Brexit watch

Started by Nick, October 20, 2016, 17:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moving Target

Quote from: Slim on August 02, 2017, 23:13:52 pm
There is no "hard Brexit", there is leaving the EU, and various degrees of staying in it against the wishes of the United Kingdom.

Yeah, a lot of Quitters say that. I don't think it will happen. As more jobs and more pensions are threatened, more people will change their minds. In any event, the older people who voted Leave are dying off. At some point the consensus will change.

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on August 03, 2017, 06:55:47 am

Yeah, a lot of Quitters say that. I don't think it will happen. As more jobs and more pensions are threatened, more people will change their minds. In any event, the older people who voted Leave are dying off. At some point the consensus will change.
A lot of Remoaners say that. As the true nature of the EU is revealed by their ridiculous approach to negotiations, ,the certain collapse of the absurd single currency and the EU's failure to prevent mass immigration a lot of Remainers are realising that the best thing for the UK is to leave.

NeilP

Perhaps Vernon Bogdanor knows a little more on the subject matter than you David, just a thought?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Bogdanor

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on August 03, 2017, 08:34:04 am
A lot of Remoaners say that. As the true nature of the EU is revealed by their ridiculous approach to negotiations, ,the certain collapse of the absurd single currency and the EU's failure to prevent mass immigration a lot of Remainers are realising that the best thing for the UK is to leave.

I think the EU's position is quite reasonable. We can't have single market access without accepting the four freedoms.

We're not in the Euro.

As we are not in Schengen either, so we are insulated from the migrant wave that we helped create, but a lot of Brextremists don't know what Schengen is.

DavidL

Quote from: NeilP on August 04, 2017, 07:09:07 am
Perhaps Vernon Bogdanor knows a little more on the subject matter than you David, just a thought?
He probably knows as much as David Cameron, George Osborne, Mark Carney, Christine Lagarde etc. I know they're all pissed that we voted to leave the EU  ;D

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on August 04, 2017, 07:20:10 am
He probably knows as much as David Cameron, George Osborne, Mark Carney, Christine Lagarde etc. I know they're all pissed that we voted to leave the EU  ;D

Are you a Septic? They are "pissed off"!

DavidL

August 04, 2017, 11:17:11 am #1238 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:19:12 am by DavidL
Quote from: Moving Target on August 04, 2017, 07:46:38 am

Are you a Septic? They are "pissed off"!
Tomato/tomato
'Embittered' is probably a better decription in this particular context.

Slim

Quote from: NeilP on August 04, 2017, 07:09:07 am

Just exercising his liberal tendency to selective illiberalism, nonetheless.

DavidL

Quote from: Moving Target on August 04, 2017, 07:18:50 am

I think the EU's position is quite reasonable. We can't have single market access without accepting the four freedoms.

The EU has just struck, what is hailed as, a great trading agreement with Canada. I don't believe free movement is part of it.

We're not in the Euro.

That is so but remaining in the EU would require us to contribute to financial assistance should one member fail to meet its loan obligations (see Greece....and soon Italy)

As we are not in Schengen either, so we are insulated from the migrant wave that we helped create, but a lot of Brextremists don't know what Schengen is.
Although not in Schengen, its failure has negative impacts on the UK. An example being the freedom with which migrants can cross the continent and mass at Calais causing chaos  and danger for anyone using the port, especially UK hauliers.

The EU can't be reasonable, they need to discourage other members from leaving.

Moving Target

Quote from: DavidL on August 04, 2017, 13:49:28 pm
The EU has just struck, what is hailed as, a great trading agreement with Canada. I don't believe free movement is part of it.
That is so but remaining in the EU would require us to contribute to financial assistance should one member fail to meet its loan obligations (see Greece....and soon Italy)
Although not in Schengen, its failure has negative impacts on the UK. An example being the freedom with which migrants can cross the continent and mass at Calais causing chaos  and danger for anyone using the port, especially UK hauliers.

The EU can't be reasonable, they need to discourage other members from leaving.

Well, the Canada deal doesn't have free movement because Canada is not in the EU to begin with. As you say, the EU has to deter other potential quitters else the whole lot will unravel (maybe a good thing if we all go back to the EEC and forget federalism). That deal took seven years so even if it is on the table, which it will never be, we will have to join EFTA until 2024 to avoid recession.

British truckers will still be at risk whether we are in the EU or not as English-speaking refugees will still want to come here.  When we leave, I doubt France will bother to maintain the Calais camp and there will be even less control as refugees jump on the trucks at every service station. A copper mate of mine at Dover is often involved in taking them off the trucks and sending them to detention centres prior to deportation.

As I say I resent our having to bail out the deadbeat nations. They should be expelled from the EU leaving a hard core of the economically competent states.

Looks like HM Gov is offering a £36B divorce settlement. Let's see how that goes down within the Brexiteer Tory ranks and the press.

NeilP

DavidL

Slim

Quote from: DavidL on August 11, 2017, 13:48:00 pm
'The Democrats'   ;D

Yes, hilarious. The essential purpose of this party would be to overcome democracy.