Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 18:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

döm

Bercow's job is to ensure that Parliament is not screwed over by the Government.  He carried out his task excellently.

MPs are appointed to represent the people and act in the people's best interest which does not necessarily mean carry out their every whim and will . The vast majority who voted against Boris Johnson, did so as they believed they were acting in the best interests of their constituents.  Essentially they are convinced, as are many millions outside parliament, that Brexit  (in particular Brexit without a deal) goes against the national interest.

You may agree or disagree with that but it  cannot be considered an act of disloyalty or treason.  In particular the 21 Tories who knew they were very likely to end their careers should be commended for voting based on their conscience and on considered opinion rather than just toeing the party line and preserving their jobs as a result.
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

döm

Quote from: DavidL on September 10, 2019, 14:14:21 pmhttp://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2019/09/wargaming-remain.html
Interesting article.  The bottom line I took from it is that having a referendum has caused a wound so deep that who knows how long it will take to recover from.

Bez

Quote from: döm on September 10, 2019, 15:10:17 pmInteresting article.  The bottom line I took from it is that having a referendum has caused a wound so deep that who knows how long it will take to recover from.
I had a chuckle this AM while listening to the Today programme where Barry Gardiner was saying that it now doesn't matter if we're in or out, the most important thing is to "heal" the country....try telling that to your local constituency, you twat...
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on September 09, 2019, 23:49:33 pmHis maiden speech in the Commons was about Human Rights. Yet his final act there is intended to force private individuals to publish private messages for the advantage of a cabal of MPs who wish to deny millions of ordinary people their say in who governs them.

I don't know whether our PM will be able to overcome these bastards but his uncompromising resolve has done one thing - it has flushed them out for what they are.
ERG and the liar Boris Johnson Voted against TM deal.

rufus the dawg

Quote from: DavidL on September 10, 2019, 00:04:24 amIt's sounding more and more like Boris is going to throw the DUP under the bus.
Yeah I agree but there will be a bridge!

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: rufus the dawg on September 10, 2019, 22:08:41 pmERG and the liar Boris Johnson Voted against TM deal.
As did Labour, who want to resurrect it. 

Hypocrite much?
Legend in my own Mind

Bez

Labour now saying that they won't put "no Brexit" in their manifesto...Wtf? They either want to stay or they don't....

This would mean the Lib Dems would be the only "mainstream" party (ignoring the Greens) in England advocating a "no Brexit" option in the election....
RC1.1 abd g/n 11/0/bcd/tG PeW/- ~600 x 0 61%

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 10, 2019, 22:51:22 pmAs did Labour, who want to resurrect it.

Hypocrite much?
Yes I know but slim was singling out CONservatives who voted against it, but somehow always forgets the ERG

rufus the dawg

Quote from: Slim on September 10, 2019, 14:05:29 pmIt is this parliament that, with absolutely no mandate whatever - 

Vote leave told so many lies during the referendum and you talk so high handed about electoral mandate. Vote leave have no mandate to leave the EU. Guess what remain lied also and they were CONservatives 

Turkey joining - Lie
EU army- Lie
£350 million a week to the NHS -  Lie
Simplest trade deal in the World - Lie
Bendy Bananas - Lie
Remove Vat on energy Bill - Lie
Stay in the single market - Lie
Etc
Etc
I could go on and on and on.

Vote leave and their right wing rich friends are the only people mounting a coup in this country.

rufus the dawg

Matt2112

September 11, 2019, 16:11:31 pm #3415 Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 16:17:40 pm by Matt2112
Quote from: döm on September 10, 2019, 15:08:13 pmBercow's job is to ensure that Parliament is not screwed over by the Government.  He carried out his task excellently.

MPs are appointed to represent the people and act in the people's best interest which does not necessarily mean carry out their every whim and will . The vast majority who voted against Boris Johnson, did so as they believed they were acting in the best interests of their constituents.  Essentially they are convinced, as are many millions outside parliament, that Brexit  (in particular Brexit without a deal) goes against the national interest.

Maybe it does.  Many disagree.  So it got put to a vote.  The position of those who disagree prevailed.  Those whose position was on the losing side of the vote can stamp their feet at their leisure - I will not be one of them.  I really don't get this sense of entitlement to go through the process again.

Currently it strikes me that many remainers are simultaneously demanding a right to vote twice while denying leavers' right to vote once - and protesting about a lack of democracy to boot!   

It's not a good look, guys.
The keys to happiness

döm

Quote from: Matt2112 on September 11, 2019, 16:11:31 pmMaybe it does.  Many disagree.  So it got put to a vote.  The position of those who disagree prevailed.  Those whose position was on the losing side of the vote can stamp their feet at their leisure - I will not be one of them.  I really don't get this sense of entitlement to go through the process again.

Currently it strikes me that many remainers are simultaneously demanding a right to vote twice while denying leavers' right to vote once - and protesting about a lack of democracy to boot! 

The timing of the election was designed solely to get a no deal brexit through without scrutiny. Just like the illegal prorogation.

It might not look good but it's been done for good reasons.

Bisto

September 11, 2019, 21:53:24 pm #3417 Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:58:18 am by Bisto
Quote from: Matt2112 on September 11, 2019, 16:11:31 pmMaybe it does.  Many disagree.  So it got put to a vote.  The position of those who disagree prevailed.  Those whose position was on the losing side of the vote can stamp their feet at their leisure - I will not be one of them.  I really don't get this sense of entitlement to go through the process again.

I don't have the figures but I'm sure their were some Brexiters amongst the 21 Tory MPs, and others, like yourself Matt, who voted Remain but accepted the majority public vote to leave the EU but, as Dom said, this is more about the Government (i.e. Boris) trying to force through Brexit without the possibility of securing a deal...and now the Scottish Courts have ruled that the Government misled the Queen in order to gain her consent to Prorogue Parliament.
No good deed goes unpunished!

No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.

Nïckslïkk2112

Quote from: Bisto on September 11, 2019, 21:53:24 pmbut, as Dom said, this is more about the Government (i.e. Boris) trying to force through Brexit without the possibility of securing a deal...
Supposition.
Quote from: undefined.and now the Scottish Courts have ruled that the Government mislead the Queen in order to gain her consent to Prorogue Parliament.
Legal interpretation.

No FACTS here, move along please.

Do the remainers really know what the EU is and what its end game is? Do you? Don't forget it all arose from a 1950s Quango and is still based in what its 1950s founders wanted.

I don't agree with what the remainiac MPs are doing, but at least they are able to do it. Would the MEPs we elect to the EU Parliament be able to indulge in similar manner? Answers on a very small post card...
Legend in my own Mind

döm

Quote from: Nïckslïkk2112 on September 11, 2019, 22:52:13 pmSupposition.Legal interpretation.

No FACTS here, move along please.

Do the remainers really know what the EU is and what its end game is? Do you? Don't forget it all arose from a 1950s Quango and is still based in what its 1950s founders wanted.

I don't agree with what the remainiac MPs are doing, but at least they are able to do it. Would the MEPs we elect to the EU Parliament be able to indulge in similar manner? Answers on a very small post card...
The EU could never nor will ever replace the lunacy we've seen in British politics recently!