Author Topic: Manchester  (Read 2346 times)

pdw1

• TNMS Member
Re: Manchester
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 18:02:53 PM »
It's been really heartwarming to read of how people have quickly reacted in the wake of this atrocity.  It's just heartbreaking.  As a Dad and a regular concert goer this really does break my heart.  Will never forget those that died here and will be paying my respects properly when I'm next in Manchester.
Exactly my thoughts.

We cant let these bastards win. I will be at The O2 on Sunday for Iron Maiden
Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Analog RH

• TNMS Administrator
  • TNMS Member
  • Hail Satan!
    • andrewfield.net
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 21:13:59 PM »
Well, as a resident of Manchester its been a rollercoaster 24 hours.
I was at home last night, but went into Manchester in the early hours of the morning to help with the Salvation Army effort.
I was in town again today, with work, and the outpouring of community and caring and tolerance and mutual understanding as I walked around Albert Square and Piccadilly Gardens was heartening.

As with any city, there are some complete c***s living in Manchester. But they are far, far outnumbered by decent people who are at their best in a crisis. Today the city in which I live showed its true colours.

I'm proud to call Manchester my home. It, and we, will prevail.

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 22:29:56 PM »
Wife very nervous about me going to Glasgow this weekend for a couple of gigs - not just safety concerns - I'm called Hassan and i'm going to both gigs on my own....

On 5 Live earlier I was encouraged by an interview with a young Muslim woman who'd gone to Albert Square to show support and empathy, and had been shown love and respect by the people there. But I'd be nervous as well to be honest and I don't blame you. The basically good and generous outnumber the mean-spirited and hateful, but there are still plenty of people in that latter category.

I have a colleague at work from Leicester who's a full-on beard and Muslim dress sort of guy. Never broached the subject with him but I wonder how he feels at times like these.

NeilP

• TNMS Member
  • here comes the sun....
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 00:20:32 AM »
The city of Manchester and the folk who gave both their time and charitable work to the victims and their families have really got to me today, it is the most amazing city with great people.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 22:45:06 PM by NeilP »

Blastzone

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Another Jack Daniels please
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 22:14:45 PM »
Got two tickets for Kiss in Glasgow this weekend and was taking my youngest son .He now us refusing to go through fear of what might/could happen . these feckers have gotten into his head and I can't persuade him otherwise .
Mon the Jambos

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
Sorry to hear that Gordon.  I can understand the fear though.

Just got word that a young couple who were amongst those that were murdered were friends of the Daughter of my best mate from school. 

In a weird way, the couple of concerts that I'm attending this weekend cannot come quick enough. 
Anger is a gift.

Thenop

• TNMS Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
Very sorry to hear that indeed.
I went to see Kiss last night here in Rotterdam, security measures were very very tight. 3 checkpoints: 1st check the entrance whether you have the ticket, then an officer padding you down. And then, before going into the actual arena, a manual search by metal detector.  I bet you no one could even bring a roll of Mentos, it was that tight.
Kiss was very thoughtful as well, it's not easy getting 10,000 Kissfans quiet, but they did after the 2nd song, honoring the victims and it was impressive.
Outside the venue police were on full alert as well.  Everything went  well.

It sounds odd, but at times like these, people (well the normal ones anyway) come together and bond or something… Very good atmosphere throughout the night.

Oh, and Kiss was awesome, of course...
Arrogance Is Bliss

The Letter R

• TNMS Management
  • TNMS Member
  • If you want something done right...just forget it.
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
Got two tickets for Kiss in Glasgow this weekend and was taking my youngest son .He now us refusing to go through fear of what might/could happen . these feckers have gotten into his head and I can't persuade him otherwise .

Hopefully come the weekend after a few more days have passed he may come around Gordon. Can understand the fear especially for the youngsters - I can remember similar fears in London in the 70's during my Childhood. In reality the actual chance of getting caught up in anything like this is very small - easy to say but harder to understand especially with it being played up by the media 24/7 - not saying it shouldn't be reported but I think it gets to saturation point and they keep repeating the same things over and over and people end up thinking they will be next.

I am off to see Maiden at the 02 Saturday - slightly more on edge and wary than usual but determined to have a good time. Hope you both do too at Kiss.

captainkurtz

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • blah, blah, blah, whatever.
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »

It sounds odd, but at times like these, people (well the normal ones anyway) come together and bond or something… Very good atmosphere throughout the night.

This is what I meant to say.  Glad you enjoyed the show..
Anger is a gift.

Blastzone

• Basement
  • TNMS Member
  • Another Jack Daniels please
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 20:03:24 PM »
So sorry to hear that Hass..unimaginable to lose a youngster .Very sad 😖...Hass/Keith..wise words lads...he will come around as he loves various types of music and is a regular gig goer ,maybe if the gig was in a fortnight or so he might have felt better about things . He will get back out there ,he loves it too much not too but just as Keith touched on ,it is full on media stuff at the moment and it bothered him .
S
Mon the Jambos

Slim

• TNMS Member
  • catch the taxi driver weeping like a wounded beast
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 21:24:33 PM »
To be honest I think the media can overfeed on these things. Of course it's massive news but today for example 5 Live had an interview with someone who'd lost a relative during the 7/7 bombing, just to squeeze a bit more juice out of it. And some of the interviews with affected people that I've heard on that station seemed really intrusive to me, voyeuristic even. People in tears being asked to describe their feelings to an audience of a few hundred thousand people.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:31 AM »
Usual bollocks about terrorists not winning, communities standing together, normal life carrying on. Chelsea Premiership victory parade cancelled, MUFC Europa League victory cancelled. We are on our knees and ISIS are laughing at us.
Members of the mosques that the bomber worshipped at saw signs of radicalisation, his family were anti-Gaddafi insurgents with possible IS links that secured asylum in the UK. Known to the authorities but allowed to destroy innocent lives.
God help us.

DavidL

• TNMS Member
  • Music by Lee and Lifeson, Lyrics by Peart
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 07:15:37 AM »
So, it seems Corbyn would have UK foreign policy dictated by these nut jobs.

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
So, it seems Corbyn would have UK foreign policy dictated by these nut jobs.

Do you have to turn every post into some kind of political opinion piece?
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

Bez

• TNMS Member
  • Yes, I DO look like my bloody avatar...
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that Gordon.  I can understand the fear though.

Just got word that a young couple who were amongst those that were murdered were friends of the Daughter of my best mate from school. 

In a weird way, the couple of concerts that I'm attending this weekend cannot come quick enough.

Sorry to read that, mate....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%