Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidL

Quote from: Chris Quartly on January 14, 2020, 17:41:46 pmI'm trying to understand the mindset that "leaving" at the end of the month is the end goal vs actually needing to do the hard work which is to make a deal by the end of the year, which is far more important.
If I were being crass, I would proffer that that particular mindset is that of ..a winner. ;)

DavidL

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 14, 2020, 18:13:29 pmhttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/12/remainers-arent-going-to-vanish-on-31-january-we-fight-on-sure-of-our-cause

found it.
"But from 2021, Conservative refusal to accept the economic reality that Britain can only protect its dense European supply networks by agreeing to continue to implement EU regulations in every sector will mean frozen new investment and escalating closures. Especially in its crucial auto, aerospace, drugs, chemical, food and drink industries. Expect the Japanese carmakers to pull out first, as will Airbus - more will follow"

Well, we can forgive Will that inaccurate assessment, afterall it was written a long time ago.....last Sunday in fact ;D ;D

A hypothetical: Would those Guardian readers with whom this atricle finds resonance, still campaign to rejoin the EU if leaving results in improvements in their own lives? My guess is...yes ;D

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 14, 2020, 15:03:42 pmbloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-10/brexit-bulletin-eu-exit-has-already-cost-britain-170-billion

Go and bong on that.
It's could haves and possibilities. Never believe an economist - even if, especially if he supports your views.

The only way to truly measure it is to have a separate earth in which there has been no Brexit referendum.
I hate to be the voice of reason - really, I do - but it has to be said.
Legend in my own Mind<br /><br />

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering
Not enough natural selection

DavidL

rufus the dawg

Quote from: DavidL on January 14, 2020, 19:22:07 pmIf I were being crass, I would proffer that that particular mindset is that of ..a winner. ;)
but what have you won?
Bond, Rufus, Dash and Blaize.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on January 14, 2020, 20:26:22 pmIt's could haves and possibilities. Never believe an economist - even if, especially if he supports your views.

The only way to truly measure it is to have a separate earth in which there has been no Brexit referendum.
I hate to be the voice of reason - really, I do - but it has to be said.
As we know the pound went down after the referendum, £70 billion of quantitative easing, thousands of unelected bureaucrats employed by UKplC, Honda moving out etc all have cost that can put in to an economic model and costed.

So not sure you are correct.

Why don't you come up with a report showing the UK is better of by X amount because of the referendum result.

rufus the dawg

Nick

If you run a business in France the amount of countries you can do frictionless trade with is about to go down from 31 to 30.

In the UK it will go down from 31 to 0.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on January 15, 2020, 10:23:42 amAs we know the pound went down after the referendum, £70 billion of quantitative easing, thousands of unelected bureaucrats employed by UKplC, Honda moving out etc all have cost that can put in to an economic model and costed.

So not sure you are correct.

The pound fluctuates anyway and is now on the way back up. Anyone mention that?
What about all the  ECB QE, that has nothing to do with Brexit.
Was Honda due to Brexit?
Put in an ecomomic model. Right, the word there is model. Not reality. I used to work at a firm where our forecasting model showed we were a going concern to the auditors. Guess what, we weren't!

Quote from: undefinedWhy don't you come up with a report showing the UK is better of by X amount because of the referendum result.
I can't. Nobody can. Without running an alternative reality - but we can't. I can model it all I like, but models aren't reality.

Remember back in the 70s when climate modelling was predicting an upcoming Ice Age. Where's that when we need it?

Trust nobody. Believe in nobody. Live for yourself there's no one else more worth living for.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Nick on January 15, 2020, 12:18:20 pmIf you run a business in France the amount of countries you can do frictionless trade with is about to go down from 31 to 30.

And if you run a business in France you have an idle, feckless, garlic-breathed, virtually unsackable workforce.
But if your business looks like going under, then the French government will contravene all known EU laws to bung you illegal subsidies. Hey, it's for the greater glory of France, right?

As a disclaimer, I have only worked for one French owned company, well two, but one was divested from the other.

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Nick

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on January 15, 2020, 12:50:02 pmBut if your business looks like going under, then the French government will contravene all known EU laws to bung you illegal subsidies.
Flybe -Cough.
Everybody's got to evalate from the norm.

DavidL

January 15, 2020, 14:37:28 pm #3866 Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 14:40:15 pm by DavidL
Quote from: Nick on January 15, 2020, 13:22:26 pmFlybe -Cough.
Far-right, free-marketeer PM in airline-sector state-aid shock! ;D
Better get the EU to snuff that out pronto! Wiilie Walsh has already posted his letter to Brussels! Hee,hee!

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on January 15, 2020, 12:50:02 pmAnd if you run a business in France you have an idle, feckless, garlic-breathed, virtually unsackable workforce.
But if your business looks like going under, then the French government will contravene all known EU laws to bung you illegal subsidies. Hey, it's for the greater glory of France, right?

As a disclaimer, I have only worked for one French owned company, well two, but one was divested from the other.
feckin hell Nick I know (hope )you are joking as I'm sure you know as well as I do that the French workforce is more productive than that in the UK.
When the truth offends we lie and lie until we can longer remember it is even there. But it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is repaid

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: döm on January 15, 2020, 16:23:39 pmfeckin hell Nick I know (hope )you are joking as I'm sure you know as well as I do that the French workforce is more productive than that in the UK.
Nobody asked for my opinion on the UK workforce - and I don't have enough time. Although, based on my scant evidence of form filling for the French, they'll make anything up...

Then again, I remember the forms we used to have to fill in our results for our foreign masters were in French. Using our schoolboy French we filled them in. Upon receiving English translations we found we weren't doing things right, so we filled them in correctly. Our French masters sent them back, we had to keep filling them in as we had been doing, no changes allowed from how things has first been done. Ho-hum.

Having filled in reports for the ONS here is one of the reasons I always take their official pronouncements with a huge grain of sel

Not enough war
Not enough famine
Not enough suffering

Slim

I've written a small poem that I hope will capture the spirit of Brexit, for our special day at the end of the month.

Peal loud, sweet bells of freedom
Ring out throughout our land
For the hour of our liberty;
Independence is at hand.

Make haste now, pretty housewife!
Get the bubbly, don't be late!
For your husband voted wisely,
And he'll want to celebrate.

Stand tall, handsome leave voter
Though remainers may be sad;
One day they will apologise
When they realise they were had.

Take heart now, sad remoaner:
Though we disregard your drivel,
You can always move to Luxembourg,
Upon your knees to snivel.

Thank-you, Mrs Widdecombe
Thank-you, Arron Banks
Mr Gove, Mr Rees Mogg ..
Thanks, thanks .. thanks!

And thank-you Mr Farage,
For it's mostly down to you,
That our borders shall be ours again
And our passports shall be blue.

We've cast away our shackles,
All praise to you and Boris
Break out the frothy cider,
We'll dance the merry Morris.

Thank-you for our liberty,
Thank-you for this day.
For Britain now is free again.
Foreigners - make way.
Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.