower middle-class boy from a deadbeat North-Eastern coastal town.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 18:17:22 PM »
So The C of E  claims that the cladding used at Grenfell was illegal in the UK for high rise buildings?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grenfell-tower-flammable-cladding-banned-in-uk-philip-hammond-germany-us-a7795696.html

Found this too,

Nail. Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cft52h89roU

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 22:14:47 PM »
Just another example of any excuse to bash the government on the backs of dead people, I'm afraid. This is the way the left operates now - using social media for black, demonising propaganda. As cynical and ruthless as they are backward and ignorant.

Just had a look through the comments under the Pie video, clearly a lot of people are being taken in unfortunately. There's one describing the current government as "tyrants", another one blaming Boris for cuts to the fire service. A generation of stupid naive kids, easy fodder for the left's propagandists.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 23:05:12 PM »
Johnson did close a number of a fire stations and numbers of staff during his tenure as London Mayor I think?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3811359/boris-johnson-slammed-over-footage-of-him-shooting-down-labour-rival-who-quizzed-him-on-fire-service-cuts/

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Yes he did, because the number of fires that the fire service was attending went down by 50% in his time as mayor. Sadiq Khan (who I must say has conducted himself with a lot more dignity than the leadership of his party or many of their supporters in this) conducted a review of the London fire safety plan after taking over, and has made no effort to increase the numbers of staff, or fire stations.

Bisto

• TNMS Member
  • Meh!
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
In my view, building regs are not open to interpretation. If it is not suitable for high rise buildings the local authority should not have approved its use here an/or not signed the job off. Again, not the fault of the landlord/owner. It is the local authority planning department's responsibility to ensure planned building work complies with current building regulations, surely?
The real scandal here is that government did not ensure building regs were amended and did not enforce retro-fitting of sprinklers.
Their (possible) ignorance would be no excuse but surely they would have been aware given the responsibilties they hold to ensure public safety?I doubt that those responsible for making the decision would wittingly place themselves in such a potentially vulnerable position as to be tried for manslaughter....Which begs the question; what are the building regs?
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Slim

• TNMS Member
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 23:06:12 PM »
I don't know Sam Baxter, but happened upon this episodic tweet earlier which echoes my concern about social media in the wake of incidents like this. Those who use it to spread misinformation are not only exploiting people for political gain, but fuelling hate. Someone was beaten and injured by the "protesters" on Friday because they believed he was a Conservative councillor.

Lies translate to Labour votes, and Labour's hard left is cynical and despicable enough to capitalise on that. At the very least this calculated dishonest propaganda is very divisive.

Nick

• TNMS Member
  • You lookin' at me?
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 22:43:46 PM »
Eerily reflecting the future. House of cards.  https://vimeo.com/222034879
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 07:37:31 AM »
I don't understand how the landlord/owner can be held responsible (re:cladding) if the material has been approved for such use and installed according to manufacturer's instructions. I wouldn't expect the owner/landlord to have a greater insight into the risk  of using this material than the manufacturer and/or the BBA.

There are several people with a duty of care here.

First of all there is a single Responsible Person as per the fire risk assessment.

The landlord has the duty under RR(FS)2005 to make sure that the fire alarms ring, mag-lock fire doors swing shut, smoke venting operates and the emergency lights work.

The Designer under CDM2015 has the duty to design out any risks.

The Principal Contractor under CDM2015 has a duty not to use dangerous materials in building projects,

Moving Target

• TNMS Member
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
Just another example of any excuse to bash the government on the backs of dead people, I'm afraid. This is the way the left operates now - using social media for black, demonising propaganda. As cynical and ruthless as they are backward and ignorant.

Just had a look through the comments under the Pie video, clearly a lot of people are being taken in unfortunately. There's one describing the current government as "tyrants", another one blaming Boris for cuts to the fire service. A generation of stupid naive kids, easy fodder for the left's propagandists.

I nearly responded at length to Pie's video which I found irresponsible and wrong. I didn't because there's no reasoning with an angry mob, and everyone is suddenly a fire safety expert......

The government is not responsible for this fire.

It is responsible for making sure there is money to pay for an effective fire service. There have been extensive lay-offs since 2010  and response times are up across the capital. In my old job I attended a public meeting with the LFB Commissioner. He gave the impression of being a very tough and capable guy forced to work with less and less.

The council is responsible for having an effective disaster recovery plan.