Personal R40

Started by Slim, January 10, 2017, 21:19:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thailand Express

Quote from: Pug on June 14, 2017, 22:18:27 pm
20 years tonight since I was at my 2nd Rush gig. Went over to the US. Made the roadtrip with a bunch of mates from Minneapolis to Chicago to see them at the New World Ampitheatre. Highlight was easily hearing 2112 in it's entirety.

Similar to the lads and me then. We went to Holmdel NJ, Great Woods and Jones Beach. 20 years ago next week.
So glad we made the trip. Their first "evening with" shows so the range of material was tremendous. It was great hearing old songs played completely and not cobbled together into medleys. They were absolutely blazing live too, in spite of T4E being a bit of a lumbering album.  And we all has no idea what a terrible time for the band was just around the corner...

Slim

Quote from: The Letter R on June 13, 2017, 09:33:53 am
And only 11 years since England had won the World Cup  ;D

Yes.. and 7 years since we'd played in one. Another 5 before we would again.

The Letter R

Quote from: Thailand Express on June 15, 2017, 17:15:21 pm

Similar to the lads and me then. We went to Holmdel NJ, Great Woods and Jones Beach. 20 years ago next week.
So glad we made the trip. Their first "evening with" shows so the range of material was tremendous. It was great hearing old songs played completely and not cobbled together into medleys. They were absolutely blazing live too, in spite of T4E being a bit of a lumbering album.  And we all has no idea what a terrible time for the band was just around the corner...

Blimey - yes 1997 - my first visit to Toronto - saw them both nights at the Molson Ampitheater and then drove to Ottawa for the last show of the tour. Made some great friends out there. Also met up with Mick Burnett ( Spirit of Rush Fanzine ) and a certain Andrew Field sometimes of this Parish and Tom Cornell ( Mad Jock ). Remember spending Canada Day - July 1st in The Orbit Bar and someone playing Subdivisions on the keyboard in there - great night and fantastic trip - 20 years ago.......wow!!
Sad that 2 of the people that I met up with have since died - Mick and Keith Kitchener a guy from N. Carolina......and of course it was just after that tour that tragedy struck for NP too - for a while the dates I saw seemed to be their last, thankfully that wasn't the case though.

Japes

Late to the party but June 4th was my R40 - my first exposure to Rush was hearing Working Man from ATWAS on a tinny cassette player in the school playground late in 1976 and I was frankly blown away by that riff!!   Like Slim I sought out my own copy of the record in a second record shop in Shepherds Bush and played the thing to death - my version has sides 1 and 4 on one record with 2 and 3 on the other: something to do with being able to stack them on record players at the time!   Anyway when the tour was announced I snapped up my ticket and on June 4th was there at the Hammersmith Odeon!   I'd like to say that I can remember the show clearly but in truth I can only recall the start of the show with Lee and Lifeson springing onstage playing Bastille Day along with the mini moog being set up ahead of the 'new' song Xanadu.  I have a vague recollection of Lee mentioning the Queens Silver Jubilee as well...weird thing to remember!!

Thailand Express

Quote from: The Letter R on June 21, 2017, 09:22:27 am

Blimey - yes 1997 - my first visit to Toronto - saw them both nights at the Molson Ampitheater and then drove to Ottawa for the last show of the tour. Made some great friends out there. Also met up with Mick Burnett ( Spirit of Rush Fanzine ) and a certain Andrew Field sometimes of this Parish and Tom Cornell ( Mad Jock ). Remember spending Canada Day - July 1st in The Orbit Bar and someone playing Subdivisions on the keyboard in there - great night and fantastic trip - 20 years ago.......wow!!

Happy days indeed. Thinking back the total cost of tickets for the 3 shows was under $100. The world before Ticketmaster ruled the roost.

The Spirit of Rush! How good was it when that popped through the door? Safe to say without the guidance of that mag I'd never have attempted that Transatlantic jaunt.

The Letter R

Quote from: Thailand Express on June 22, 2017, 20:58:27 pm

Happy days indeed. Thinking back the total cost of tickets for the 3 shows was under $100. The world before Ticketmaster ruled the roost.

The Spirit of Rush! How good was it when that popped through the door? Safe to say without the guidance of that mag I'd never have attempted that Transatlantic jaunt.

Indeed!!  8)